2011 season bike purchase/build

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Who is building/buying a new bike for this season? I am building up a Salsa El Mariachi this season. The frame should be here this week. I currently ride a Vassago Jabberwocky, but I will be switching everything over to the El Mariachi. If I end up liking the frame better, I will sell the Jabberwocky. (or vice versa). It will be set up singlespeed, but may acquire some parts to go 1x9/10.

I am excited about this new frame, but I think I'm more excited about building it. :sombrero:

1speed

Explorer
I'm going to try to avoid doing any whole new bikes this year. But...

I am moving my Wife's single speed components from a cheap (but nice) Sette' Reken frame to a Voo Doo Bokor frame and moving all the geared stuff from an old, cheap, HEAVY Gary Fisher Mamba frame to the Sette'.

Also plan on doing some work on the Steamroller: a new Brooks B-17 aged saddle, repaint the frame, change out the red nipples on the wheels to black, and change out the red Candys for some of the new style.

Still need to build the fixed gear wheel for the HBDA-B1.

Have to build a new wheelset for my Look KX Light since I sold the ones that were on it.

May change the stem on my Q Ball single speed and re-build the wheels with Velocity P-35 rims.

Or maybe I should just go ride one of them!:sombrero:

thecriscokid

Explorer
Just picked up my Santa Cruz TallBoy Frame today! I will be waiting a couple weeks for a King headset before I get rolling on the build. I am morphing my hardtail 29er and my Nomad parts onto this frame. This thing is gunna rip...:sombrero:

p71

Observer
I got a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite. Do not think I can justify upgrading for at lease 3-5 more years... Heck I still have my 97 MT Tam which was my previous bike.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Got the frame on Thurs. and built it up today.

IMG_1043.jpg

No trail rides, but I think she's a keeper. Also tinkered with the wife's bike a bit.

IMG_1036.jpg

And did a road ride today on the Stumpy. The Steamroller is getting a new crank and is not yet put together.

IMG_1041.jpg

deadbeat son

Explorer
The new Salsa looks great Han!

I worked in the bike biz from 12/94-12/99, but got away from MTBing at that point. Late last season, I picked up new bikes for both the wife and I. We got a couple of DH rides in at one of the nearby bike parks, and I got one XC ride in. Since our bikes are both so fresh (2-3 rides on them) I'm not planning to replace them or do much to them other than ride the crap out of them this season! I've ridden dirt bikes for the past 5 or so years, but it felt amazing to get back on a MTB. The wife already signed up for the Trek Dirt Camp thing to learn some skills, and we're planning to head south in March for a nice MTB trip.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Oh so you are the guy on MTBR! :sombrero: Nice ride, both of them actually. I'm spending the year upgrading some stuff on my mountain and commuter bikes. Waiting for my new modified SS Shawnee M960 crankset to arrive any day now with the Homebrewed ring. Then trying to decide if I'm going full rigid with a Niner carbon or keeping the Fox I already have. My neck says keep the Fox but my legs are begging for the Niner. :bike_rider:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
@deadbeat - what kind of bikes did you end up getting?

@weezerbot - M960's are so nice. One of these days, I'll get some of those. Or Middleburn/ENO. Niner forks are supposedly the best, but $$$. I'd like to get a Salsa Cromoto Grande to switch back and forth. $90 is much more doable for me. :D

deadbeat son

Explorer
@deadbeat - what kind of bikes did you end up getting?

I picked up a 2010 Specialized Enduro SL Expert from the shop where I used to work. They're a Specialized concept store now, so I didn't have any brand selection to choose from while exploiting my homie-hookup pricing. We got my wife a 2010 Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC50.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Just built a Pivot, Mach 429. New XTR Trail components, 3x10, including the XTR Trail Pedals. Enve Carbon Wheels, Fox Talas thru Axle Fork. Built at about 25 lbs. Great trail bike.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Someone is branding genius. Enve is so much more catchy than, "Your friends are very jealous" wheels.

That bike sounds amazing.

I get a deal on those wheels, so that is why I have them. I am working in Austin quite a bit and that is where the bike is, great for the rocky, technical riding down there.

Can hardly wait to see your new ride. Is that the bike for your race this summer in Colorado?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I get a deal on those wheels, so that is why I have them. I am working in Austin quite a bit and that is where the bike is, great for the rocky, technical riding down there.

Can hardly wait to see your new ride. Is that the bike for your race this summer in Colorado?
I ordered a pair of ENVE rims last month. They're decorating my closet at the moment. I'm saving them for my Colorado Trail Race bike. Not sure what I'll ride for that romp. I may ride my current bike if I feel up for doing it on a singlespeed. Or, I may built up a 1x10. Don't know. Much to be learned in two weeks in Tucson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78