2013/2014 4Runner Cargo Dimensions?

epiccosmo

Adventurer
I am looking for the dimensions for the 2014 (which I think have not changed much from the 2013) 4Runner Cargo area with the seats down. Can't seem to find them anywhere online from Toyota or in a forum anywhere.

I am primarily looking for the height from the floor (tray top) to the ceiling. If anyone could measure this it would be greatly appreciated.

To add more context to my questioning. I am considering a 4Runner but want to be able to mount my bikes on the inside of the vehicle. If the height with the seats isn't tall enough then I drop it from consideration.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Not a 5th gen, but I installed a storage deck in my 4th gen that comes up 1.5 inches from the floor to make it level with the rear seats and fit pull out tables.

Here is how a size large 29er fits:

2013-05-05-48 - iPhone.jpg

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Not a 5th gen, but I installed a storage deck in my 4th gen that comes up 1.5 inches from the floor to make it level with the rear seats and fit pull out tables.

Here is how a size large 29er fits:

View attachment 204629

Perfect! This is exactly what I needed to see! Gives hope that this could work. Hopefully between this and a measurement will give me an idea of what I am working with.

Looks like you have to lower your seat?? Correct?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Yeah, in my 4runner you have to lower the 2/3rd section of the rear seat to fit the bike inside. The dropper post makes it easier too :)

Moving Chicane

Already Gone.
Here are my measurements (2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition (5thGen); no OEM third row seating option; has OEM sliding utility tray option):

• 44" at the narrowest point between wheel well intrusions
  • 8" height of wheel well intrusions
  • 36" usable height at rear (rear hatch) of cargo area
  • 32" usable height at front (directly ON folded down 2nd row seats) of cargo area
  • 66" length of cargo area floor rear to front with 2nd row seats folded down
    -2nd row seats folded down are 25" in length (VERY slight angle from rear to front; they do not lay flat)
    -41" tray floor length from rear to front (flat)

I understand that the sliding tray can be removed and you might see an extra 1.5" of height between the floor and ceiling, but I haven't tried this myself.

All measures approximate. Hope this helps!
-Dan

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Toyota 4Runner Cargo Dimensions - Bike Inside

Here are my measurements (2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition (5thGen); no OEM third row seating option; has OEM sliding utility tray option):

• 32" usable height at front (directly ON folded down 2nd row seats) of cargo area
    -2nd row seats folded down are 25" in length (VERY slight angle from rear to front; they do not lay flat)

I understand that the sliding tray can be removed and you might see an extra 1.5" of height between the floor and ceiling, but I haven't tried this myself.

-Dan

Dan, thanks so much for the measurements! This is the best collection of data there is on the cargo dimensions that I have been able to find for a 5th gen T4R. It is exactly what I needed along with the picture posted by Ryan.

Thanks Again!

SIZZLE

Pro-party
For such a big truck on the outside, i was suprised at how little cargo space the new 4Runners have. This and visibility are the main reasons i decided to go with a 2nd gen Tacoma even though the Tacomas are clearly a lower quality truck.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Thoughts on Cargo Area Size/Usability

So, I am bringing this back up from the dead because I am considering a 4Runner again.

I continue to see comments and feelings that the 4Runner has a small cargo area/space but from looking at the cubic measurements on the Toyota site and comparing it to multiple other vehicles it appears the only thing that really beats it out is an LR3/LR4.

Does everyone feel that the cargo area is small? How much have you really been able to pack into the cargo area while leaving the rear seats up for passengers?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I think think it's small. I fit a full size washer and dryer and in the back with the hatch closed. That was with the back seat down though.

esa31.8t

So, I am bringing this back up from the dead because I am considering a 4Runner again.

I continue to see comments and feelings that the 4Runner has a small cargo area/space but from looking at the cubic measurements on the Toyota site and comparing it to multiple other vehicles it appears the only thing that really beats it out is an LR3/LR4.

Does everyone feel that the cargo area is small? How much have you really been able to pack into the cargo area while leaving the rear seats up for passengers?

I've got a 2014 Limited 4Runner with cargo tray and a 2016 Limited with 3rd row and the cargo space is definitely smaller than the LR3/LR4 which I had prior to the 2014 4Runner. If you want max rear cargo area definitely go with the LR4.

epiccosmo

Adventurer

-Dan

Bringing this from the dead once more.....

Dan measured 44" at the narrowest point between the wheel wells. Can someone measure the width of the tops of the wheel wells and what the widest measurement is?

Ask because I have a 47.2"x16.5" Pelican case that I would love to be able to fit on top of the wheel wells.

Moving Chicane

Already Gone.
Bringing this from the dead once more.....

Dan measured 44" at the narrowest point between the wheel wells. Can someone measure the width of the tops of the wheel wells and what the widest measurement is?

Ask because I have a 47.2"x16.5" Pelican case that I would love to be able to fit on top of the wheel wells.

Still looking after another 4+ years? I can check on my 2019 4Runner..... LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears