2011 Tundra suspension ideas

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm studying the market for suspension options for a new Tundra. This is not a build thread, that will come later either via a magazine article, my (sleeping) blog, or a thread here on The Portal :)

The truck is a 2011 CrewMax 4x4 and will be built similar to my 2006 4Runner. Although I would like to keep the weight down, I like my armor. The reality is that after I add bumpers, winch, skids, and sliders the truck will be quite a bit heavier than stock, mostly on the front.

Edit- Unless I don't add a big, heavy bumper and winch to the front. Blasphemy.

1) OME 613 springs/struts (heavy-duty for weight) front only with blocks in the rear (blocks not just to save money buy mostly to preserve ride the unladen ride quality).

2) OME 613 springs/struts and the Dakar rear spring packs. My concern about the Dakar springs is mostly ride. Anybody running the full heavy-duty OME suspension with Dakar springs on a 2007+ Tundra? How is it when empty? If I need extra hauling capacity adding overload air springs is another option.

3) Adjustable coilover shocks from one of the big names (Icon, Camburg, etc.)

Price is always a concern and the full OME suspension can almost be had for the price of only the coilers for the front.

The OME suspension will potentially need less maintenance. I haven't had my Camburg coilovers on my 4Runner long enough to see the increase maintenance but in theory this is a concern. I'm in favor of low maintenance trucks, but I do like the ride height adjustability with an adjustable coil-over.

It's seems difficult to find solid information on the new Tundras. On the forums dedicated to these trucks it's clear that most of the individuals lifting and modifying their rigs rarely if ever use them off-highway. My Tundra will be a daily driver, tow vehicle, hunting rig, and off-highway explorer when the capabilities and size of the 4Runner are not needed.

Comments and experiences please.

Last edited:

RR1

Explorer
I like rebuildables over the OME, knowing that I can rebuild them rather than having to buy a new set is worth a lot to me.

I have OME Dakar Heavies on my Tacoma, they are fantastic when loaded, I absolutely hate them unloaded, I carry 500# of sand to have the daily drive somewhat reasonable.

They are getting replaced with either 9 or 10 pack Deavers.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
....snip
I have OME Dakar Heavies on my Tacoma, they are fantastic when loaded, I absolutely hate them unloaded, I carry 500# of sand to have the daily drive somewhat reasonable.
snip........

Though it's on a different platform your comment about the Dakar springs is helpful. There is no need to have a harsh or firm ride all the time, and much of the time the bed will be lightly loaded. Auxiliary air springs seem a good option if needed.

Retarius

Observer
I have the 6-7in Icons on my 08 DC. They ROCK!! I was told they will need to be rebuilt every 1-2 years though. This can be an issue as they only do rebuilds one day a week so you may be stuck with out shocks for a while. They ride great in the dirt and really absorb everything. I am assuming that you want to stay in the 3in lift range. I went 6in and regret it. I run 35s yet you can run 35s with only 3in lift. I actually am trying to pick up a set of stock knuckles to drop down to a 3in lift.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yes, I'm not interested in 6" of lift or 35s. My goal is about 3" of lift and to support the substantial weight I will add to the truck. I will run the stock size tire, which in my case is a 33" 285/70R17.

Does your truck have any added weight/armor on it? Which upper control arm did you use (if any) to correct for the reduced caster after the lift?

RR1

Explorer
I have the 6-7in Icons on my 08 DC. They ROCK!! I was told they will need to be rebuilt every 1-2 years though. .

You can rebuild your own, it isn't that hard to do. The kit is roughly $100, at least for my Camburgs (rebadged Sway-A-Ways)

RR1

Explorer

If it were me. :ylsmoke:

http://www.chaosfab.com/87000.php

87000_tcproject02.jpg

Mekinac

Observer
Here's my OME setup:

2) OME614 FRONT COILS
2) OMEN192S FRONT STRUTS
2) CS055R REAR LEAF SPRINGS
2) OMEN193 REAR SHOCKS
1) FK32 BRAKE LINE BRACKET RELOCATER
4) OMEU53B U-BOLTS

Tundra001.jpg

bjowett

Adventurer
You can let your budget be your guide.

I use my truck in the same way you plan to... and have come to the point of reaching the top end of the market. King IBP shocks and my Jowett/Deaver Work/Play springs. The advantage of coil overs up front is the ability to change the valving and spring rate to suit your tastes.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I've been following your Tundra build since inception bjowett, very nice.
Budget is certainly a factor though I can make either direction work. Simplicity is one draw to the basic OME set-up.

Retarius

Observer
With my 6in kit I have larger knuckles so the stock geometry is maintained and I run the stock UCA. If I were to do it over, I would run Icon 3in coilovers instead of a 6in lift so I still vote for Icon.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I've been studying the suspension and bumper options for weeks, the two are very related because I know I will add some serious weight to the truck as with my past builds. A realistic estimate is +1,000-lb of weight gain after a front bumper, winch, Bud Built skids, a new battery, tools, and other additions are made.

Because the proper, firmer spring rate in front for the nose weight, I'm leaning toward the OME suspension, and also like the 'install and forget it' nature of a simple shocks/struts & springs set-up. But no money has been spent.

zidaro

Explorer
James,
You better start getting some pics of the starting platform up here so we can all drool.

I dont think i would bother with blocks in the rear, waste of $$ and a performance disadvantage by increasing axle-wrap and potential(though not likely) slippage of spacer out of position.
Maybe an extended rear shackle, an add-a-leaf, or just try to run your setup with stock rear and see what you really need. Plenty of room for a slightly larger tire in stock wheelwell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998