2007 Xterra Off Road Review (long)

XL Bar

Observer
Howdy all,

My wife's Xterra just broke the 5,000 mile mark and I thought I would share some of my impressions of the outfit. Roughly 4,000 miles have been a 70/30 combination of city/highway and 1000 on gravel and unimproved BLM two tracks.

Here is the short version: Good compromise between on road and expedition type trail use. Not a rock crawler.

Here is the long version:

First of all the specs: It is a 2007 Nissan Xterra with the Off Road package, 6 speed manual transmission, desert stone in color, all stock except that I removed the factory installed mud guards for fear of breakage.

First the pros:

Engine: This is where the Xterra shines. The engine is wonderfully smooth, powerful with decent fuel economy. It likes to rev and seems to get most of its power in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range. Passing power from 60 to 80 mph is very good. On a recent trip from Logan UT to Moab we averaged 20.1 mpg for the trip down and 19.6 mpg for the return trip. The vehicle was loaded with two adults, two children, and luggage. Speeds were in the 75-80 mph range most of the 310 mile trip.

Any dislikes I have for the engine are mainly due to the fly by wire throttle which at times seems to have a delayed response to throttle input. It is not a huge problem but is noticeable.

Transmission: I have mixed feelings about the 6-speed. It is a fun tranny and is the main reason we chose the Xterra over the Toyota 4-runner or any of the other utes. It is easy to shift, almost too easy. It much more car like, which I guess should be no surprise as I have recently found out that this transmission is sourced from the Nissan performance cars. First gear needs to be much lower. I don't really understand the thinking behind the new 6 speed manuals in 4x4 vehicles these days. The manufacturers are adding the extra gear in the high range of reduction when all they would have to do is put in a 5.5:1 or 6:1 first gear and leave the rest alone.

Gearing: I believe the Xterra's differential gearing is in the low 3's. Possibly 3.21? It seems too high in off road situations but is fine on road.

Handling: Nissan tuned the steering for high speed highway driving, which results in a slightly stiff feel at low speeds, but very predictable handling at speed. The turn radius seems larger than necessary for a vehicle of this size. The turning stops seem to be set short. Ride is firm and a bit bouncy but that is to be expected.

Nanny systems: The Xterra's version of traction control (VDC) actually works quite well in snow and ice situations (and is necessary with the horrible BFG Rugged Trail tires). It is a little disconcerting at first as this is the first vehicle I have driven with this feature (grinding noises as the computer applies the antilock brakes on individual wheels). The best part about the VDC is that there is an OFF switch! Thank you Nissan for treating us like adults! The off switch is necessary in some situations like mud and slushy deep snow where wheel spin and momentum are good things. We nearly got stuck going through a mud hole in Moab because I forgot about the VDC and it slowed us down almost to a crawl in the middle of the hole.

Interior: Everthing is plastic with a bit of cheapness to it, but functional and well laid out. Visibility of the gauges is excellent. The steering wheel radio controls are a wonderful piece of equipment. The heating/cooling system works very well. Controls are easy to operate without having to look at them. The heater will cook you out of the vehicle and we rarely have the fan over 2 even in single digit conditions. Seats fold flat with a vinyl backing which is nice for cleaning. The locking tracks in the load floor are actually very useful for attaching storage trays and bins. Seats are comfortable enough but only the driver has adjustable lumbar support. Plenty of leg room up front for me (6'0 34" inseam) and decent in the back seat. Kids are not kicking the backs of the seats. The cabin is reasonably quiet at speed and is generally a pretty nice place to spend time both on and off road. Much better than the Jeep Wranglers (TJ/JK) that we drove but not as nice as a 4 runner.

Off road capability: I am naturally suspicious of manufacturers claims but had read good reviews about the Xterra's off road abilities. The brochure that we got from Nissan talks about "tackling category 5 trails" "going anywhere you want to go" "this is one serious off roader". After some ventures up Providence Canyon and Moab, I would have to say that the Nissan marketing department got a little carried away.

The Xterra's off road package consists of a selectable rear locker and an agressive ABLS system. Nissan says that it also includes skid plates, Bilstein shocks, and BFG tires, but...the skid plates are a joke made out of recycled beer cans. I can't believe Nissan would actually put these on a vehicle intended to be taken off road (maybe they didn't actually intend for the Xterra Off Road to be taken off road?) Fortunately the Nissan engineers have tucked most of the vitals up quite high.

The Bilstein shocks are ok but don't seem the same as the Bilsteins friends of mine have purchased for their Tacomas. They seem to fade quicker on heavy washboard. I suspect that they are a low end model.

The tires are P-rated (!!) BFG Rugged trails in a decent 265/75 R16 size with very poor traction. If it weren't for the traction control systems these would have to be changed out immediately. Their durability is very suspect and I am surprised that we haven't had a flat due to a rock puncture.

I have driven the Xterra up many of our local canyons including Providence Canyon which has some decent challenging terrain. The limited amount of articulation both front and rear results in the use of the rear locker quite often. Some Xterra owners are removing the rear sway bar to help in the rear. I may try this but am hesitant to tamper with the on road handling.

We were in Moab for the first time over President's day weekend. We checked out Gemini Bridges both above and below (via Bull Canyon). The Xterra did good on the washboard and pot holes with predictable handling and the aforementioned shock fade. In fact this is where the Xterra shines. It is a very fun vehicle to drive on gravel and unimproved two tracks.

The Xterra cannot and should not compete with a Wrangler in the rocks. It will get through but it won't be pretty. The gearing is too high and articulation is minimal. On the plus side in 4 low throttle sensitivity is lessened which is nice in rough terrain to minimize surging. The locker activates quickly and quietly and the ABLS does work. Approach, departure, and breakover angles (33,29,24.6) are decent. We picked our way down the 3 shelfs just before the Bridges without scraping bottom. On the way back up I wanted to test the ABLS so did not engage the locker. It definitely helped and was trying hard but the poor traction of the Rugged Trails wouldn't let it do its job. Engaged the locker and popped right over the shelf. Stalled out once on the middle shelf. The gearing on this vehicle will not allow you to idle over obstacles. Fortunately there is a clutch start override switch and a good hand brake which allows for easy re-starting on inclines. An auxillary idle control would be nice as the engine idles at around 600 rpm and there just isn't enough low end torque and gearing for certain situations. I just wish the gearing were lower to keep from having to "ram" over obstacles and thus possibly damaging the vehicle.

Further research has revealed that the drive train components on the 05+ Xterras are weaker than the previous models. Keeping this in mind, and as a result of my own observations, we will limit the amount of rock work we do with the Xterra. I also doubt we will increase the tire size on the Xterra as the 265/75 16 and the tucked up underside seem to be fine for most situations. I think that a bigger tire will just exacerbate the gearing problem and cause premature differntial failure.

All in all we have been pleased so far with the Xterra and I believe it will fulfill its role as a daily driver and family expedition vehicle quite well.

durango_60

Explorer
Nice write up. I was strongly considering an X vs. my JK but in the end I follow crazy people into stupid places so the JK was a better fit.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I have an 04 Nissan Frontier, the close cousin to the Xterra. I wonder if the driveline is weaker or if it cant handle the power of a better engine. I think the older versions drivelines are so bombproof because the engine cannot make enough power to damage it. Anyway, good review and good luck.

DBS311

Adventurer
Driveline failures aren't necessarily the result of more power, but because Nissan put an aluminum front diff in there and didn't use the 233 rear axle (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Bergger

Explorer
Nice review and I agree with you on many of your points. We've been driving a 2006 Xterra OR with the 6M for the past 1 1/2 years. We've experienced no problems in the first 16k with the exception of one TPMS sensor going bad. I believe the axle ratio is 3.538:1 and the crawl ratio is 40:1. We love the truck. I think it is one of the best compromise mid sized SUVs out there. It is fantastic on the hwy, dirt roads and moderate off roading. It certainly can't compete with jeeps in the rocks with their available 73:1 (?) crawl ratio but I'd take the Xterra in probably every other situation. I actually feel the shocks do an excellent job. Howver the rear leafs are a bit soft and have a habit of bottoming out over bumps when the truck is loaded down. I plan on adding some timbren bump stops to alleviate that issue. The interior is well designed and it is a great truck to sleep in, fold flat seats and lots of nets and hooks for gear. I too have heard comments about the plastic but so far ours is holding up well. The only place with obvious scratches is the cargo area. I also agree with your review of the tires and skids. However that seems to be almost the norm now. My tacoma trd also came with P rated tires and thin skid plates. All in all I would highly recommend this truck to anyone who is looking for an suv to handle everything but hard core rock crawling.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Great write-up! I have been thinking about the new X and appreciate you taking time to give us your thoughts.

XL Bar

Observer
DBS and Adrenaline,

You are right about the 05+ diffs and the bigger engine. Nissan bumped up the horsepower and weakened the differentials. The front diff is the weakest link. Aluminum cased and has been breaking quite often (according to internet sources, take them for what they are worth), even on vehicles with stock tire sizes. The rear on the manual transmissioned Off Road is a bastard Dana 44 that is weaker than the 04- differentials. The 05s and some 06s were failing so Nissan changed the two spider gear arrangement to a four spider. This so far seems to have cured the problem. The non Off Road auto Xterras have a stouter rear diff.

Of course I found out all of this AFTER we purchased our 07!

Brian

XL Bar

Observer
On a side note:

My wife and I test drove a 6 speed four door JK today. I have been lusting after these since they came out. We were actually going to get one before we decided on the Xterra but got jerked around bad by the local Jeep dealer and walked away before we had a test drive.

Anyhow, we drove one today. Compared to the Xterra the JK is a slug! It feels big and ponderous, dare I say almost mini-vanesque? The gearing was nice and low and I will not comment on the off road capabilities which no doubt are superior. But I just couldn't believe the lack of refinement in the drivetrain and the interior. I understand that this is a Jeep (I have owned and loved an 83 CJ-7 and understand pain and suffering), but for a vehicle aprroaching $30,000 I was expecting a bit more.

We also drove a 2005 TJ sport also with the 6 speed manual, 3.73s D44 axle, running on 31x10.5 BFG MTs and only 30,000 on the odometer. Both my wife and I preferred it over the JK four door! With the TJ selling for $17,000 and the JK at $26,000 my wife said she'd rather get the TJ and buy a trailer and some mods with the difference (That's my girl).

All of my latent 4 door JK tendencies have been exorcised.

Brian

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Just traded my my 01X this morning:( 197K, 5 sets of tires, 2 sets of brakes, and one fuel pump:victory: We bought it new, it was the most reliable vehicle I've owned. The fuel pump was the only nonroutine repair I did. Good luck with yours:) I did swipe the first aid kit for nostagia

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Any insights into whether the Frontier Nismo mirrors the deficiencies (weak diffs, weak skid plate, weak Bilsteins, etc.) found in the X-Terra Off-road?

Webfur

mauricio_28 said:
Any insights into whether the Frontier Nismo mirrors the deficiencies (weak diffs, weak skid plate, weak Bilsteins, etc.) found in the X-Terra Off-road?
I believe so.

All stock skid's are usually weak. toyota does the same.; wouldn't worry about it.
but yes the fronty's have weak diff's

mauricio_28

Adventurer
These weaknesses make me reluctant to ante up for an X-terra or a Frontier, and makes me look to the Titan. The Titan's insatiable thirst, however, makes me look to Toyota (FJ or Taco)...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
It's odd what some people find to be "good" about a 4x4/ORV. Personaly, I like my truck motors to have more in common with Tug-boat motors than race cars. While nice on the highway, the lack of low-end grunt is a real PITA IMO. I'm really impressed that Nissan gave you the optio of the 6spd, but I hear ya about the choice of ratios available, we need deeper gears. Personaly I'd like to see a huge jump from 5-6 and a lower 1st gear.

Glad you're liking your X.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman