2012, 2009 and 2006 70 series Land Cruisers tagged and driving in California?

Elbee

Adventurer
So I was browsing the web and stumbled upon this gem http://www.westcoastcruisers.com/personalGallery.php
If you look closely and compare photos and the fact that "California" is clearly seen on the license plate attached to the vehicles. It looks like this guy has or had a 2012 HZJ76 Land Cruiser, a 2009 HJZ76, and a 2006 HZJ79 Land Cruiser driving around in California. What black magic is this? How can I get in on this action???

Is this guy rolling illegal through half cuts and false vins?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Whole slew of possibilities.

Prepared by a registered importer: legal
Fireman or works in that industry: legal
Miner: legal
Prepares government trucks: legal
Purchased from diplomat or some other legit importer: legal

I personally only get suspicious if the truck is for sale, especially without a legal US title.

You can have any truck you want in this country if you are willing to have it imported by a registered importer. RI exist for this purpose and most often cater to very rich people who want non-legal US cars. Getting it smog approved in your state may be a different story but a RI can get you what you want, legally if you have the cash to spend. If you don't know what a registered importer is try google. :)

Why not simply send the guy a message and ask him rather than assuming it is illegal?

Cheers

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I know which Cruiser you're talking about. I've seen the truck and met the owner. Owner said it cost a lot of money and took lots of paperwork to do.

_DSC3987.jpg

_DSC3990.jpg

_DSC3992.jpg

zimm

Expedition Leader
Whole slew of possibilities.

Prepared by a registered importer: legal
Fireman or works in that industry: legal
Miner: legal
Prepares government trucks: legal
Purchased from diplomat or some other legit importer: legal

I personally only get suspicious if the truck is for sale, especially without a legal US title.

You can have any truck you want in this country if you are willing to have it imported by a registered importer. RI exist for this purpose and most often cater to very rich people who want non-legal US cars. Getting it smog approved in your state may be a different story but a RI can get you what you want, legally if you have the cash to spend. If you don't know what a registered importer is try google. :)

Why not simply send the guy a message and ask him rather than assuming it is illegal?

Cheers

actually, if the car is for sale, its the least likely to be illegal, as the owner is willing to put the paperwork thru legal examination again. there is no such thing as a grandfather clause for shady paperwork, so owners are careful.

most of these cars wouldnt pass strict scrutiny, and you not liking the laws wont change that.

Corbet

Observer
I tend to agree with Zimm but if there is a way to legally get a VDJ76 in my driveway I'm willing to pay. It's really the only logical replacement to an 80 series IMO.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
It's pretty basic as far as the law when it comes to importing cars newer than 25 years old.

If it is legal he will have the nhsta paperwork, the epa paperwork and the U.S. customs bond paperwork.

If a seller cannot provide a copy of all of those a basic state title means nothing.

I'm not trying to knock this guy as he may very well have all that paperwork, but I have seen to many people get burned by illegally imported vehicles.

If you would like to talk to an expert on the subject check out www.importavehicle.com he can explain it all in detail as he deals with it everyday.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
"Let's not let details get in the way of such a beautiful vehicle"

Lot's of <25 vehicles in the US, some somewhat legal, some not so much :D

zimm

Expedition Leader
"Let's not let details get in the way of such a beautiful vehicle"

"somewhat legal" is the same as saying "kinda raped". either it is or it isnt, will or it wont. sometime you dont know until you lose in court, but you do know after.

if someone has that big of a hard on for a truck, make good with a canuck.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
"somewhat legal" is the same as saying "kinda raped". either it is or it isnt, will or it wont. sometime you dont know until you lose in court, but you do know after.

if someone has that big of a hard on for a truck, make good with a canuck.

I chose my words correctly, I'm well aware of the legalities ;)

Chi-Town

The guy under the car

There is no "somewhat legal" when it comes to importing vehicles. People end up buying them because some one tells them that they ok to own with just a state title and next thing you know the feds are confiscating the vehicle and you're out $30k.

Usually the company or person who sold you the car has disappeared or the feds already have them in custody (usually how they find all the sold cars current owners) so you don't have any legal recourse to try and recoup your losses.

I've seen this first hand and it sucks. Play by rules and avoid losing money, heavy fines, jail time.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Do we know for sure they're registered in the US?

Many provinces in Canada only require a rear number plate, and you can put whatever you want on the front.
Lots of people put plates on from their favorite US state, and obviously California is a popular one.

It could be registered in Canada, or pretty much any country in the world...

-Dan

Elbee

Adventurer
well the trucks are definitely in California and it looks like this guy builds the trucks from half-cuts and parts. He gets a complete chassis, body parts, engine and drive train and puts it all together. I think, by the looks of it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33618472@N02/page3/

I did try to send this guy an email initially when I first came across this, but no responses so i'm left to conjecture .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears