2010 LR4 tested

haven

Expedition Leader
I hope this is the right forum this time...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=154406

The LR4 is 2010's version of the LR3. Same chassis and body, upgraded interior, new 5.0L engine with 375 hp, bigger wheels and brakes, and improved electronics (including the slick 5-camera terrain viewing system shared with the Range Rover). The LR4 costs a little less than a similarly equipped 2009 LR3.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
here you go
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=154406

Land Rover couldn't really come up with a specific reason why this vehicle should be called an LR4 instead of an LR3. Apart from the bumpers and lights, it looks the same outside, but perhaps the new engine, interior and upgraded electronics add up to another LR, making a total of 4.

At $48,100, the entry price of the 2010 Land Rover LR4 is $1,275 more expensive than a 2009 LR3, a special model that was stripped of content slightly to make it more appealing in the recession-affected market. It might be fairer to compare it to the fully equipped 2008 model, and in this case the LR4 is $1,200 cheaper, despite a $2,600 improvement in content and specification. If you step up to the 2010 LR4 HSE, the price will be $51,750, while the 2010 LR4 HSE Lux will be $56,515.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't know if LR has through through their Alpha-Numeric naming... what are they going to call the next Freelander(LR2)? Will it have to leapfrog and become the LR5?

Stupid stupid stupid.

Blueboy

Adventurer
or possibly now that LR3 is once again open, the LR2 grows and is called the LR3. :sombrero:

totally agree it is just plain stupid versus keeping the model names.

Jaime

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I don't get it. In europe they are still called Discovery. I am lost on the new names, I just don't get it.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
They did it because American auto manufacturers (LR was owned by Ford when this started) continue to think that certain cars are popular because of their names, not because of the content. ie: BMW 3-series, 5-series, etc. Mercedes SLwhatever, etc. etc. Acura, Audi, they all use alphanumeric, so that must be why they're popular.

Dumb.

toyota_jon

Adventurer
I don't know if LR has through through their Alpha-Numeric naming... what are they going to call the next Freelander(LR2)? Will it have to leapfrog and become the LR5?

Stupid stupid stupid.

be really nice if they called it discontinued. IMO that truck isn't even a LR it's a ford abomination. kill the funding for it and put that money into bringing defender back to the US :victory:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I don't get it. In europe they are still called Discovery. I am lost on the new names, I just don't get it.

Also, the Discovery name is so badly tainted in America that they decided to start over. Kinda like Nissan worrying about rekindling WW2 anger and creating Datsun for the American market, or Honda thinking people won't buy a $50k Accord so they call it an Acura.

The worst part is, they're all correct - we are that dense.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
IMO that truck isn't even a LR it's a ford abomination. kill the funding for it and put that money into bringing defender back to the US :victory:

That would be a great concept if the car had been developed during Ford's tenure, or using a Ford platform. Very common misconception.

The worst part is, they're all correct - we are that dense.

I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes, we would hold our negative association had they kept using the same name. However, it's wrong in that, we still have a negative association despite the name change.

Did changing the name of Ford's large FWD sedan from Taurus to 500 reverse our opinion of that boring car? No. Did changing it back from 500 to Taurus increase sales because of higher "market awareness"? No. It is what it is.

The poor quality image of Land Rover goes with the brand, not the model.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I don't care what they call it. I wouldn't keep one even if they gave it to me. I'd sell it and buy a Centaur, which is even less practical. But it would be a heck of a lot more fun. :)

rugbier

Adventurer
The LR3 capability has been beat to death in many forums, ( I own one ) and it is a very nice vehicle.

Would have loved it more if it was called Discovery as in the UK.

After Seeing Sideview's pictures off roading, all of those who claim it is a dog off road, will certainly have to reconsider their statement

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
What's... I dunno... funny, is that I actually really like the LR3 styling. It's "technical". But, the LR4 is pretty boring, particularly inside. I really don't like the new interior, it's indistinguishable from any other car now. They called the LR3 "plasticy" but, at least it had a recognizable identity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online