2012 Subaru Impreza

haven

Expedition Leader
It's difficult to consider a Subaru Impreza sedan an "expedition vehicle," but I thought I'd post this here because improvements to the Impreza will find their way to the Forester in due time.

The 2012 Impreza was introduced at the NY Auto Show this month. The vehicle is completely redesigned, with an all new unibody and new powertrain. The engine is a new 2.0L boxer four cylinder that provides improved fuel economy. (EPA 27 city, 36 highway with the CVT automatic transmission. Take off 2 mpg if you choose the 5 speed manual trans.) Like all Subarus, the Impreza has full time all wheel drive.

The Impreza's engine used to be a 2.5L. Despite the smaller displacement, the new Impreza has improved performance because the vehicle is lighter in weight. Use of high-strength steel allows the body to be both stiffer and lighter.

The new Impreza sedan and "five door" wagon go on sale this Fall. Models derived from the Impreza, including the WRX and Forester, will be unchanged for 2012. The Impreza's improvements will reach across the line in due time.

An all wheel drive wagon that gets 35 mpg sounds like a good thing to me.

http://www.subaru.com/impreza/2012/index.html

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Subaru is doing something either very progressive or very daring here. They are focusing on fuel economy over power.

The Impreza was the ONLY vehicle update released at the NY Auto Show where the HP and torque ratings went DOWN. This is a big mental block for many people, especially when you consider a drop of about 30 hp (that's from memory - didn't have time to look it up again).

It's either an indication of an early swing to fuel economy first or is going to be a bust for existing Subaru owners who love their peppy 2.5 boxer (I loved mine).

Pete

mtbikerTi

Observer
I'm pretty excited to see what people think of the new engine. No more timing belts along with great mileage for AWD work for me. It might not be the fastest car around, but if gas hits $5 a gallon (or more) I'd rather have the improved mileage.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I'm keeping my 2005 WRX wagon which has the 2.0L turbo. I take the WRX wagon over the Land Cruiser when I know I won't need the high clearance and what not.

Now that Subaru no longer has a factory team in the World Rally Championships, I guess Subaru can move away from the performance aspects and work on fuel economy. Granted, the average consumer does get turned away from Subaru's so-so fuel economy (that's the cost of having AWD).

I hope Subaru continues developing the WRX and STi though. Whereas Toyota has no sports car right now. Well, Toybaru has that concept FT-86/FT-S that seems to keep getting pushed back. Release the FT-86/FT-S already!

Maddmatt

Explorer
I'm not psyched about the CVT - to be honest I haven't driven one, but I think about them and then I think about driving snowmobiles around in the early 80s, and I shudder

But everything else sounds great to me. Especially the 5 door wagon. I was hoping that once the Outback got to the size of a Cherokee that the Impreza would grow to take the place of my Outback. With an extra 10/12mpg.

For round numbers, going from 25 - 35 is a 40% increase. That's huge.

Now that I've done the math, I'll give back 2mpg for a manual....

They have to do this to remain competitive. I found myself at a Honda dealer the other day looking for better mileage. All Subaru models are pretty much the same car. I would have rather seen them bring back the Justy (which is still in production).

Actually now that I think about it, it kinda makes sense. Subaru has been restyling about every five years. But, they change their sports cars less frequently. I think there is a wrx replacement in the works. We had the XT then the SVX now the WRX. I will even venture to guess that the next one will be three letters as well. Or maybe just two.

Didn't I hear something about a Toyota/Subaru joint venture? Something sporty if I remember...

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Didn't I hear something about a Toyota/Subaru joint venture? Something sporty if I remember...

That's the Toybaru FT-86.

2.0L boxer flat-4
RWD
2-door
supposedly under 3000 lbs
6 speed manual or auto
and supposedly in the low $20,000s

Toyota decided to brand it the Scion FR-S Concept. Subaru will have their own body.
01-scion-fr-s-concept-ny-1303323676.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm not psyched about the CVT - to be honest I haven't driven one, but I think about them and then I think about driving snowmobiles around in the early 80s, and I shudder

I have heard (2nd hand) that the new CVTs are much better than the ones that were introduced ~10 years ago. I'll ask my brother, pretty sure his new 2011 Outback Wagon has a CVT rather than a conventional automatic.

Subaru is doing something either very progressive or very daring here. They are focusing on fuel economy over power.

The Impreza was the ONLY vehicle update released at the NY Auto Show where the HP and torque ratings went DOWN. This is a big mental block for many people, especially when you consider a drop of about 30 hp (that's from memory - didn't have time to look it up again).

I think this is smart. IMO most cars, especially commuter cars, are way overpowered anyway. During the period of the 90's-2000's when gas was cheap, everybody kept raising their HP figures in a kind of "arms race" because there was no penalty for doing so. Now that gas prices are going up and staying up, we have to go back to putting HP/torque in perspective - yes, it's important, but it's not everything.

By way of reference, my 97 Mazda Protege has a 1.5l motor that puts out a whopping 95 hp and yet I have no problem keeping up with traffic. Obviously light weight (~2500lb) makes up for the difference and the 5 speed manual helps a LOT. But really, the previous gen Subarus put out circa 175hp - is that really neccessary? Fun, sure, but neccessary? I don't think so.

I remember the first time I drove my 90 Montero with it's 3.0 l, 147hp motor (and this in a 4,000lb vehicle!) and I thought it was perfectly adequate. Not a speed demon, but not a slug like my 84 Mazda pickup either.

Driving hasn't changed, our expectations have changed. We've gotten spoiled by unusually low gas prices from 1991 - 2008 and now we need to adjust our expectations again.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Great post Martin - I absolutely agree.

Europe and Asia has been on this path for years. Look at what they tow with in Germany - a VW Passat pulling a 20 foot caravan on the autobahn. In North America, we "need" (or think we need) a diesel 3/4 ton with 16 cup holders to do that.

I just don't know if enough of the North American audience agrees yet. Has enough expectations changed to move people away from heavy, powerful, fuel eating grocery getters to smaller, less powerful and more economic vehicles?

I respect that Subaru is taking the lead here. I just hope their timing is right.

Pete

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I just don't know if enough of the North American audience agrees yet. Has enough expectations changed to move people away from heavy, powerful, fuel eating grocery getters to smaller, less powerful and more economic vehicles?

I don't see gas prices going anywhere but up. That's going to cause a lot of people to reevaluate their priorities.

We've seen it here on this forum - people with built-up 4x4s who can't afford to drive them anywhere.

A more economical vehicle might not get them to the top of that distant pass, but a decent AWD crossover might get them to the base of it where the rugged 4x4 won't even leave the driveway because it's too expensive to fill up.

haven

Expedition Leader
"...the HP and torque ratings went DOWN. This is a big mental block for many people, especially when you consider a drop of about 30 hp..."

Maybe, but Subaru says the new Impreza is faster and handles better than the model it replaces.

There was no news about any changes to the WRX and other turbo models. BMW's turbo 2.0L gas engine produces 250+ ft-lbs of torque, so there's no reason why a future turbo 2.0L Impreza couldn't deliver WRX-level perfomance.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure the WRC version of the Impreza used a 2.0L engine and it put out 400 or 450 hp I believe?
The big jump in fuel economy is great IMO, and I' sure if an owner does want more power, the aftermarket will help with that. ;)

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure the WRC version of the Impreza used a 2.0L engine and it put out 400 or 450 hp I believe?
The big jump in fuel economy is great IMO, and I' sure if an owner does want more power, the aftermarket will help with that. ;)

That is correct. FIA regulations require 2.0L or smaller.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I think this is smart. IMO most cars, especially commuter cars, are way overpowered anyway. During the period of the 90's-2000's when gas was cheap, everybody kept raising their HP figures in a kind of "arms race" because there was no penalty for doing so. Now that gas prices are going up and staying up, we have to go back to putting HP/torque in perspective - yes, it's important, but it's not everything.

By way of reference, my 97 Mazda Protege has a 1.5l motor that puts out a whopping 95 hp and yet I have no problem keeping up with traffic. Obviously light weight (~2500lb) makes up for the difference and the 5 speed manual helps a LOT.

Modern day cars keep getting heavier and heavier and laden with bells and whistles plus the addition of many safety features like half a dozen air bags.

I remember my 1985 Toyota Celica GT Liftback. It had a 2.4L motor, only had 105 hp, and I got 32 mpg on that. It weighed a svelte 2,487 lbs.

I notice that cars aimed for the American market get big motors with V8's, V10's, 6.5L, 5.0L, etc. The ones in other markets get 2.5, 2.0, 1.6, 1.5L.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78