2010 RRS SC 30k service questions

Humvette

Adventurer
Guys,
Disclaimer:
Yes i know i bought an expensive vehicle, yes i can afford it. I would rather save money if possible.

I have a 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
I want to do the 30k service my self, but there seems to be some road blocks
Local dealer wants $650!!!
includes
- oil change
- oil filter change
- engine filter change (2)
- cabin air filter change
- reseting the maintenance system

What i have figured out (let me know if i am wrong)
- Oil = Castrol Edge 5w - 20 full synthetic (2* $49) = $98
http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06242-5W-20-Titanium-Synthetic/dp/B007G7PXC0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1
- Filter = $45 from dealer
-
-
- reseting the maintenance system $45

heck it is almost cheaper to just have them do just the oil change :(

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Yes as you have found out the service can be expensive however it is only required every 15,000 miles.

Some notes for you to consider,

The oil is supposed to be "sucked" out of the engine through a draw tube that is built into the block. If you remove the oil fill cap you will see the top end of this tube. The oil can be drained from the drain plug on the sump however this is not recommended.

Your engine air filters may not need to be replaced. Remove each airbox cover (a dozen or so pozi-drive screws on each, get your electric drill) and inspect them.

The cabin air filter change takes about 3 minutes, it is located behind the glovebox. Be careful as if there is a mouse house on top of the filter, it will drop down into the blower motor housing when you remove it!

The oil required by the 5.0 is a specific formulation and I would not deviate from it.

30,000 miles is approximately when brake pads and rotors would need to be replaced. If yours have not been yet, they are close to being due.

All things considered, it needs to go to the dealership (or a proper independent mechanic) to have the service interval indicator reset anyways so depending on how much your time is worth it may be valuable to just drop it off for the day and have them take care of everything. They will look over the vehicle for any warranty repairs that are necessary, perform updates and service actions, and wash it for you.

Humvette

Adventurer
Yeah that's what it looks like :( .

But do you change the oil every year?

This is my wife's car and she drives 6k a year :)

It is such a nice vehicle I might just have the dealer do it :).

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The oil is supposed to be changed every 1 year or 15k. I would not stretch it much past 18 months. Condensation can start to build up and dilute the oil (that is why it is recommended to change it regardless of mileage).

unseenone

Explorer
I would suggest throwing out the manual with respect to the differential, transfer case and transmission. You should change your differential fluids every 30k. 60K on the transfer case and transmission.

I swapped in EBC rotors at 25k when new, as they said I needed pads and new rotors. I fitted EBC slotted rotors and green stuff pads. I got 80k out of the EBC rotors, and could have squeezed more out of them. There are other high end ones as well, but these I am happy with. This is on an 05 LR3, but more or less the same thing..

Humvette

Adventurer
when i bought the RRS SC it had new rotors and pads all the way around and new tires :) That has to be like a $4000 service lol.

Great advice guys. I spend so much time on my fun cars that i might just drop this one off :)

KyleT

Explorer
Fwiw, if you plan to keep it past warranty, change the oil every 7500.

And the trans filter is built into the pan iirc like the 06-09.

Humvette

Adventurer
Fwiw, if you plan to keep it past warranty, change the oil every 7500.

And the trans filter is built into the pan iirc like the 06-09.

What makes you say this? Engine failures or general precaution?

I will probably change it quicker than that because the wife does not drive that much a year.

When is tran filter supposed to be swapped? Do you have to drop the pan?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I dont remember the interval for doing the trans filter, maybe 75k or 90k? The transmissions in these trucks are stout I would not worry about doing it any earlier than 75k. It is a major job to do because the pan needs to be removed, which requires the crossmember and exhaust to be dropped, and/or one motor mount removed and the drivetrain lifted in the chassis on the passenger side.

The transmission also needs to be filled accurately which is another process entirely. It is all doable in a well equipped home shop but its a commitment.

KyleT

Explorer
The filter is built into the pan. You replace the pan/filter. And you must use oem fluid.

15k is too long of an interval. 7500 is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78