2012 canter shock absorber advice

drol87

I have just purchased my first truck.
2012 fuso canter 4x4 12 seater mining bus built by all terrain warriors

I am in the process of converting it to a motor home but recently found one of the front atw shocks has been replaced with a road train shock, which then split the shock mount, I have now had the shock mount reinforced and fixed but am wanting to replace both the front shocks to match each other.

The bus has parabolic springs by atw
I am wondering what people's opinions on shocks are, looking for something comfortable and preferably something reasonably priced in Australia (wa)

Thanks guys

chosen

Observer
Hello and welcome!

Any photos of your recent purchase? I remember seeing a canter of that year and configuration for sale recently but just missed out on it!

Wouldn't it be worth going back to ATW and buying the shocks direct off them... from memory they aren't too expensive as a replacement part?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have just purchased my first truck.
2012 fuso canter 4x4 12 seater mining bus built by all terrain warriors

I am in the process of converting it to a motor home but recently found one of the front atw shocks has been replaced with a road train shock, which then split the shock mount, I have now had the shock mount reinforced and fixed but am wanting to replace both the front shocks to match each other.

The bus has parabolic springs by atw
I am wondering what people's opinions on shocks are, looking for something comfortable and preferably something reasonably priced in Australia (wa)

Thanks guys

12 seater???
Ring Dave in Parts at ATW price and availability. The shocks that would have been fitted by them on all the 2012 Canter bus conversions have valving well matched to the parabolic springs. Most aftermarket shocks are far more suited to conventional springs packs. Not sure where your bus saw it's working life but many of them were driven far too fast along pipeline service roads so the type of damage you described sounds typical. Some were then re-deployed to the Pilbarra mines.
Got any pics? Would be very interested to follow the progress of your build. A 14 seater ( I presume that's what you have) should make an excellent conversion. I always thought a sleeping/seating setup inside with a pullout kitchen/workshop setup on the rear tray would be ideal.

Last edited:

drol87

I have contacted atw but they don't use these shocks anymore, apparently changed to using boss shocks now so i will go with there recommendations and order from atw.

Yes this bus is 14 seater sorry. 12 in the back, i don't have any pics on my iPad but will be taking some soon and will post the build. We have picked up 2x actually one 14 seater I will be building and my dad has picked up one of the 20 seaters? I think... The full size buses
Mine is the one with the tray at the back, which will be home to kiteboarding gear a gen and a road trail.

Inside will be getting the full camper conversion, my dad's company builds and hires campervans for a living and i am an electrician by trade so i am excited for the build.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have contacted atw but they don't use these shocks anymore, apparently changed to using boss shocks now so i will go with there recommendations and order from atw.

Yes this bus is 14 seater sorry. 12 in the back, i don't have any pics on my iPad but will be taking some soon and will post the build. We have picked up 2x actually one 14 seater I will be building and my dad has picked up one of the 20 seaters? I think... The full size buses
Mine is the one with the tray at the back, which will be home to kiteboarding gear a gen and a road trail.

Inside will be getting the full camper conversion, my dad's company builds and hires campervans for a living and i am an electrician by trade so i am excited for the build.

Yes that all sounds great.
Sorry I didn't think there were any buses still running the Boss shocks. They performed very well but had other issues so were dropped early in the development of the parabolic suspension packages.
Should be 11 in the back and 3 in the front cab. They also made a 10 seater (7 in the back +3 in the cab) with a much larger tray but that passenger module would be too small for a camper. The 14 seater you picked up has huge potential for a camper conversion.
Please. please post up any progress photos as you go ....that goes for your dad's bus too. It'll either be a 18 or a 21. The 21 seaters (2 in the cab plus 19 in a 4.7m long module) very run close to the maximum overhang so you can't really have too much out the back like spare wheels or bike racks. The 18 seater (3 in the cab plus 15 in a 4.2m long module) looks like its more in proportion for a tough offroader in my opinion .. although there is obviously less real estate inside.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78