2014 Granite Rubicon Unlimited JK350 Expedition Build

jsek29

Observer
Power and towing questions

Nice build. I have some questions for you:

1) What hp & torque numbers do you think your getting from the hemi?

B) How does it pull the UEV 440?

C) What is the height of the top of your tow ball? What drop on your stinger?

I'm getting ~160 hp/~400 ft-lbs out of a 4BT in our '07 JKU on 35" BFG T/A KO2s and 4.88s. I'm planning on pulling a 440 and am curious how it pulls. I also need to figure out the tow height to get the tongue weight right.

Thanks

west_ok

Adventurer
Nice build. I have some questions for you:

1) What hp & torque numbers do you think your getting from the hemi?

B) How does it pull the UEV 440?

C) What is the height of the top of your tow ball? What drop on your stinger?

I'm getting ~160 hp/~400 ft-lbs out of a 4BT in our '07 JKU on 35" BFG T/A KO2s and 4.88s. I'm planning on pulling a 440 and am curious how it pulls. I also need to figure out the tow height to get the tongue weight right.

Thanks

A) Never dyno'd but supposed to be around 375 HP and 390 ft/lbs

B) Pulls good, I did add Air-lift 1000 air bags (really happy with them stiffer springs would be another option) and a big brake kit from Dynatrac both of which I would recommend

C) So currently I'm using a 3.5"(not 100% on that) drop but that was something that has since been changed with a tongue re design so you shouldn't need as much of a drop as the receiver is higher on the new tongues.
With the 35's and 4.88's with the 4BT I'd think you'd have plenty of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsek29

Observer
Thanks for the info. I wanted to hear from someone with real world experience pulling one, and with your hemi, I thought torque numbers would be similar.

I may add an air assist system once we see how the Jeep rides with the trailer. I have stiffer springs on with the Metalcloak lift, but until the trailer is on it I won't be sure.

I have the bolt in Dana 60s for the JK, which come with bigger breaks. It stops better now than it ever did stock, and weighs in over 7000 lbs!

Your Jeep's a beaut, I love the fastback top and he I power.

west_ok

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I wanted to hear from someone with real world experience pulling one, and with your hemi, I thought torque numbers would be similar.

I may add an air assist system once we see how the Jeep rides with the trailer. I have stiffer springs on with the Metalcloak lift, but until the trailer is on it I won't be sure.

I have the bolt in Dana 60s for the JK, which come with bigger breaks. It stops better now than it ever did stock, and weighs in over 7000 lbs!

Your Jeep's a beaut, I love the fastback top and he I power.

You bet! Yeah the Metalcloaks are what I was thinking about swapping to, they should handle the weight better than the AEV springs.

Oh wow, I bet it does I'd love to have some 60's.

Thanks man, I'd love to see yours! How do you like the 4BT? What kind of mileage do you get? Is it loud? How about vibration? I've heard some people talk about it being hard to balance or something?(not sure how reliable that info was being that I think it was on a forum haha)

jsek29

Observer
I like the Metalcloak setup. Their springs are some of the stiffest on the market for the JK, which works out well with the added weight.

If we were staying in the states, I would have put a built Dana 44 on the front, bigger breaks all around, and called it good. I do love the Dana 60s though, they are super beefy and come with E-lockers.

I like the 4BT a lot. Super low end torque, which translates to crawling wherever we want on the trails. Up the steeps, over the rough stuff, it doesn't seem to care. With the 4.88s, we get between 15 & 19 mpg. When I switch to 4.10s or 3.73s, we should be between 22 & 24 mpg, but that won't be for a few years. It is louder than stock, especially at idle. When cruising, it is only a little bit louder. I turn the radio up a couple of extra notches from what I did with the stock set up. At idle, it vibrates like a paint shaker, which is kind of fun. Once you put some throttle to it though, it smooths right out and is pretty normal.

It is an attention getter. I have had guys back up at red lights to ask what I have in it and how I like it. Every trip to the gas station involves a conversation with someone about the diesel, diesel Jeeps, or the build. We just put it in a container headed for Souuth Africa, so you'll have to wait to see it until our trip is over. We pick up our UEV440 in Johannesburg in February, so I will post up photos then.

west_ok

Adventurer
I like the Metalcloak setup. Their springs are some of the stiffest on the market for the JK, which works out well with the added weight.

If we were staying in the states, I would have put a built Dana 44 on the front, bigger breaks all around, and called it good. I do love the Dana 60s though, they are super beefy and come with E-lockers.

I like the 4BT a lot. Super low end torque, which translates to crawling wherever we want on the trails. Up the steeps, over the rough stuff, it doesn't seem to care. With the 4.88s, we get between 15 & 19 mpg. When I switch to 4.10s or 3.73s, we should be between 22 & 24 mpg, but that won't be for a few years. It is louder than stock, especially at idle. When cruising, it is only a little bit louder. I turn the radio up a couple of extra notches from what I did with the stock set up. At idle, it vibrates like a paint shaker, which is kind of fun. Once you put some throttle to it though, it smooths right out and is pretty normal.

It is an attention getter. I have had guys back up at red lights to ask what I have in it and how I like it. Every trip to the gas station involves a conversation with someone about the diesel, diesel Jeeps, or the build. We just put it in a container headed for Souuth Africa, so you'll have to wait to see it until our trip is over. We pick up our UEV440 in Johannesburg in February, so I will post up photos then.

Haha just wait until you're pulling the 440 fuel up will get even longer. 2 trips across 1/2 the country and I've only had a few fill ups where someone didn't ask "What is that?" Or "Where'd you get that?" Had to open it up a few times for people it's definitely a conversation starter! Haha Yeah I looked at your profile I've been following along on FB, didn't know I was talking to Overlanding celebrities! Have fun on your trip!

jsek29

Observer
Haha just wait until you're pulling the 440 fuel up will get even longer. 2 trips across 1/2 the country and I've only had a few fill ups where someone didn't ask "What is that?" Or "Where'd you get that?" Had to open it up a few times for people it's definitely a conversation starter! Haha Yeah I looked at your profile I've been following along on FB, didn't know I was talking to Overlanding celebrities! Have fun on your trip!

I bet the 440 does bring people in.

Glad you're following along. It should start to get really interesting, we catch our flight to Cape Town this evening! Stay tuned.

SKT

Got a new trailer to tug behind my Jeep.

3304f76624b04f627f50f66ceb31c86c.jpg

6038312338c5eff060817b06be260767.jpg

Awesome set-up!

Any updates on the Jeep?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman