2011 Jeeps get new diesels -- in Europe

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Did you know that, at least in Italy, the Rubicon 3.8 and CRD versions are both the SAME COST! I just don't get it.....

I do know that I am going to give the engineers at Easter Jeep Safari a big fat ear full next year.....

I swear, I'm about to fly over there, ship one back, and install the chassis in a USA 2011 JK. I think it would even be 'legal' ?

96discoXD

Adventurer
Did you know that, at least in Italy, the Rubicon 3.8 and CRD versions are both the SAME COST! I just don't get it.....

I do know that I am going to give the engineers at Easter Jeep Safari a big fat ear full next year.....

I swear, I'm about to fly over there, ship one back, and install the chassis in a USA 2011 JK. I think it would even be 'legal' ?

I like the cut of your jib. While it would be ridiculously expensive to do you could probably get away with it as long as you don't have emissions testing.

We Americans always seem to get screwed by the big 3 automakers, Europe gets all the good cars and powertrain options while we get the scraps. I think the problem is that the average American consumer is fat, dumb, and happy and not well informed, so they're more than willing to just buy whatever the dealer has on the lot. Just look at the fact that a lot of people used to actually order their new car with the options they wanted, I bet that's less than 2% of retail new car sales for the big 3 anymore.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Aren't all jeep Wranglers ( sans the J8 ) built in north America and then shipped over to Europe anyways? Diesel's and all?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My extremely left,eco-nut buddy was provided with a new diesel Toyota Hilux pickup w/manual 5-speed while in Nicaragua. Needless to say,he was wowed by the performance,quiet operation and economy of that vehicle. Granted,the emissions would be stricter here but there's a huge market here for a diesel 1/2 ton and under.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
As far as Europe goes, I think the Euro V meets or exceeds the 2010 Diesel emissions standards in the USA. Anyone want to confirm?

haven

Expedition Leader
With particulate traps, selective catalysts and urea injection, the European manufacturers have the technology to make their diesel engines conform to USA rules. The fact that some manufacturers have not bothered to do so means that they don't see a viable business model to sell diesel powered vehicles here.

For example, why would Chrysler spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to certify the VM Motori diesel for sale here, when
(1) they would only sell a few thousand diesel vehicles,
(2) they intend to replace the VM diesel with a Mercedes or Fiat diesel engine in Europe in a couple of years, and
(3) gas powered turbo engines such as the Fiat Multi-Air can approach diesel power and economy?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I can't imagine its any cheaper to certify an engine to Euro standards? Their market share there is also pretty small. The diesel Liberty sold 10000 units its first year in the USA if I remember right.

They JUST redid the 2011 2.8L diesel, I can't see them keeping it less than 3-5 years.

While the Fiat engines have potential. I still want Diesel.

The Wrangler in the USA is going to get the Pentastar, and the current JK platform is still going to be around till like 2017 or something. 10 year runs on Jeep body styles are typical. The Pentastar is going to be there golden child motor for mid range power ( 300hp range ), while it might get some Fiat technology, its going to be around for a long while.

jingram

Adventurer
Aren't all jeep Wranglers ( sans the J8 ) built in north America and then shipped over to Europe anyways? Diesel's and all?

Yes, all Jeep Wranglers excluding the J8 are built in Toledo Ohio either for domestic consumption or for export. Like you, this really pisses me off. We are manufacturing the damn things here, the latest 2.8 meets EuroV and when the original 2.8 was offered several years ago in the Liberty Jeep couldn't keep up with demand. It all points to what should be a no brainer decision certify them and release them here for domestic consumption. If anything to bump up your CAFE baseline. Even if certification ran into the low million range it would still be worth it potentially over the long term as that motor could be dropped in a number of things to increase fleet efficiency and offer users choice.

I know that with the stop/start tech (available on the manual models no less)and the high efficiency design of the latest 2.8, I am VERY interested.

Chryco is known for oddball decisions at times though. Look at this years JK for example. They finally appoint it a better than substandard interior and allow you to deck it out with things like heated leather, but then don't offer that package in a monotone version aka black leather/black interior, instead we get this two tone version of black and saddle brown. However when you look at the export models black leather/black interior is available. Again, same factory producing all models and clearly materials are being procurred and are on hand even with JIT manufactoring, so why not offer the option to customers. Same thing goes with the painted hard tops. Seems like that would have been a sensible ala carte option to offer folks instead of limiting it to the Sahara trim line.

Oh well, here is to the 2012 model year... may Fiat/Chrysler take care of terrible ball joints, tie rod ends, steering shafts, steering boxes, and finally see fit to dump in a decent power plant even though every other model in their lineup has seen it this year!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman