2012 tacoma modifications

dewhorse

Looking at getting a 2012 Tacoma to replace my aging (ailing 168K) '03 Disco. it will be a quad cab and short bed with the TRD offroad package (auto). I will be using this as a DD complete with the car seat in the back (9 month old) and a light expo vehicle. No rock crawling but heavy weight in the back lots of snow possible.

Looking to add in order of priority;

- camper cap - (not sure which one as I have not experience), it most have the side tilting window adn be able to be locked. I would perferm a utility cap but my wife mentioned being driven in a field tech truck :sombrero:
- Suspension - I have read and seen that these are rather lightly sprung (not sure about the TRD option), not really looking for a lift just heavier capacity. One thig I found from lifting the Discos is it seemed quite hard to keep her head and butt even and driving in snow with a lightened front end is just not a fun time :oops:
- Winch bumper - Always wanted to add this to the Disco but one I realized the cold ***** liked to live at the shop I decided not to invest this kind of capitol into it. from waht I have researched the Tacoma is a long term investment (as much as any truck is)
- Read Bumper - Possible something swing away to carry a spare
- double battery set up

Any ideas on the suspension and cap?

Anything else you can think of would be nice as well

dewhorse

Do you have the TRD on your 2012? hate to think I am paying for this option just to swap it out but if it really is not what I need then I will do so.

wingysataday

Adventurer
ttora.com has more info than you could ever dream of. I have changed my suspension 4 times and am very happy with how it sits now. Do it right the first time and don;t fiddle around with spacers. I have found my truck to very capable in it's current form. Eibach springs up front with bilstein 5100's and some super comp 9000's in back with the alcan add a leaf. Toytec.com They are very capable right from the factory. OME is one of the best but I have never used them. Blessings.

Last edited:

sfsmedic

Adventurer
Do you have the TRD on your 2012? hate to think I am paying for this option just to swap it out but if it really is not what I need then I will do so.

The electronics, locker and traction control alone is what makes the TRD Off Road worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cole S

I put a SnugTop cap on my 2012 DCLB TRD Sport. I got the "Sportsman" option and the win doors. Win doors are the absolute best. Makes access to the bed very easy. Sportsman option increases the load rating of the roof to 500 lbs static according to SnugTop. I have it loaded up with with a Yakima rack, three bikes and a Hi Lift. For me, the SnugTop seems to attach the best with six attachment points to the bed compared to 4 on the Leer (not sure of the others). SnugTop does use a tab and Leer uses a block to attach to the bed rail. SnugTop works great so far. Really happy with it and the win doors.

I did a full OME suspension. Much nicer than stock. Ride is really nice. Stock just seemed to soft for me. I put BFG AT 285/75/16 s on it and that also stiffened up the ride quality. The combination is really nice. Sits a bit taller than stock but it looks really nice. I have put it on some medium technical trails in Colorado and Utah and it really performs well and matches very nicely to the type of driving I expect to do. I have also loaded it up with three people, a dog and gear/ supply for a week in the back country. The suspension handles that load just fine. No complaints so far (9 months in with it).

I have been researching a new rear bumper. For me, it seems like the best option is the Aluminess. Spoke with them several times. You can get it with or without swing arms. I don't think I will get swing arms as the spare (285/75/16) fits well and really does not need to move. You can get bash guards over the rear lights as a special order (big feature for me). The Aluminess works with the stock hitch (again big feature for me). Seems like some of the others don't. I have heard that Slee is building a rear bumper for the Tacoma but have not been able to find out much. Sounds like the Slee will also work with the stock hitch.

I have also investigated the dual battery option. Columbia Overland makes a tray that you can fit under hood. You need two new Odyssey batteries for it. I had considered putting a National Luna battery pack in the bed but I think I am going to pass on that. It is really slick but I don't think I want to deal with that as a space constraint in the rear when I can make it go under the hood. Once you get everything you need to put the Columbia in with batteries and a dual battery controller, the price tag gets near $1000 to $1200. Will make a final decision in the spring on the dual battery.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

enzo

Explorer
Don't buy odyssey, get the die hard from sears. They are the exact same battery but die hard are much much cheaper!

Will they fit the Columbia dual battery tray ok? I plan on getting the Columbia DB tray soon but don't really want to spend that much on batteries.

wingysataday

Adventurer
just run down to sears and measure them or go online. Some have reversed connectors so make sure the posts are on the correct side.

Wicked 2007

Observer
Don't buy odyssey, get the die hard from sears. They are the exact same battery but die hard are much much cheaper!

agree'd! I use their sears platinum 31m - same as the odyssey PC2150

Even better its a single battery you can get on sale for $240 (wait for then to go 10% off!) - 100 amp hours, fits in the stock location. Much cheaper than a dual battery setup and has only 10 amp hr less (100 vs 110) than the dual PC1400 setup.

Stick with a single battery until your power needs justify it. I run a winch, accessories, inverter and an ARB 50 with zero issues. If/when my power needs increase or my stays at camp go longer i would go with a national luna power pack. $550 for the pack and another $240 for a 31m - still a cheaper setup than a dual system. the NL PP has all the benefits of a dual system except that its portable/removable - take power elsewhere or to another vehicle.

For front bumper I would go with ARB and warn winch
ATO makes really nice rear bumpers - I have one and couldn't be happier. I got one with a swing that holds a jerry can and my 35" spare.

EDIT: on sale! $224 smokin deal http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...p-02850131000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I've got a good friend (who's not even a 'casual' off-roader) with a Double Cab Long Bed that I'm slowly bringing over to the dirty side. So far he's picked up a Tuffy LockBox for the bed, a BedRug, and a Softopper.

IMG950035.jpg

All simple, functional additions to the truck bed, and he loves them all so far.

Last edited:

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
It sounds like you are on the right track with your approach.

As SFSMedic said, the OR package is worth the benefits of the rear locker, traction control, and skids. The front springs are a progressive spring and the OR also has a different sway bar, IIRC. The rear springs are light and you will very likely want to upgrade them if you are going to carry anything more than a few bicycles. I'm not sure if anything is different for the 2012 models, but previous US models all had the same sad three-leaf spring pack. I cannot remember who, but there is at least one company out there who makes a heavier duty spring pack that won't add much or any lift. I doubt you will see the same magnitude of front axle unweighting with the Tacoma as you've experienced with the Disco, though. The longer wheelbase will really help mitigate that, even when loaded up. In my experience, the bigger issue with the soft rear springs and heavy loads is reduced bumper clearance, reduce suspension travel, and harsh ride.

If you don't need a new bumper right away, the front springs and stock shocks will do fine. If you add a bumper and winch, you will probably want stiffer springs.

As far as toppers go, I regularly see them on Craigslist for significantly less $ than new, so maybe consider that the right one is one you find on Craigslist.

wingysataday

Adventurer
As things on my rig got damaged I replaced them and had insurance pick up the bill a few times. I didn't scam them, I had legitimate claims and instead of putting on the stock things I just slapped on aftermarket goodies.

Containerized

Adventurer
On suspension, it's pretty simple.

Budget: OME
Better: ICON

On the battery stuff, there's lots of good stuff out there. I'm an Optima loyalist, but realistically nearly any modern battery is probably fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78