2010 LR4 tested

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The LR3 capability has been beat to death in many forums, ( I own one ) and it is a very nice vehicle.

Would have loved it more if it was called Discovery as in the UK.

After Seeing Sideview's pictures off roading, all of those who claim it is a dog off road, will certainly have to reconsider their statement
I read through the thread again, can't find anyone who said it was a dog or not capable.

I agree, to an extent about the name. But I can't really blame them. The fact is the Discovery had a bad build quality reputation in the US and they didn't want new buyers making the association.

James86004

Expedition Leader
here you go
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=154406

Land Rover couldn't really come up with a specific reason why this vehicle should be called an LR4 instead of an LR3.

It is called the Discovery 4 elsewhere in the world. And the LR2 is called the Freelander 2.

Land Rover has a spotted history increasing the number for each new model. The difference between the Series II and Series III was even more minimal than between the LR3 and LR4 - only a new dashboard, grille, and gearbox. A few years later, with the Stage 1, it was a much more radical change - a V8 engine, but they did not call it a Series IV.

rugbier

Adventurer
I read through the thread again, can't find anyone who said it was a dog or not capable.

I agree, to an extent about the name. But I can't really blame them. The fact is the Discovery had a bad build quality reputation in the US and they didn't want new buyers making the association.

Tom,

I know NO ONE said it was a dog here, it was an openning statement, a blanket statement about how many people put it down, nothing else.

And yes many people would have probably said " No, not another discovery ", so you are correct.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Noone is stopping you from buying a "Discovery 3" badge on ebay.co.uk and putting it on your vehicle.

toyota_jon

Adventurer
That would be a great concept if the car had been developed during Ford's tenure, or using a Ford platform. Very common misconception.

Humm well thanks for the correction i was always under the impression that ford was the reason for that thing. at any rate, i think giving cars random alapha- numeric designations is retarded. it's one thing if you've built your line like the benz SL and it's always been that. but to just pick something new for the sake of something new, seams pretty dumb. People here in the US still know Discovery, keep it like that. just IMHO.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Noone is stopping you from buying a "Discovery 3" badge on ebay.co.uk and putting it on your vehicle.
I don't know about elsewhere, but if you took it to the dealer here in Atlanta like that, they'd probably say, "those were never imported, we can't work on it". LOL

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I have tried with no success.
Perhaps on my next trip to Europe I will :)
If you seriously want one, my wife is in the UK now and will be back in Sept. I could have her pick one up with some other parts she's bringing back for me.

rugbier

Adventurer
If you seriously want one, my wife is in the UK now and will be back in Sept. I could have her pick one up with some other parts she's bringing back for me.

Tom,

I will be eternally grateful.

Let me know how to send you the dollars

Thank you

Gustavo

MattScott

Approved Vendor
be really nice if they called it discontinued. IMO that truck isn't even a LR it's a ford abomination. kill the funding for it and put that money into bringing defender back to the US :victory:

What is wrong with ford having their hands involved? They've turned jaguar into one of the most reliable brands that you can currently buy. The Jag power-plants are awesome and reliable.

Rumor has it that the LR3 is going to be one of the most reliable rovers we can get here to date. Granted everything has its growing pains, but it seems ford has done nothing but improve Land Rover in general. So they've ditched some rover parts.... why is that a problem? Does anyone seriously like their underpowered 4.0 motors?

I'd love to have a Defender. But remember, Land Rover is a LUXURY brand in this country, we'd probably get that stupid fire and ice edition, or some G-Wagen wanna-be.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
oh BOY! Another thread about Land Rover is about to degenerate into a worn-out and oft-repeated debate!!!

I think we all know that Land Rovers and Jaguars have a reputation for being unreliable. Though my personal experiences with both marques were quite good, I understand that ownership of either does require a certain suspension of disbelief. Now lets move on and talk about something else. How 'bout the cash for clunkers program - everybody loves that! No??? Okay, universal healthcare? Gitmo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior