2011 Chevy 3500 Dually build w/H1 24 bolt wheels

swirvin21

Hard Corps
Very cool! I have access to more 24 bolt wheels if that helps. Also, I have some DRW adapters from a 2004 F450 w/ 19.5s that converts from 8 on 170mm to 8 on 220mm pattern. Pretty close to your size. Here's my rig on 24 bolts!

046_zps87c46ff7.jpg

036_zps420dd761.jpg

042_zps9259e26e.jpg

SS350

Very cool! I have access to more 24 bolt wheels if that helps. Also, I have some DRW adapters from a 2004 F450 w/ 19.5s that converts from 8 on 170mm to 8 on 220mm pattern. Pretty close to your size. Here's my rig on 24 bolts!

042_zps9259e26e.jpg

Lookin good! I've been kickin the idea around for my duramax too. Do you use the truck daily? I keep reading about needing to re-torque the nuts but wondered if loc-tite has worked as a solution.

swirvin21

Hard Corps
I've never had a problem with them. At one point in time, I was buying them from gov auctions and reselling, never had a complaint from anyone about them loosening up. If you want to use loctite you can, but be sure to use the light duty Blue stuff and not the Red. The nuts themselves are designed to lock themselves as they are slightly ovaled, but the more often they are removed, the easier they are to loosen. I torque all of mine to 60Ft/lbs, but I've heard others going higher to 70-75.

The only complaint I have with them on a DD are the run-flat inserts. Mine have the low-profile 1 piece rubber run-flats, but there are a few different versions. The military puts a large amount of grease inside the tire to help when the tire blows out or gets shot out and you need to keep driving. Since they are around 30lbs of rubber and the grease isn't necessarily equally distributed, I have a very noticeable vibration at 50-60mph, then it goes away at 65. If I were to cut the mohawk off the runflats and make them just the inner ring, insert, I think it would be greatly improved. Many companies sell nylon and PVC versions of them, but I've seen them crack, so I'm holding out until I can find someone I know with a large enough lathe to turn off the mohawk. Here is a pic of the insert for reference:

028_zps2c025a8a.jpg

They are also making rock rings for the 24 bolts now. These are from a buddy in Oklahoma, but I've seen numerous versions. I'll be welding on the 1st pic version here soon. They are a great option for protecting those studs. Hitting one on a rock or curb is VERY difficult to get off, have to use a very small dremel to cut it out. Since you have access to a machining equipment, you could also make a key to lock a few nuts together or drill out the nuts for safety wire.

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. It looks like you have the older Goodyear MT tires on those rims, they aren't very good tires and have a lower load capacity and are nearly impossible to balance. The tires on my truck are the BFG Baja load E that is basically a mud terrain, but there is also a Goodyear MT/R load E that is an all-terrain and very nice on the road. Both balance well and have noticeably better road manners than the MTs you have right now. Here's some old pics of the tread difference.

BFG Baja

IMG_3822.jpg

Goodyear MT/R

IMG_3823.jpg

There are also 2 different 24 bolt style wheels, a "paired style" with 12 pairs of nuts, and a "evenly spaced" version where they are even all the way around. I've found that the vast majority of the "evenly spaced" rims have D load range tires and the "paired" version have E rated tires, but ALWAYS double check. Also check the date codes: 4 digit # near the inner bead, first 2 numbers are the week # and last 2 are the year. Really old tires have 3 digit codes, they look good off a rim, but on a rim they are too cracked to be safe IMO.

Sorry for the long post!

SS350

Swirvin21, thanks for the info. Good long post with lots of info to work with! You confirmed a few things I had picked up reading elsewhere and brought up some more good info to work with.

Rykstone... lookin good so far i'll be following the progress.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I spend a lot of time there, just on the lake side of the dam.

046_zps87c46ff7.jpg

036_zps420dd761.jpg

042_zps9259e26e.jpg

Rykstone

Navy Rescue Swimmer
My apologies. It sure has been awhile since I have been on here. I have been dealing with my business so I haven't been able to work on the build. I am just staring back up again. Funny how things get put on the back burner. I am actually looking for 5 Michelin XZL 335/80R20's. I posted a wanted ad earlier today. I am not to worried about my MT's that I have now. Most people who get stuck with these tires do not know how to truly drive this tire. However, I am really trying to get ahold of these Michelin XZL's, the same tires that are on the turtle expedition rig. That would ultimately set off my truck. I will of course run a single rear wheel instead of the dually. Actually.....I'm not sure what I would do. It sure would be a kickass rig with dual 335/80R20's on the rear for a total of four. HHHMMMMM. :confused:

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Looks like a great build. I have always liked the look of the 24 bolts, and in the Army, wheels were one thing we never had a problem with on our Humvees. I'm waiting for our tax refund for my lockers, and I still have to build my bed into a camper, but 24 bolts are on my "If I win the lottery" list.

Rykstone

Navy Rescue Swimmer
It has been awhile. We ran into some complications with the wheels bolting up in front. We had to add an adapter on top of the dually front wheel adapter to space it of of the tie rod on our spindle. We are still building the rear wheel spacer to accommodate the inner and outer dual.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78