2008 highlander road legal aux driving lights

summerprophet

Adventurer
So here is an unusual one.

I have a close friend who approached me to provide more lighting for her highlander. She has cataracts, and her doctor strongly suggested she upgrade her vehicle lighting to additional driving lights, or bright fog lights.

I have PIAA fog lights (by definition, low mounted, and not overly bright), and PIAA off road lights (85w, not road legal).

What is the best solution I can give her and put some legal bright lights to the stock fog locations in her highlander.

Much appreciated.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I don't if they have adapters for the Highlander or not, but I put a set of DOT legal Rigid Fog lights in my Tundra and they are nice. Lot's brighter than the stock lights and they have a cutoff so that they don't blind traffic. They are hooked in and work right off the stock switch on the steering column also. If they don't make an adapter to replace the stock lights, you could still probably mount them somewhere else too.

tarditi

Explorer
55w (or less) Halogen are the norm for DOT approval, if inspected.

With LEDs being the rage now, you can get pretty bright lights at less than 55w - it's a matter of light cutoff and aiming.

Bottom line is that most DMVs don't check lights, and if they do I'm not sure they know what to do with LEDs - this means it comes down to a judgement call by law enforcement. If a LEO thinks they're too bright or improperly aimed, they can issue a ticket and let the court sort it out (justified with Dr note or cause, etc.).

There are replacement headlights (sylvania daystars, for instance) that offer brighter bulbs, but your mileage may vary - some say the results are amazing, others say they saw no noticeable effect. This may not be the dramatic increase in light your friend needs, but it could be a good place to start. After that, consider a decent set of KC or Hella driving lights.

odomandr

Observer
She needs to look into a retrofit. Hid planet used to be the go to source for information and parts

Sent from my SM-N910T

PhulesAU

Explorer
IF you want to stick with incandescent lamp, I'd suggest 55w ProComps with fluted lenses. Very sharp flat beams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears