2012 Ford E350 2wd van a good base?

TooSteep

Observer
I am looking for a light buildout that my wife and I can live out of 2 months each winter, mountain-biking around CA, AZ, and UT.

Personally, I think a Toyota truck with a slide-in camper is probably the most pragmatic vehicle for us, with its combination of practicality and affordability. But my wife doesn't care for the aesthetics and she wants us to get a van. Sportsmobile's are out of our price range, so I've been looking at common vans that I can use as a base.

A listing showed up on our local CL the other day for a 2012 E350 with just 60,000 km (40,000 miles) and offered at a very attractive price. I just spoke with the seller who seemed like a good guy. He says that he bought it in August with plans to drive to South America, but that he wants rid of it now because it has had several problems, including a strong shimmy, hi-beams that won't shut off, broken and leaking AC, and other unspecified electrical problems.

I thought I'd ask if the experts here think that any of these problems are a big deal? Are these vans known to be reliable or unreliable? He wants about $9000 USD for it, which seems lower than similar year/mileage vans around here. Worth the risk? What should I be looking for?

I plan to give it a small lift, rear locker and bigger tires, but no plans for a 4x4 conversion. Most of our build work will be to the interior/solar etc...

Here's one of his pics:
2012 E350.jpg

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I am looking for a light buildout that my wife and I can live out of 2 months each winter, mountain-biking around CA, AZ, and UT.

Personally, I think a Toyota truck with a slide-in camper is probably the most pragmatic vehicle for us, with its combination of practicality and affordability. But my wife doesn't care for the aesthetics and she wants us to get a van. Sportsmobile's are out of our price range, so I've been looking at common vans that I can use as a base.

A listing showed up on our local CL the other day for a 2012 E350 with just 60,000 km (40,000 miles) and offered at a very attractive price. I just spoke with the seller who seemed like a good guy. He says that he bought it in August with plans to drive to South America, but that he wants rid of it now because it has had several problems, including a strong shimmy, hi-beams that won't shut off, broken and leaking AC, and other unspecified electrical problems.

I thought I'd ask if the experts here think that any of these problems are a big deal? Are these vans known to be reliable or unreliable? He wants about $9000 USD for it, which seems lower than similar year/mileage vans around here. Worth the risk? What should I be looking for?

I plan to give it a small lift, rear locker and bigger tires, but no plans for a 4x4 conversion. Most of our build work will be to the interior/solar etc...

The E-350 comes in cargo (regular or extended) or passenger (regular or extended) with the 5.4 V8 or the 6.8 V10 in a variety of trims. What is this one's configuration?

I have a 2010 E-350 regular cargo that I really like - but it has taken quite a bit of work to make it reliable. I'm not sure how easy it is to lift the front IFS without major surgery - I did a 4x4 conversion on mine. The stock configuration (2 wheel drive with an open rear) is pretty hopeless anywhere except for dry pavement. Unless you are going for a full 4x4 conversion you will probably get better bang for the buck with just dropping a limited slip into the rear and putting on some reasonably aggressive rear tires. The stock suspension isn't really known for handling problems like the shimmy you report. Makes me wonder if it is a bad tire, rim, or something. The reason U-Haul, etc, love the E-350 for rentals is because the are solid and reliable.

TooSteep

Observer
Which engine? What axle ratio? Cargo or passenger?

E-350 Super Duty passenger van with 5.4L V8 gas engine. I just asked about the axle ratio, and he thinks it is 3.73, but will check and get back to me.

Just to throw it out there, there's also a guy near here selling a cargo 7.3l diesel powerstroke 2003 E350 with 180,000 km (110,000 miles) for the same price. It's interior has already been built out a bit (because it was armored and used to transport mining explosives). He claims it runs very well.armored.JPG

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
E-350 Super Duty passenger van with 5.4L V8 gas engine. I just asked about the axle ratio, and he thinks it is 3.73, but will check and get back to me.

Just to throw it out there, there's also a guy near here selling a cargo 7.3l diesel powerstroke 2003 E350 with 180,000 km (110,000 miles) for the same price. It's interior has already been built out a bit (because it was armored and used to transport mining explosives). He claims it runs very well.View attachment 434028

I would be all over the 7.3. At 110,000 miles it isn't even broken in yet.

DKrause

The combo switch is a POS, but cheap and easy to replace. That should cover the stuck highbeams. There are several vendors who make twin I-Beam lift kits, so there's options there. Properly lifted, with good shocks and tight joints, and you've get a pretty good driving experience.

I'd be more worried about the unspecified electrical problems, there shouldn't be any, except for crappy switchgear. (Seriously, what's up with the engineers at Ford? Switchgear has been a solved problem for decades. But the turn signal switch in the newer vans is inexcusable...)

The wife and I have spent a couple weeks in our '09 EB, with two rambunctious German Shepards. It's tight, but doable.

Deshet

Adventurer
I would be all over the 7.3. At 110,000 miles it isn't even broken in yet.

The regular 7.3 vans are already difficult enough to work on because of space limitations under the hood. I wonder how much more space you lose with the armor plating, I guess it depends on the ballistic ratings. Fuel mileage wise an armor plated 7.3 may do worse then a V10. The few armor plated vans I have seen look like the are limited to on-road usage only.

OP.... How good are you with auto electrical and mechanical? If you are not good, then I would stay away from it. A reputable shop (few and far between) will charge a significant sum to cure electrical and suspension problems. Sounds to me like it may have a rebuilt title, that's why it is probably having electrical and shimmy problems. Or a flood vehicle. Find a better base.
IMO, Ford is the proven work horse van.
FYI: STAY CLEAR OF THE FORD 6.0 DIESEL!!!!!!!! I love Ford vans but the 6.0 was the biggest POS ever created. Period.

FWIW
7.3 or V10 is the way to go.

Mine is the 5.4 with 3.73 gears. Just got done putting on the 6" lift with 34" tires. Now I'm going to put in 4.56 gears.
I didn't go 4x4 because of the 5.4. Just not enough power.

v1.jpgv2.jpg

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
5.4L has the power if geared correctly to the tire size and weight, just won't be a rocketship like the 6.8 or 7.3. Don't forget the transmission could be beefed up and adjusted to give more/better use of the 5.4 power.
4.56 or 4.88 if heading off the pavement.
Look around on this forum, many people have the 5.4 and 4X4 and they are satisfied.

derjack

Adventurer
IF you want to constantly crawl inside the truck - it will be a good choice.

I personally wouldn´t want that! Mine has a higher roof of 8", wich is the least I would tolerate. Depends on climate of course as well, and if you are off-grid all the time or sometimes in areas where you would want privacy inside. As I want a 4x4 Van with a strong engine I ended up with a E350 Quigley IDI. You see strong is relative. In Europe people drive 3 on trucks with 100 horse. I´ve seen people with 6 ton on a 80 HP engine - and they love it!

Besides the 4x4 capabilities I would go for a high roof Sprinter or the older Versions of that. In terms of living in them these are a different universe but with same/ better milage/ cost. If you plan winter - look for an Ambulance Type with a box. Isolation or none exiting one in cold weather will kill every nice aspect of the truck immediately.

5.4L has the power if geared correctly to the tire size and weight, just won't be a rocketship like the 6.8 or 7.3. Don't forget the transmission could be beefed up and adjusted to give more/better use of the 5.4 power.
Look around on this forum, many people have the 5.4 and 4X4 and they are satisfied.

"Satisfied" and "Happy" are two totally different things. LOL

If I were at sea level, yes. I would have done a 4x4, but using the van primarily at 9,000'+, the added weight and resistance would prove annoying. Before I made my final decision I talked to a guy in Golden CO that has a 5.4 4x4 with 35's and he said it works, but....
The other thing I considered was the use of 4x4 here in Colorado on the type of trails that I'm on. All summer, prior to the 6" lift, I had no issues with traction making it to trail heads. At the time I only had a 2" lift with HD coilover springs in the rear. The two main issues I ran into was ground clearance and the overall size of the van. I dragged the azz a lot and if it weren't for the trailer hitch, I'd have no rear bumper. Making a 180 turn up a trail at 15% grade proved to be a nightmare with a 2wd and would only be worse with 4wd. On the road that leads up to Uncompahgre Peak in SW Colorado, even the most bad azz 4x4 van would not make it, something like a Earthroamer couldn't even get up the first 100yds of rock on a 7' wide trail.
IMO a 4x4 would be most helpful on snowy roads before you get to the trail.
BUT, had I been able to find a V10 or 7.3 that was in good shape and for the right price.... You're dam right I would have went 4x4!

Corneilius

Adventurer

Preach it Rob.

Raul

Adventurer
I am on my second van with the 5.4. First a 2000 E150 with 3.73 and 31" tires. Now a 2010 E350 EB 4x4 with 4.10 gears and 33" tires. I am very happy with its performance. On the highway I can cruise all day at 90 if i wanted. I live in Houston, but we go to New Mexico or Colorado at least twice a year and never found these vans lacking power and i am passing vehicles on the mountain passes. I haven't done any hard core off-roading on the 4x4 van, but I think it will be fine on the trails I may want to explore. These things are not rock crawlers.

If you want to impress everybody at the red lights, or if you need to tow an apartment building to go camping, the v10 or the 7.3 maybe a better option. For everything else, the 5.4 will be a great engine, reliable, good performance and easy and cheap to maintain. I do not like the fact that they put the 4r75 transmission (same as the CrownVic and the Town Car) on a full size van, but I never had any issues with the transmission.

Getting a 4x4 van for less than $20,000 will be hard and whatever you get, keep in mind that there will be repairs and surprises to add to the budget. Front bearings on a 2wd will cost you $200, on a 4x4 are north of $800. Building it yourself is not going to be any cheaper: just the brackets, new axles, transfer case, transmission rebuild... will cost you $15 to $20k easily, on top of the original vehicle cost.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor

Here's one of his pics:
View attachment 434029

That is a great price for that van! With our lift kit you replace most of your front end components that may eliminate the shimmy your getting. As far as electrical i am no help.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears