2012 Subaru Impreza

timzim

Observer
We were all prepared to buy a '12 Impreza, literally (as in we were at the dealer). I'd driven one for a week (with the manual trans), and enjoyed it enough. Good economy, decent space, and AWD. Just for kicks we test drove a '12 Forester and ended up buying it instead. Roomier, more powerful, more ground clearance. The new Impreza is a nice vehicle, indeed, and it's hard to beat the fuel economy on this AWD vehicle. I do like the XV's extra ground clearance, but I prefer the power from the 2.5-liter engine vs. the new 2.0 in the Impreza. I've only got 3,000 miles on our Forester and we've got a BajaRack on the top of it. We're averaging about 24 MPG.

- Andy

Any pics w/ the rack? I, too, recently bought a 2012 Forester and I've been trying to decide about which rack (if any) to buy -- thanks.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Any pics w/ the rack? I, too, recently bought a 2012 Forester and I've been trying to decide about which rack (if any) to buy -- thanks.

Here you go. Been very happy with the BajaRack Mule. Good stuff.

20120908_171910.jpg

- Andy

timzim

Observer
Very cool, thanks. I'm still on the fence about buying one b/c I don't "need" one, it just looks cool. :sombrero:

bnoland

Observer
We bought my wife a 2012 Impreza CVT sedan last May as a college graduation present. She uses it to drive back and forth to work and loves it. It has decent passenger and cargo room. The ride isn't bad ether. So far she averages about 36 mpg. So far so good with the CVT. She drives mostly freeway. We have about 5000 miles on it right now. Nothing off the pavement at this point, I wanted to but she wouldn't let me.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
We were all prepared to buy a '12 Impreza, literally (as in we were at the dealer). I'd driven one for a week (with the manual trans), and enjoyed it enough. Good economy, decent space, and AWD. Just for kicks we test drove a '12 Forester and ended up buying it instead. Roomier, more powerful, more ground clearance. The new Impreza is a nice vehicle, indeed, and it's hard to beat the fuel economy on this AWD vehicle. I do like the XV's extra ground clearance, but I prefer the power from the 2.5-liter engine vs. the new 2.0 in the Impreza. I've only got 3,000 miles on our Forester and we've got a BajaRack on the top of it. We're averaging about 24 MPG.

- Andy

Did you get a 5spd MT or the the 4sp AT? 24mpg barely broken in is stellar.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
WOW, nice choice! The rack looks good too. I hope you're not planning anything too technical or bushy. I'd do a dirt road and a wide open forest road, but I'd sure hate to mess up a nice car sliding into a rock outcroping! :)

Or, are you planning on making it bullet proof?

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I got the 5-speed. I'm not disappointed by the mileage; we knew what to expect with the MPG. However, our other cars get 38 MPG (Toyota Yaris) and 25 MPG (Suzuki Sidekick), so this one is the "gas hog." :D

And no, not planning on anything difficult or technical with the Forester. It's more for dirt roads, camping, and daily driving. My 17 year old Suzuki Sidekick (lift, bumper, winch, MTs, etc.) is for the rougher stuff. I don't worry about the paint on that one. The Forester is our light-duty rig.

I will say, I saw my first XV yesterday, and it was silver. Really like the looks of it.

- Andy

haven

Expedition Leader
Car And Driver has posted a review of the 2013 Impreza XV Crosstrek, which is a wagon version of the Impreza with increased ground clearance. Think of the XV Crosstrek like an Outback treatment for the Impreza.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-20i-test-review

The Crosstrek costs $1200 more than an Impreza with lower ride height, and about the same as a similarly-equipped 2013 Forester. The Forester has a lot more interior space for cargo, but uses about 10% more fuel.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
FWIW, I reviewed the '13 XV Crosstrek on my personal blog, Subcompact Culture. I own a Forester, so the comparison between the two was interesting.

2013-Subaru-XV-Crosstrek-Limited.jpg

I only got about 22 MPG with the Crosstrek equipped with a CVT, which was a bit disappointing, as that's what I get in my Forester. I'd also still like about 20 more horsepower. However, I really like the size and love the looks. It's a pretty cool little rig, and is a good choice for people looking for a compact vehicle with some ground clearance.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/2013/01/review-2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-premium.html

- Andy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78