2014 Subaru Forester XT road test

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/163_1304_2014_subaru_forester_first_test/index.html

Truck Trend got a chance to run the 2014 Forester XT through some instrumented tests. The turbocharged 2.0L engine turned in a 2.8 second improvement to 60 mph, compared to the standard 2.5L gas engine. The XT comes only with a CVT, but Truck Trend says it works well with the turbo motor.

Fuel economy doesn't take too big a hit with the turbo. The XT's EPA rating of 23/28 is down 1 mpg in city driving, 4 mpg highway, compared to the standard 2.5L gas engine. Pretty good for today's quickest compact SUV.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I'd have to drive it before I like it, because I definitely don't like how it looks. I hope the CVT is well-tuned. I'm not a CVT guy but subaru seems to have it right, I like the one in the new impreza. They seem to get lost when you're off-roading though. Ever try and climb a hill with a CVT? Yikes.

The towing capacity is really wimpy at 1500lbs, that's pretty pathetic. Is the CVT tranny limiting that?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My friend's a Subaru dealer so I'm able to test drive Subaru or V-Dub products without a salesman. I need to go by and checkout the Forester. Being 6'3",the first obstacle is interior comfort or lack of. I drove the turbo model yrs ago and had a blast. Sucker was quick.

E.J.

Explorer
I'd have to drive it before I like it, because I definitely don't like how it looks. I hope the CVT is well-tuned. I'm not a CVT guy but subaru seems to have it right, I like the one in the new impreza. They seem to get lost when you're off-roading though. Ever try and climb a hill with a CVT? Yikes.

The towing capacity is really wimpy at 1500lbs, that's pretty pathetic. Is the CVT tranny limiting that?

Probably has a lot to do with the new towing standards. I'll bet we see a reduction in stated towing capacity across the board soon.

madmax718

Explorer
Its ironic how the tow ratings are lowered here.. but still just as much overseas. Its just the american will buy the SUV's and trucks- other countries won't buy them unless they absolutely need them. Hence auto makers would like to put you in a high profit SUV over a low profit smaller car.

ssbtech

I see the hood scoop is gone :mad:but the top mount intercooler is retained. How is cool air now directed to the intercooler?

There's a duct between the grille and the hood, affixed to the underside of the hood to direct air to the intercooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears