2012 London Olympics - We're coming!

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I was in South Korea for the '88 Olympics. I was working most of the time, but it was still fun.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Mirtes just reminded me that we know one of the Brit's volleyballers; she used to work with his mom in Florida and we met him at the Christmas parties when he'd fly in on holiday.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, let me start by saying I am so glad I did not listen to the naysayers and came here for the Olympic. It's been an absolute blast.

I can confirm that none of the catastrophes that people had predicted happened - using the Tube or any other transportation around the city is not any worst than a regular summer day in Paris.

The bad news is that it turned out to be absolutely impossible to find/buy tickets for any of the events.
The even worst news is that you couldn't even get tickets to the Olympic park itself.

But at the end, it did not matter as it seems like the entire city is celebrating the Olympic
The last time I had seen such an avalanche of patriotism was when I moved the US, right after 9/11.

The fact that Great Britain got so many medals this year also payed a good role in that energy.

So let's show some images:

Mayfair has to be one of the most beautiful city district in the world.

MayFair.jpeg

Who said British can't have a laugh? (well, this guy was Russian).

HappyBouncer.jpeg

AuroraHouse.jpeg

MayfairGlass.jpeg

If you want to most classic travel suitcase ever produce (and possibly the most expensive), this is the place to go.

GoyardMallete.jpeg

GoyardMallete2.jpeg

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
A trip to Hyde Park was a required stop as it is possibly the largest gathering of Olympic supporters.

There is a bit of a queue as they screen your backpack a-la-TSA.

Well, more like 1970s TSA style - the girl in front of us tried to sneak in a 26oz of Whiskey, which they confiscated after offering us to drink it.

:)

HydePark1.jpeg

I believe this is a Citroen Wine-Bar-O-Mobile. Really great concept albeit perhaps a bit slow, but it gives wines even more time to age properly.

HydePark2.jpeg

This is what you do with your kids if they don't behave - put them in a bubble and send them floating away.

HydePark2-5.jpeg

HydePark3.jpeg

There are always things that are left unsaid when promoting an event - like the fact that you seat down on bark. Not the most comfy substance.

HydePark4.jpeg

HydeParkWood.jpeg

Every nation is represented - even the American/Mexican culture is celebrated in this food stall:

MexicanAirStream.jpeg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
One of the best places we found to watch the games and share the excitement is Potters Field Park, right across from the Tower Bridge.

PottersPark.jpeg

PottersPark1.jpeg

TowerBridge0.jpeg

Pretty cool to see the logo folding up to let the boats pass.

TowerBridge1.jpeg

The party in the pubs keep going late into the night

ShipWrightArms.jpeg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
My fiancee is the best in the world - always ready for adventure.

When I found out I would be missing Burning Man this year, I figure renting an apartment in London that "looks" like a mini Burning Man camp could be a good alternative.

camdon3.jpeg

camdon4.jpeg

camdon5.jpeg

Let's just say that we are staying in a very "off-the-beaten" path area of London. Which is what we are looking for when overlanding, right?

It came complete with people living in their trailers in the back yard, just like Shameless on BBC.
There seem to be an unusual amount of single young women with kids in these, but it may just be a coincidence...

camdon1.jpeg

camdon2.jpeg

Apparently the owner likes to collect things that have been used in movie sets, including this chainsaw - I did not ask which movie it was used in...

camdon6.jpeg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
As I a said, the entire city is celebrating, including this religious guy and Kelly from "The Office"

ReligionGuyCelebrating.jpeg

beer.jpeg

FranceClub.jpeg

I am not sure what to think about the mascot.

mascott.jpeg

We made a stop by the House of Nation for a little more swanky scene - just in time to watch the final between Mexico and Brazil.

Houseofnations1.jpeg

Houseofnations2.jpeg

BrazilTeam.jpeg

PersephoneTorch.jpeg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We rented our apartment through AirBnb - it was the first time for us and a very positive experience.

We even got invited to their private party to receive our Gold Medals ceremony - can't remember what it was for, I think the less number of hours slept in 2 days.

GoldMedals.jpeg

We met many other great hosts/guests so it gives us great insight of the type of person using their services.

IanKarina.jpeg

PC.jpeg

Traveler.jpeg

Adventurer
HI,
Thanks for writing this post. You must have had a great time. My story is a lot different and less exciting. I just recently retired. I'm a life long sports fanatic and have always enjoyed the Olympics. It's just so special. But this year was special even more for me. I tried to watch every hour of the Olympic broadcasts on NBC. This is the first time I could do this without work intruding. This screwed up my sleeping patterns to an extent that can't even be described! But, thinking of myself as an Olympic TV competitor with a Gold Medal at stake made it do-able. I must say that I'm glad the Games are coming to an end. I'm tired. But, I got the Gold!

My impressions from my TV is this Olympic Games were extremely successful. And it seemed like the British were in the midst of a national holiday. The Brit's are so enthusiastic and the good medal count didn't hurt. NBC did a good job of trying to be comprehensive with their coverage but it was really impossible to to satisfy everybody. I have some complaints but I think it is impossible to satisfy because each viewer has their own desires. Over all, I think NBC has done an extraordinary job.

Last night, Sat., the network did an hour long program on the London Blitz in WW2. I didn't learn much because I have spent much of my life studying WW2 including reading Churchill's "History of the Second World War". But for a younger generation this time of British and US history is in danger of fading into darkness. What NBC did was gutsy and right. That period, and the entire WW2 experience, can never be allowed to fall into a black hole. And it can never be allowed to happen again. The only way to prevent future wars of this magnitude is to keep the the memory alive. I give NBC a lot of credit.

So, all in all, I wish that I were there experiencing the Olympics with you. But I wasn't. So being an NBC Olympics TV junkie for two weeks was (is) a great experience.

OOPPS: Time for the telecast. Talk to you later.

All Right!! US hoops still reign supreme. Great game. We don't rule like we used to. Spain played a terrific game.

Sparky

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78