2012 jeep unlimited or 4runner sr5?

Repo503

Adventurer
I love my Rubi Unlimited...but if its also your daily driver Id probably go the 4runner route. Theyre just more civilized and better built. Jeeps are always going to have the cool factor though and their capability is undeniable but for lighter duty offroading and more onroad use the Toyota is going to be a better bet.

The Jeep does have a few things in its favor: New interior and v6 are both major steps up, removeable top and doors (though like you I live in the PNW so I think Ive removed the top all of twice, but just popping off the freedom panels is nice), The biggest Jeep advantage is the aftermarket parts catalogue which is likely the largest for any current production vehicle. There are probably more suspension systems available for the Wrangler than the entire amount of parts available for the 4runner.

The 4runner still has good support though, is more reliable, more comfortable, and in my experience Toyota dealers and service are leaps and bounds better than Chryslers.

Resale value is probably a wash. 4runners hold their value quite well but so do Wranglers, easily the best of any Chrysler product.

Ive seen both at rental places...if youre still on the fence maybe rent each for a week and see how they are to live with day to day.

Last edited:

just eric

Adventurer
Is there any way to keep your built FJ and get a Trail Edition 4 Runner for the wife and kids?

If only life were that easy right? Today we went and drove the vehicles and well, she hates the jeep, and is "torn" between the 4runner and the Taco. I give up. Is it wrong that the more she hates the jeep the more that is the one I Want? :sombrero:

I don't need anything like this but it sure does look nice...
1236993088_iTjr2-L-1.jpg

RangeBrover

Explorer
If only life were that easy right? Today we went and drove the vehicles and well, she hates the jeep, and is "torn" between the 4runner and the Taco. I give up. Is it wrong that the more she hates the jeep the more that is the one I Want? :sombrero:

I don't need anything like this but it sure does look nice...

I like to say that women are like fries in your frosty, they make absolutely no sense but they sure are good.

mebe4running

Aventurier
I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Very nice vehicle on road and great off road. The combination of ATRAC and the rear locker is quite effective on tougher trail sections. I understand they're difficult to find....

For a reason... I know they are low in inventory from the earthquake in Japan. But they are also in high demand.

Owned my 10 4runner for almost two years now... and I still get excited about getting in it and driving somewhere. Particularly after a long crappy day at work!

Is comfortable, reliable, safe and pretty good on gas considering a body on frame SUV of its magnitude. I would consider the KDSS option in the trail if you go down that route. Having the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS)is a Night and Day difference.

Owned a jeep a got over it pretty quickly, to be fair though, I did have bad luck with it.

I am hooked on the 4runner from now onwards.

Good Luck!

just eric

Adventurer
Looks like the DC Taco is gaining steam in her mind while I am in preliminary comms with the local jeep dealer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12