2013 Subaru Forester (SH9 3rd Gen) going the Expedition route

machine1

Explorer
Your Foz looks amazing man! Has the handling changed much with the extra height and tires?

Thanks! I was driving on the Discoverers (17") and no sway bars before the lift and taller tires, so I didn't notice much of a difference. When I installed the lift I could feel the wind affecting the vehicle more but it's very slight. I do know that it rides softer now with the additional sidewall height.

dstefan

Outbacks in your Texas group?

Hey Machine1 -- nice modding and driving your Forester.

I didn't see any Outbacks in in your vids, but maybe I missed them. Seems like the approach/departure/BO angles favor the Foresters on those trails. Are Outbacks in your group doing those sorts of trails, or not able to?

I ask cause I'm looking to replace my wife's 2002 Maxima with an Outback for it's greater capacity and for a newer long distance highway traveler with some off road chops. Have a fairly well modded Tacoma I use for the serious stuff, but want to have something to camp from after driving 2000 miles to get there when I'm not planning on serious off road. Trying to keep the long miles off my Taco and save it for the tough stuff where needed. HOWEVER, I definitely want the ability to do some tougher mild trails. We even off-roaded that Maxima before I had the Taco, so I know I can't be trusted! Plans be damned. If I see a road I want to go down and I'm not in the truck, I want the best shot at doing it.

Just wondering if you think the Forester has an edge on the more rutty, rocky stuff given it's configuration? Or, are you seeing Outbacks fare OK on that same stuff. Thanks!

machine1

Explorer
Looks like it works great! Can't wait to get mine lifted up before winter sets in and there's no more wrenching.

I'd like to see it when you're done!

Hey Machine1 -- nice modding and driving your Forester.

I didn't see any Outbacks in in your vids, but maybe I missed them. Seems like the approach/departure/BO angles favor the Foresters on those trails. Are Outbacks in your group doing those sorts of trails, or not able to?

I ask cause I'm looking to replace my wife's 2002 Maxima with an Outback for it's greater capacity and for a newer long distance highway traveler with some off road chops. Have a fairly well modded Tacoma I use for the serious stuff, but want to have something to camp from after driving 2000 miles to get there when I'm not planning on serious off road. Trying to keep the long miles off my Taco and save it for the tough stuff where needed. HOWEVER, I definitely want the ability to do some tougher mild trails. We even off-roaded that Maxima before I had the Taco, so I know I can't be trusted! Plans be damned. If I see a road I want to go down and I'm not in the truck, I want the best shot at doing it.

Just wondering if you think the Forester has an edge on the more rutty, rocky stuff given it's configuration? Or, are you seeing Outbacks fare OK on that same stuff. Thanks!

Thank you!

There was a new Outback owner that one of our guys crossed paths with but never got to talk to him at the park. We did find the video he made:

So it looks like a stock Outback can do most of the trails that the stock Foresters can go on. They have the same ground clearance (8.9") but I'm not sure about the approach angles.

Freshlikesushi also drives a 2015 Outback and he takes his on the same trails as the FJ's would go on.

A Subaru would be a great tool for an experienced off-roader like yourself. All you would need are a new set of A/T tires, but I've seen guys in our group with bald street tires do some of those trails out there haha.

I haven't driven either the new Forester or the new Outback. They both have the same drivetrain and both get similar fuel economy, yet the Outback is slightly larger. I would suggest driving them back to back and seeing which one you like better. Be careful with the XT though, you may fall in love with the turbo motor and sacrifice space for power like I did.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
A few things you need to know about the forester and outback. The forester is a much harsher ride compared to the outback. Outback has more front and rear overhang (well I only have rear overhang now lol). The forester is taller, outback is longer. past that they are the same. You cant get Xmode in a forester unless you get leather, ouback even the base model has it. Forester has regular roof rails while outback has the integrated system which is hotly contested by owners.

dstefan

Thanks Machine1 and Freshlikesushi, gives me some food for thought. I think I'm only interested in the OB due to the cargo capacity (my camping kit is sized for the truck, plus I'm a photographer and I can't seem to leave any gear behind!) plus the FLS comment on harsh ride is sort of important as the off road would be heavily wash boarded and I've read other comments about the OB handling that better.

Given load and the elevations in the West, I need the V6. So, when I factor in replacing the stupid 18' wheels to get better tires and inevitably lift it a bit, I'm thinking I need to make a 4Runner comparison. I think we're getting into the same price range. Real impressed by the Subaru capabilities I've seen though in my research, as well as a Forester rental for week in AK a few years ago. I may still go the Subaru route. I have to keep reminding myself it's horses for courses, and I quite often travel in the Taco where the capabilities just aren't needed even a little bit.

I'll post where I end up.

machine1

Explorer
Thanks Machine1 and Freshlikesushi, gives me some food for thought. I think I'm only interested in the OB due to the cargo capacity (my camping kit is sized for the truck, plus I'm a photographer and I can't seem to leave any gear behind!) plus the FLS comment on harsh ride is sort of important as the off road would be heavily wash boarded and I've read other comments about the OB handling that better.

Given load and the elevations in the West, I need the V6. So, when I factor in replacing the stupid 18' wheels to get better tires and inevitably lift it a bit, I'm thinking I need to make a 4Runner comparison. I think we're getting into the same price range. Real impressed by the Subaru capabilities I've seen though in my research, as well as a Forester rental for week in AK a few years ago. I may still go the Subaru route. I have to keep reminding myself it's horses for courses, and I quite often travel in the Taco where the capabilities just aren't needed even a little bit.

I'll post where I end up.

My next choice of vehicle would be a TRD Pro 4Runner. I just wish the fuel economy was a little bit better, that may change with the next gen Tacoma chassis that the next 4Runner will hopefully be based on.

So when the Subaru hits 100K miles, I'll be looking at my options. A Lexus GX460 also looks tempting with its full-time AWD and V8 engine.

machine1

Explorer
So the story ends for the Forester. This was the last I saw of him a couple of weeks ago...

21187362895_dc4d8c4ae0_b.jpg

And with every end comes a new beginning, say hello to the Jeepenwagen:

21200760961_6cf3d0f505_b.jpg

My softroad adventures will continue. See you in the Jeep section of Expo.

Dake21

Adventurer
So why did you opt for the jeep? You did more off roading than initially planned and changed for a better offroader?

machine1

Explorer
So why did you opt for the jeep? You did more off roading than initially planned and changed for a better offroader?

I was shopping around for a funtoy with a solid front axle and a removable top (80's 4Runner) and wasn't happy with what I was finding. Most of them were beat up, interiors were ragged out, needed some mechanical work.

I was also thinking about getting a used Gelandewagen, solid axles, body on frame, but everything in my price range was over 10 years old with over 100k miles. A transfer case alone would have set me back $6K in just parts.

These were going to be a second car while I used the Forester for work. Then I started thinking about it, I realized the Jeep Wrangler had all of these features, and the warranty was 5 years/100K miles. So instead of wasting money on two cars, I could just drive the funtoy to work and not have to worry about fixing it for the next 5 years. Resale values for Wranglers are pretty high and the aftermarket is unlimited.

But to answer your original question, I plan on doing the same amount or less off-roading than before, but I wanted things such as a low-range gearbox, the ability to add locking differentials (My Sport Unlimited has open diffs), and more tire options.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The forester is nice/was nice. But you open up a lot more in the Jeep. If you only plan on doing the same amount of wheeling as you did in the Subaru, I would just add a suspension like I have on mine, and be super happy. As for lockers, true tracs front and rear will be perfect for your application. I have had subarus and just about everything else in the past and the Jeep is the Most fun, best rig I have owned. Your sport still has brake lock differentials, read up on that. It will get you out of things you thought were not possible. Works for us, but I am going true tracs very soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle