2014 Jeep JKUR ("Q") Overland Build

bjunc

Observer
Welcome to my build thread. After going to 2016 Overland Expo East, and answering many questions about my setup, I figured I would start a thread here, and maybe help / inspire others.

By the way, the name "Q" was coined by my neighbor, in reference to the James Bond character who upfits all the spy cars with gadgets (quartermaster).

The purpose of this build is as an overlanding vehicle, but still function a daily driver (I live in the city, and only drive occasionally).

Since purchasing new in 2014, I've done quite a bit of upfitting, and I'm constantly tinkering (as many are with their rigs). Many experiments/initiatives are half complete, with the intent to stress test them before I fully commit. Once the commitment is made to one component, I go 100% on that item (that's the idea, anyway).

The current state (I will try to keep this list updated):

Initial Foundation
2014 Jeep JKUR, dark grey
AEV JK350 (lift, AEV bumpers, heat reduction hood, Warn winch, BFG 35" Mud Terrain tires, 17" Black Savegre wheels, etc.)
Mopar rock rails

Exterior
AEV roof rack
AEV snorkel
Factor 55 Hawse Fairlead 1.0
Factor 55 FlatLink E (Expert)
Rugged Ridge Black Aluminum Hood Catch
Kargo Master Hinge Steps
AntennaX "The Shorty" antenna (5-inch)
Retrofit Offroad driver's side Rotopax mount (usually with 2 gal gasoline Rotopax)

Interior
sPod with OTRATTW switches
GraBars Grab Handles
Goose Gear rear plate system
Goose Gear Camp Kitchen 2.0 (ARB 50qt. fridge & Cook Partner 22" stove)
Goose Gear double drawer (with top plate)
Removed rear seat, replaced with DIY platform
Mac's Tie-Down Jeep Track Kit (replaces the three rear hardtop bolts)
SHURflo Water Pump
Outback Adventures: JK Trailgater with Bamboo Cutting Board

Lights
JW Speaker 8700J-B LED headlights
Rigid D2 driving lights (mounted at the base of the windshield)
ARB AR21S intensity (replaced IPF lights that came with AEV package)
Rigid Dually flood lights (mounted to rear accessory mast as reverse lights, replaced lights that came with AEV package)

Power
Goal Zero Yeti 400 (with additional Lifeline 12v 33 AH Deep Cycle AGM battery for a total of 66 AH)
(2) RENOGY foldable solar suitcase (100W each)

Navigation
iPad Mini 4
Galileo Offline Maps
SkyPro XGPS160 GPS Receiver

Misc.
ozTent RV5 ground tent
Worthington 6-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder
FrontRunner 45L water tank
weBoost Drive 4G-X Cell phone Signal Booster
(2) Alu-Box 42L (ABA42)
Maxtrax MKII's (with Rhino-Rack Pioneer mounting accessories)
Trasheroo

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6817.JPG

IMG_6944.jpg

Last edited:

rubicon91

Explorer
Oh man nice more pics in and out of this beautiful jeep please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

bjunc

Observer
Oh man nice more pics in and out of this beautiful jeep please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just posted two more. I'll dig up some interior pics as well. Also planning on posting pics from previous phases of the build, for reference.

bjunc

Observer
IPF vs ARB Intensity

After swapping the stock headlights with the JW Speaker LED headlights, I decided to do the same with the IPF 901 off-road lights that came in the AEV package. I chose the ARB Intensity lights. It seems most popular to go with the AR32 model, but my personal feeling is that the proportions are a little too big for the AEV bumper (just my opinion). I also have a little bit of a irrational paranoia regarding airflow to the radiator. So, I went with the AR21S, as I think they are almost a dead-ringer for the size / proportions of the IPF 901 lights. The AR21S are plenty bright, especially when paired with the Rigid D2 driving lights mounted at the base of the windshield.

For reference, here is a pic of the IPF 901 and the ARB AR21 mounted side-by-side:

IMG_6856.jpg

Both mounted (pardon the bug guts...):

IMG_7004.jpg

bjunc

Observer
Goose Gear

Just in time for Overland Expo East, I headed up to OK4WD to install my new Goose Gear storage. Previously, I had two ARB RD745 "cargo drawers", with the ARB 50 qt. fridge on an ARB slide.

When I found out that Brian at Goose Gear was prototyping a fridge / stove combo slide, I knew I wanted it. I think Rin and I have the first two made/delivered.

The plate system mounts to existing holes (no additional drilling). Afterwards, the units mount to the plate system via pre-drilled / threaded holes. It is a very clean install, and very well thought out. The quality is top-notch, and there is literally not a millimeter of wasted space.

I keep recovery gear in the bottom drawer, and tools / misc. items in the top drawer. Kitchen / galley items are in the Alu-box. There is room above the drawers to stack two Alu-box 42L, which I currently seem to prefer (that could change as I play with the organization a bit more).

Here are a few pics:

Initial install:
FrontRunner 45L water tank on top of the drawers

IMG_6931.jpg

Packing up before Overland Expo East:
Alu-box 42L and Renogy "briefcase" solar panel" on top of the drawers

IMG_6939.jpg

For Sale (Best Offer)
(1) ARB RD745 Drawer
(1) ARB 37/50 qt Slide

Last edited:

rubicon91

Explorer
Just in time for Overland Expo East, I headed up to OK4WD to install my new Goose Gear storage. Previously, I had two ARB RD745 "cargo drawers", with the ARB 50 qt. fridge on an ARB slide.

When I found out that Brian at Goose Gear was prototyping a fridge / stove combo slide, I knew I wanted it. I think Rin and I have the first two made/delivered.

The plate system mounts to existing holes (no additional drilling). Afterwards, the units mount to the plate system via pre-drilled / threaded holes. It is a very clean install, and very well thought out. The quality is top-notch, and there is literally not a millimeter of wasted space.

I keep recovery gear in the bottom drawer, and tools / misc. items in the top drawer. Kitchen / galley items are in the Alu-box. There is room above the drawers to stack two Alu-box 42L, which I currently seem to prefer (that could change as I play with the organization a bit more).

Here are a few pics:

Initial install:
FrontRunner 45L water tank on top of the drawers

View attachment 372111

Packing up before Overland Expo East:
Alu-box 42L and Renogy "briefcase" solar panel" on top of the drawers

View attachment 372112

For Sale (Best Offer)
(1) ARB RD745 Drawer
(1) ARB 37/50 qt Slide

Man that looks so clean with the Goose Gear setup. Great work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12