2010 RRS supercharged TPMS system issue

Humvette

Adventurer
The door seal only asks for 38psi. Mine has the factory 20's. I really don't want to bypass it because its the wife's car ... carring presious cargo.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The door seal only asks for 38psi. Mine has the factory 20's. I really don't want to bypass it because its the wife's car ... carring presious cargo.

So the door sticker says 38, the tire has 36 in it, the TPMS light comes on, and the problem is.....? Help me understand!

Humvette

Adventurer
Yes i am completely aware that ambient affects pressure in the tire. I am saying the first thing i did was check all the pressure and the lowest one was on the passenger front and it was 36 psi. All the other ones were right at 38 psi. Our Supercharged RRS came with 20's on it so they want 38 psi front and rear.

recap
- tires are fine and the low pressure tire was only 36 psi and that should not set off a sensor. It was only 2 psi under recommended
- plus the truck said the passenger rear was low and it was not.

Humvette

Adventurer
Okay I just got off the phone with my great service guy at Land Rover Houston North:

They said if its a solid light and not blinking that i just need to reset the sensor.
1) turn on the truck
2) go wheel by wheel and inflate over 44psi but under the cold pressure of the tire (50 psi in my case)
3) once you have done all four wheels the light should go off.
4) once light is off deflait to the door lable appropriate pressure rating (38 psi f/r in my case)

If the light is continually blinking then that means there is a fault in the system and I should bring it in. $350 a sensor (including labor) to swap each out. You cannot just replace the battery, you have to replace the sensor too!

Well I know what i am going to do tonight LOL

Free fix me likes!!!

Humvette

Adventurer
From my other vehicle experience they usually have some room for grace.

Example:
- door says set to 36 psi (corvette)
- the sensor should not alarm at 35.9 psi or it would just become a PITA
- the sensor was set to 18 psi or so. This way you know if there is a problem (read something unusual) Yes i thought 18 psi was low but its a pull over now you have a flat alarm (this was on my 2006 corvette)

That being said i did take the sensors off on my F450 because they just kept going off for no reason. I also have 10ply tires and run at 80 psi (i will hear a flat lol)

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I'm trying to figure what someone from Texas thinks is cold weather :) Just joking. It got down to -30C here last winter not including wind chill. My winter tires are 19" with TPMS and my summer tires are 18" w/o TPMS. I had the computer disable the program.I can tell by looking and the feel of my truck if a tire is low and in the winter, I check them weekly.

Hugh166

Observer
Your front should be 38 psi & your rear should be at 42 psi. If you are at 38 in the rear it's low enough to turn the light on. Also 36 in the front can turn the light on, these trucks only need to see 2 or 3 psi low to turn the light on. Set your you're pressures to the right specs and see what happens, but it sounds to me like setting it to 38 & 42 will fix it.

rlynch356

Defyota
My 2008 LR3 did this all the time.. it was really sensitive to under pressure (~2psi was enough to do it). Solution was to set the pressure in the morning after sitting all night in the cold.
I did change 2 sensors but that did not effect anything (Tire rack & Atlantic British carry after market sensors - as long as the transmit on the same frequency as OEM your good to go once you drive it 4-5 miles to get it to recognize the sensors.)
Any shop can swap out the sensors.

Humvette

Adventurer
Couple updates

Yes I was wrong it says 38/42 f/r tire pressure. I filled them all a week ago and everything looked fine. This week it got cold again (40f) and it's going weird. I have a feeling that the cold is affecting the battery in the wheels???

I filled wash tire to 50 psi and then brought them down to 38/42 f/r psi

I am going to the dealer today so I will ask them wheat they think

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You need to overfill the tires by about 2psi or so in cold weather. This is well known across LR dealers. Standard procedure from October through March or so was to overfill the tires by a bit to stop the TPMS warning from coming on during cold mornings. There is nothing wrong with your TPMS sensors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan