2014/15 Ranger 2.2 diesel with mild build for Central Asian expeditions

ryanh1006

Kyrgyzstan Expat
Getting a jump on my build thread here, too excited to wait. Picking up the truck in about a week, just working on the international money transfers and the paperwork now. I've got a variety of stuff in my fleet, but this is the first new vehicle I've ever bought. Super excited about the truck. It's got a 150 hp, 375 N-M 2.2 liter 4 cylinder diesel matched with 6 speed manual transmission and shift on the fly 4x4 and low range (first truck I've ever driven where moving is ok when going into low range!). My friend and employee, Azamat, and I went up to Almaty a few weeks ago to test drive the Ranger vs Toyota Hilux (ended up with Fortuner, no Hilux available for test drive). The difference was shocking. Ranger was more powerful, more comfortable, bigger, and more capable!

Plans are to upgrade tires and add a cap, possibly custom aluminum, to the back. The truck will live it's life hauling people and gear around Kyrgyzstan as well as Tajikistan's Pamir Highway, and might even manage the Wakhan corridor in Afghanistan for a local NGO. I've been hearing a lot good about the new Kenda A/T tires, so might give them a try in 265/70 R16. If I can get a fiberglass cap, I might. Otherwise, I'll have a local welder fabricate an aluminum cap with roof rack for it. Considering extra filtration as our fuel isn't great and doesn't always agree with the common rail systems in these things. Any thoughts on that?

Beyond that we want to keep it simple and hard to break. Oh, and sorry y'all in the US, this is the model they won't sell you because they are afraid it might damage F150 sales.

Here's a couple pics of the test drive truck and the showroom truck.
2015-02-10 15.39.58.jpg

Azamat with their show room truck.
2015-02-10 15.53.27.jpg

ryanh1006

Kyrgyzstan Expat
I'm in the US and hating you right now!!!!!

Just kidding!!!! I don't hate you but I am extremely jealous.

Haha! I'll try to not rub it in...too much that is. Just start petitioning Ford to put the 3.2 5-cylinder diesel in the F150. If it's anything like the 2.2 it's an amazing engine!

Paul B.

Adventurer
Well, I for one told Ford to twist over this one. I've have bought or leased 5 different 4x4 Rangers and 4x4 Explorer Sport Tracs since 1993. Bought them all from the same salesman at the same Ford dealership. (That huge one in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles.) Used them as my daily drivers. I just sold the 2008 model and for the first time in over 20 years, I'm not driving a Ford as my DD. They kept telling me how great the F-150 is, buy one of them. Told them a) it won't fit in my garage, where I like to park the DD, and b) it's too BIG to be my DD. Told them I might be back when they start selling Rangers in the US again.

This "it's gonna hurt F-150 sales" line is BS. A freakin' 4x4 Ranger with a 4 cyl turbo diesel power package??? I'd buy one in a minute.

ryanh1006

Kyrgyzstan Expat
Well, I for one told Ford to twist over this one. I've have bought or leased 5 different 4x4 Rangers and 4x4 Explorer Sport Tracs since 1993. Bought them all from the same salesman at the same Ford dealership. (That huge one in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles.) Used them as my daily drivers. I just sold the 2008 model and for the first time in over 20 years, I'm not driving a Ford as my DD. They kept telling me how great the F-150 is, buy one of them. Told them a) it won't fit in my garage, where I like to park the DD, and b) it's too BIG to be my DD. Told them I might be back when they start selling Rangers in the US again.

This "it's gonna hurt F-150 sales" line is BS. A freakin' 4x4 Ranger with a 4 cyl turbo diesel power package??? I'd buy one in a minute.

For better or worse, this thing is 90% the size of an F150! It probably competes closer with the Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Colorado, and Dodge Dakota than it does directly with the Hilux (though that is growing too) or the old small Ford Ranger. I love the new Ranger, but I really wish makers could keep from bloating every car they make. The new Ford Explorer is the size of the new Nissan Patrol! That's Land Cruiser territory! Anyway, surprisingly, a 2.2 feels quick, so go Ford on a good engine.

Anyway, enough of the rant. One way or another the new Ranger fits my needs perfectly, so it's great they make it.

ryanh1006

Kyrgyzstan Expat
Finally got my Ranger! It's been in the country about a week, but had to go through customs then registration. Got the tags today and took it to the bazaar and changed the tires. Now it's wearing 235/85/R16 BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2s and I have a set of 255/70/R16 Continental CrossContact LX tires for sale in Bishkek. Not only do the tall skinny tires look great, but aired at 2.2 bar they are softer on bad roads than the factory at factory pressure (never checked to see what it was).

Next up need to source a cap for the back.

ryanh1006

Kyrgyzstan Expat
As long as you could get the diesels it would sell like crazy. Getting mid-20s mpg in the city and hoping for 30mpg on the highway. With a 1200kg payload capacity it works out nicely!

Here's the before new tires pic.
3db03d74ebafaf0a6a01934c79706ea9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears