2008 Range Rover - Stripped transmission output shaft

brickpaul65

Adventurer
The dealer (who has always done excellent service for basic stuff) is recommending to replace both the transmission and the transfer case (the bits of the splines are in the case - assumed).

Does any one know any shops that will rebuild the transmission and the transfer case? I would imagine the shaft (on the transmission) and the hub ( on the transfer case) should be able to be replaced and the transfer case cleaned out as well. Isn't that what remanufacturers do? I am in Knoxville, TN. I am just not thrilled with 8k in parts. Still love the car though and it will be getting repaired either way. I am just looking for the least painful and still a quality repair. Can independent shops perform this work?

2008 HSE
70,000 miles

Thanks in advance and sorry for the short and probably not well thought out post.

Lucky8 will be checking on reman'd parts. Hopefully they can lessen the blow if it goes that route and if not at least I know it will have great service!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
That's a really low mileage Range Rover, and not a normal issue.

Definitely get a second opinion from an independent shop. To answer your question - independent shops can generally do anything the dealer can as long as they have the correct computers. You need to find a shop that specializes in Land Rovers and has made the investment in the gear.

The reason that I recommend independent shops (aside from owning one) is that independent shops have more flexibility in repairs. The dealership is going to do it (hopefully) the prescribed Land Rover Way (TM). An independent can work with you to understand what you want and possibly find a more creative solution.

unseenone

Explorer
If it turns out that's what you need...

I can sell you an exchange remanufactured transfer box or differentials. But I know there is a guy in Texas with a great deal on a used transmission and transfer case. The pulled it out, along with the engine to build some kind of 500hp monster. The engine needed head gaskets. I spoke with them on the phone a couple of weeks ago. Here's the ad, I think they just want to unload it, so they make be negotiable. If possible, I'd like to have the old parts, they won't want them. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/4538045646.html

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Those are from an LR3. I was pretty sure they used the same components. Is that correct, that the transmissions and transfer cases are interchangeable?

A.J.M

Explorer
As far as i'm aware, it's the same 6 speed ZF gearbox.
I would be double and triple checking that info however to be 100% sure.

Seems a strange failure to have, did the dealer give any ideas why it has happened?

brickpaul65

Adventurer
This is the first they have seen. Granted it is a small dealership as far as volume. It does seem to be a rare failure mode. I have not seen many occurrences mentioned on the typical forums either.

On other types of transmissions my father (one of the best mechanics in the world - proud to say this and bummed that he lives 8 hours away) has seen the female hub in the transfer case split and then create slop which then strips the output shaft. However, it is an uncommon failure mode in general.

Sometimes crap happens. It says a lot for something like this to happen and for me not to hate the offending vehicle. I had a Saturn that spun a bearing and a 97 cavalier that spat the spark plug out of the head (the aluminum threads fatigued and stripped). Needless to say, I was never again on speaking terms with either vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman