2012+ Fuso FG (US Spec) Expedition Vehicle Platform

causa

Adventurer
Regarding the box (Camper): Design, engineering, and implementation of design and engineering was completely unique to each manufacturer. More so than I was expecting. I started the vetting process with a uniform list of both objective and subjective needs. The result was a “partially met expectations” for all three options. I suppose one could counter that is to be expected from a turn-key solution.

Either the XP, or US spec 2012+ Fuso FG based EC & ATW (Camper AND Vehicle) will be a fine choice for the right person. However, for now I can not see committing such a large sum off money into a turn-key solution where my needs and expectations do not align closer with what is offered. The answer for me may lie somewhere in the middle… semi-custom or semi turn-key.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
....for now I can not see committing such a large sum off money into a turn-key solution where my needs and expectations do not align closer with what is offered. The answer for me may lie somewhere in the middle… semi-custom or semi turn-key.

You need to think outside the box!

No pun intended.

TinyHouseSwoon

DzlToy

Explorer
A gasoline NPR can easily be made 4WD using a transfer case from a Chevy pickup (4L80E trans or 6L90 trans)

Similarly, the auto trans in the Fuso FE is also available in Dodge 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs, again making an easy 4WD conversion.

Any competent 4WD shop should be able to do this for well under the cost of a new FG if you are inclined to consider another platform for your build.

RC trucks in FLA has already done quite a few NPRs (Dana 60 front and NV271 transfer case)

Last edited:

causa

Adventurer
A gasoline NPR can easily be made 4WD using a transfer case from a Chevy pickup (4L80E trans or 6L90 trans)

Similarly, the auto trans in the Fuso FE is also available in Dodge 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs, again making an easy 4WD conversion.

Any competent 4WD shop should be able to do this for well under the cost of a new FG if you are inclined to consider another platform for your build.

RC trucks in FLA has already done quite a few NPRs (Dana 60 front and NV271 transfer case)

I value Mitsubishi's new truck warranty, and new truck financing options. Hard to ignore 3-Year Bumper-to-Bumper/Unlimited Mileage AND 5-Year/175,000-Mile Powertrain limited warranties. Reluctant to tamper with engine or transmission and jeopardize the warranty. Still seems more favorable to go the R&P mechanical advantage route.

DzlToy

Explorer
I wasn't suggesting a new truck purchase. My business partner and I have about six grand into TWO Fuso FE trucks. That extra $45,000 you paid for a warranty will cover a LOT of modifications.

Buy a used truck that is in decent conditon and build it to meet your needs or buy a new $50,000 truck with a warranty and that you can't build to meet your needs due to electronics, no transfer case, emissions crap, no gear choices, no lockers, expensive, no crew cab in 4WD, under-powered, blah out-dated interior, must go to dealer for service, etc.

You are questioning the viability of a 2012 or newer US spec FG, for an expedition platform and IMO, it is terrible platform in almost every way. Additionally, there are better platforms out there on which to build, giving you more options, comfort and convenience and the ability to create a vehicle that exactly meets your needs instead of being stuck with the ONLY choice (is it really a choice, then?) that is offered by a dealer in the US and accepting it by default.

Your ball, I'm out....

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I wasn't suggesting a new truck purchase. My business partner and I have about six grand into TWO Fuso FE trucks. That extra $45,000 you paid for a warranty will cover a LOT of modifications.

Buy a used truck that is in decent conditon and build it to meet your needs or buy a new $50,000 truck with a warranty and that you can't build to meet your needs due to electronics, no transfer case, emissions crap, no gear choices, no lockers, expensive, no crew cab in 4WD, under-powered, blah out-dated interior, must go to dealer for service, etc.

You are questioning the viability of a 2012 or newer US spec FG, for an expedition platform and IMO, it is terrible platform in almost every way. Additionally, there are better platforms out there on which to build, giving you more options, comfort and convenience and the ability to create a vehicle that exactly meets your needs instead of being stuck with the ONLY choice (is it really a choice, then?) that is offered by a dealer in the US and accepting it by default.

Your ball, I'm out....

... and this is why we can't have nice things. If you don't want to have to constantly wrench on your truck, are concerned about the environment, and want to future-proof your purchase a new model of anything is usually a better choice. I get that.

The brakes, motor, transmission are all much better on the new trucks - it's a question of when they get everything dialed in for the type of uses we have for it. More power, less pollution, and apparently the brake pedal actually does something when you press on it. :)

If I intended to only go places where I had reliable access to ULSD I would be going with the new platform.

causa

Adventurer

Your ball, I'm out....

Going back to the last sentence in my original post, “No interest in a used 2007 or earlier Fuso”. Actually, the same applies to any brand older truck platform conversation. Why? Well, just to many unknowns even if I were to find a “decent” truck. Lack of nearby diesel/4x4 centric mechanics known to be competent, uncontrolled labor cost, and time to commit to such a major project are just some of my hesitations in going that direction. Not to mention we would be forgoing the advances in comfort, convenience, economy, and safety one gets with a new Fuso.

For my needs bringing back to life an earlier model Fuso with a worn diesel, transmission,frame, interior, fabricating a new t-case set-up, etc, etc, would be taking the long road to False Economy.

I have zero interest in creating a Franken-Fuso. I have no intentions of building an FG with Unimog like off-road prowess to be used for around the world travel. For me, the currently available US spec FG only need be closer to it's potential as a US (and points North) 4x4 expedition platform.

For now I am contented to be in watchful waiting mode. I look forward to seeing more 2012+ US spec FG owner experiences on The Portal. The current platform will only evolve for the better.

DzlToy

Explorer
You may wish to find someone who owns a 2012+ truck and take an extended test drive on and off road. I have not driven a 2014/2015 FG, but the others I have driven were turd muffins at best. They are bare bones work trucks with awful interiors, power, etc., There is no comfort, convenience or economy in a new FE/FG. If you have tested one already and are happy with it, then that is your decision to make sir. If you have not, please do, so as I would not want you to presume that "newer is better" and be disappointed like I was. My research led me to keep the two trucks I have, instead of purchasing a new model.

Nothing other than the safety factor and maybe some NVH improvements are appealing on the new trucks.

I can only hope that it evolves as you suggest, but IMO it has a long way to go to be worth the asking price.

riptilyaflip

Your ball, I'm out....

For sure it's possible to build a better rig in every aspect, than what is currently offered in a new variety.
However, for those without the know how or connections, it would be a daunting undertaking to say the least, to build a rig from the ground up, as well as time consuming.
Unfortunately, there are not many options in the US for custom expedition vehicle builders, and the few out there seem to be catering to the ultra wealthy.
The reality is; it's like being a custom furniture builder - there's just no money in it.

boostin

Adventurer
I currently own a 06 Fe180 that I use for work..I find the interior nicer then the current model...especially the seats and the independent passenger seats where the center one folds down into a work station.

My main problem is the new ones are more German parts then mitsu. After working at a Euro car repair shop they seem to be far less reliable then the aisin vehicles.

Plus I am really not a fan of the fiat 3.0... I think the best 4cyl to ever come in a fuso was the 4m50. It's a great engine..extremely durable and I am certain that it's built tough enough to make much more then stock power.

As much as I might be one of the biggest mitsu fans out there I think they dropped the ball on the current fuso.

Howard70

Adventurer
I have not driven a 2014/2015 FG, but the others I have driven were turd muffins at best.

Stop the presses! We were so close to having our 2014 EarthCruiser's graphics printed for "Prima Terra". But now we have a real name on the ballot "Turd Muffin" it is. I'm glad that I didn't make the serious mistake of naming our truck after a highly capable, fun, and dependable sailboat that supported us through many adventures in two hemispheres. I'll admit that 16,000 miles of great travel within the western US, lots of remote camping, a reasonable amount of 4x4 travel, and a grin as big as the waxing moon last night every time we roll off the pavement came close to fooling me into thinking I liked this truck. I guess I better dump it quick and get a real expedition vehicle so you guys won't laugh at Heidi and I.

Maybe the whole issue can be summed up by the Talking Heads:

And you may ask yourself
What is that beautiful truck?
And you may ask yourself
Where does that highway go?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right?...Am I wrong?
And you may tell yourself
MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Just remember that a lot of time can go by while you agonize over what platform might be best - or what platform everyone else thinks you need. Or you can get a truck that you think you'll like and start camping.

Prima Terra is in New Mexico, a bit south of Albuquerque. Anyone who wants to actually try out a 2014 Fuso based EarthCruiser rather than just bash the platform is welcome to come by and I or Heidi will spend a day with you - you'll get to drive the truck as well. Fly in to Albuquerque, rent a car and drive to our place. You can stay in the truck and we'll take a drive that afternoon or the next morning and then you can fly home. Form your own opinion, but, unlike much of this thread, you'll be in danger of having an informed opinion based on actual experience. Wouldn't that be a novel thing?

Sorry for the rant. I'm back to trying to figure out the best color for our new graphics.....

Howard L. Snell

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Sorry for the rant. I'm back to trying to figure out the best color for our new graphics.....

Howard L. Snell

Brown, Howard.....brown.

A big plus if it can be rhinolined brown. If you'd like I can airbrush a few blue bottle flies on it too.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I thought this thread seemed familiar

greeneggs.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle