2010 JK won't start on first try

forsakenfuture

Explorer
About three days ago my 2010 JK , automatic, 28,XXX miles started a new trick . It doesn't want to start on the first try. It does crank but won't start. Second start up runs fine. On the rare occasion that it does start the first time it sputters and back fires and has no power for about 30 seconds or so then clears up. Is this a common JK problem? Your thoughts.

dstock

Explorer
Almost 40K here and no starting issues. Possible fuel pressure issue? Fuel pump going south? Or maybe as simple as bad gas, may want to try some gas treatment as a first step.
The fact that it bogs down initially would point me to fuel issue of some sort, seems engine is starved or fuel pressure is lost when it sits. Does it do it every time or just after it's been sitting for awhile?

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Yes was *hoping* it was just bad gas but I've tried Seafoam and 44k with no results. Seems low miles to be a fuel pump . It has the life time warranty but I'm afraid it will be the one thing not covered for some reason. Oh, the Jeep is totally stock expect for Rubicon tires and wheels that the dealer put on.

dstock

Explorer
Maybe quick check of the fuel pump relay as another easy possibility before heading to the dealer.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
FWIW Had that same problem years ago with different type of vehicle, it had water in the tank.

It would restart, first try after being driven, but wouldn't start on first try after setting for 10 to 15 minutes.

btw... I also have a 2010 JKU and it doesn't have your problem.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I have no idea what the JK's use for a fuel system, based on what you are describing I'd guess it is either the fuel pressure regulator or the check valve in the fuel pump. Eithe can cause a loss of fuel rail pressure at start up. If you key it on but don't crank it do you hear the fuel pump come on? ...or if you key it on for a few seconds then crank does it remedy the problem?

forsakenfuture

Explorer
From what I can find it appears fuel pressure should be around 58 PSI. Unfortunately I can not find a fuel pressure tester with the correct fitting. I've tried the Evertough and even a Snapon
master kit. I have a pretty good feeling it is the fuel pump the question is if it is under warranty. I called the dealership and they told me i would just have to wait and see. It is suppose to go in Friday morning. Im really starting to question the JKs reliability.

dstock

Explorer
Im really starting to question the JKs reliability.

I am assuming you have had lots of other problems to make this statement. I'm at close to 40k on my 2010 and it has been rock solid, I've literally made 2 trips to the dealer, 1 for the "hot oil" light add-on, and the other for the soft-top recall. I have no complaints here regarding reliability.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Totally different vehicle, but my 2000 tj did the same thing when it was new. Turns out I was not doing it any favors by running mid grade and premium fuel. It only liked 87 octane.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
It seems that it was bad fuel. I've never had a fuel issue that Seafoam couldn't take care of but this time it didn't. A few nights ago I drove it entell the low fuel light came on then filled it from a different station and has run fine ever since. Thanks for everyones help!

dstock

Explorer
It seems that it was bad fuel. I've never had a fuel issue that Seafoam couldn't take care of but this time it didn't. A few nights ago I drove it entell the low fuel light came on then filled it from a different station and has run fine ever since. Thanks for everyones help!

Awesome, love to hear the simple solutions! I have had the best luck with STA-BIL for dealing with bad gas in case you run across the problem again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears