2010 RRS HD??? Rear locker

Humvette

Adventurer
Guys I got my wife a 2010 RRS Supercharged. How can I tell if it has the rear locker? Can I put any old rear electric locker? Will that mess with the computer?

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
From what I remember, if you put terrain response in rock crawl mode, low range, it should show a little lock symbol in the rear diff on the lcd screen when it has a diff lock fitted. I believe it locks automatically but I'm not sure, can't remember it having a diff lock switch.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
From what I remember, if you put terrain response in rock crawl mode, low range, it should show a little lock symbol in the rear diff on the lcd screen when it has a diff lock fitted. I believe it locks automatically but I'm not sure, can't remember it having a diff lock switch.

Correct. Go to the terrain response screen and it will show you the center and possibly the rear differential lock. Although this is typically not found on Sports.

There is no separate switch, it is completely automated through the various terrain response programs.

It is also not a traditional locker (on or off) - it is a variable limited slip that has the ability to progressively lock up to full lock.

You could not fit "any old electric locker". It's possible that you could fit a complete differential assembly from an LR3 but you would have to add additional wiring and reprogram the computer.

ARB makes air lockers for the front and rear of these now and that would be the viable way to go about fitting a locker to a non-locked diff.

Mack73

Adventurer
I'm not so sure guys - on the LR3 you can have the rear lock symbol without the vehicle having one - again this is the LR3 and may not carry over to the RRS

in the LR3 world the only way to know is to put your eyes on the actuator on the side of the rear diff.

perkj

Explorer
one simple way is to look for a full size spare, assuming the previous owner didn't upgrade to a full spare after purchasing. The HD kit included rear locker and full size spare. no full size spare = no locker.

the absolute way to confirm is to call your local dealer, speak with the service folks and ask then to check the build sheet for your VIN. takes all of 30 seconds for them to check and they should be more than willing to do it for you.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
No such thing as the HD package on the Sport.

If I remember correctly, the Supercharged Sport came with the rear locker standard...

Jwestpro

Explorer
Of all the years I ever looked at all the Supercharged models always came standard with the locking rear differential. This is absolutely true for the full size and for some years that I looked at on the Sport.

A full size spare ONLY means it has a full size spare.

The icon on the 4x4 info screen will show an "unlocked" symbol in vehicles without the locking feature. It just never locks on the screen.

Humvette

Adventurer
Well I looked under the truck
I def do not have the rear locker

I have a full size spare

My screen shows a unlock symbol on the rear diff and in rock mod will lock even in low range.

Does ARB make a front and rear locker or just rear? Will this mess with my computer?

Has anyone done a body lift on one of these? Like a 1.5" or so?

To fit 18" wheels I would have to take off the front 6piston brembo's :(, could I swap the 07-09 brembo's in that easily?

Has anyone taken off there areo side skirts and had them filled with sheet metal?

I think in a couple years I might get another RR for the wife and keep this one for myself ;)

roverandom

Adventurer
The max tyre size you can get away with on a RRS/LR3,4 is a 32" or perhaps a small 33". Any larger and serious packaging and strength problem come into play. Seeing as a simple rod style lift can accommodate a 32-33" tyre there is really no need to go lifting the body.

zelatore

Explorer
I've been thinking lately about the idea of a small, say 1", body lift on an LR3. I understand it should be technically possible, but have not looked into the actual practicalities of it. Seems like somebody smarter than me would have already done this if it were easy...

It would be nice to have this option though. Would certainly help with getting a propper 33" tire under the rig and maybe still being able to roll if/when you get dumped on the bump stops.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Its perplexing to me that your truck does not have the rear locker. I was pretty sure that all Supercharged variants come with it standard. I will have to try to dig up an old order guide to find out more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78