2008 4runner platform build

hoptroll

Pool Boy
I recently bought a 2008 4runner SR5, 4WD. I am replacing my 2000 Tacoma that has 230,000 miles on it. Really loved that truck but I commute to work and needed something a little more commuter friendly. The 4runner has been great so far. Really comfortable and easy to drive, and gets a little better mileage than the Taco. My Taco had a nice platform in it for a while that was great to sleep in. Naturally, I thought I would build another for the runner. I love this site and am excited to give back with a build!

Here is what I started with:
ege3utu5.jpg

Promptly removed the running boards and wind deflectors.

uqy6ahus.jpg

My goal was to be able to use half of the truck for storage and half for sleeping, but easily be able to convert it to whatever I need, whether that is cargo room or passenger space.

8e9a9yqu.jpg

Figuring out dimensions

du3epe3u.jpg

Building a storage cabinet for the rear are. Height is about 14.5", 34" long, and 41" wide.

4u4u9uje.jpg

Test fitting

debejuhy.jpg

Divided adds strength and gives me two spaces almost 20" wide for drawers. Divider, front "bulkhead", and floor supports are 3/4" birch ply. Sides are 1/2"

u8y4a6uj.jpg

Top is 1/2" birch ply.

3e6ubyru.jpg

Test fit.

u4u8yren.jpg

Another angle. The rear section is 36", front section will be 36", giving me 6' (I'm only 5'10").

The front is almost done, but I didn't get any pictures because the Mosquitos were out in full force this evening. I am still trying to figure out the best way to support the front, the legs I had planned don't fit like I thought they would. It is definitely enough length for me, I was able to stretch out comfortably. My only concern is the lack of headroom. I might end up pulling out the back seats and lowering it a little bit for better ergonomics. I am going to camp in it this weekend, so that will be a good test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiper

Observer
Set the front directly on the folded down back seats.

I built a similar setup to yours. There's a lip on the front of mine so that an extension board sits flush with the top of the storage cubbies. To set up, you drop the back seats, set the extension on the lip and the folder down back seat, and slide the front seats back until they hold the extension in place. A similar set up could be accomplished with piano hinges, if you didn't want to remove the extensions all together. With the dimensions on my storage cubbies, that means the extension is slightly angled up at the far side. After a day of driving/adventuring/campfire drinking, it doesn't seem to bother me.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Sounds like we have a similar set up, that is what I ended up doing. Testing went well, I definitely want to make it lower though.
7upury6a.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, that platform is really high. I think you're going to find it is a bit of a problem getting in and out if you get in and out via the side doors (and since you can't open the tailgate from the inside, not sure that entering from the back is an option, either.)

Here's my build:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...eping-platform!?highlight=martinjmpr+platform

Which is not as high as yours and I still found it a bit troublesome to get in through the side door. Some kind of step or booster might help. You will also have to watch your head getting in.

Mine was fine once I was laying down, but getting in and out was not so easy.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Martinjmper,

It does need to be shorter, it was a little bit cramped to sleep back there. Getting in and out was not too bad since it is only on one side verses the whole back area like yours. I slept with my head towards the rear btw. The only issue with lowering this platform is I wanted to be able to use it without having to take out the bottom half of the back seat. I like being able to convert it back and forth very easily, although it would not be hard to carry a 14mm socket with me for quick removal when doing some heat of the moment camping like I often do. I think my ultimate long term goal is to build something similar to the campteq campers for the 80 series cruisers but for my 4runner. I probably won't cut the room though and will use it more like a rtt. The holes in the plywood do make a difference, and it is still plenty strong. The plywood that I did that to is 3/4" birch.

Kcdude

Adventurer
What is the length from the folded seat bottom to to rear hatch? I assume you get 2-3" more by being on top of that seat bottom if the front seats are all the way back.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What is the length from the folded seat bottom to to rear hatch? I assume you get 2-3" more by being on top of that seat bottom if the front seats are all the way back.

I think you gain at least 6" by removing the seat bottom cushions.

At 6'1" I need every inch I can get for sleeping so leaving the bottom cushions in was not an option for me.

With a 14mm socket it literally takes about two minutes to remove the seat bottoms. Four bolts and they're out.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
I would agree with martinjmper, it's a significant amount of space. I think I will probably end up just removing them on an as needed basis and carry the necessary tools with me. Going to lower it probably about 4".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears