2015 4Runner w/ KDSS - Skid Plate Decision: ARB vs. the Others

High_Country

Adventurer
I’m struggling with my skid plate decision. I recently bought a 2015 4Runner Trail with KDSS and I intend on continuing to run mild 4x4 trails mostly in the Rockies and surrounding states. A good example of my off-road intentions would be roads like the Alpine Loop in southern Colorado, White Rim Trail, some backcountry discovery routes, etc. I am NOT planning on running the Rubicon in my rig any time soon.

I am a member over at T4R.org and there is a good, long thread discussing the ARB skid plate offerings vs. the much heavier-duty Bud Built, Shrockworks, and RCI products. A lot of the guys at T4R aren’t huge fans of the ARB’s and criticize them for being weak, flimsy, and not offering enough protection. However, I suspect those in that camp are more hardcore off-roaders and rock crawlers rather than “expedition”-oriented drivers. I thought I’d post up here to a more focused similar demographic and get some opinions.

I want more protection than the factory “skids” offer. I don’t mind spending money for quality stuff. BUT, I also don’t want to buy WAY MORE than I need especially at the expense of carrying around extra weight and spending twice as much money (I could buy a set of sliders with the extra $450 I’d spend on the Bud Built’s or Shrockworks). BUT, if the ARB’s aren’t worth it, or truly are substandard or poor performing, I don’t want to spend my money on them.

Thoughts?

Link to the thread and great pics of the ARB’s installed.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/100412-arb-skid-plates.html
Bud Built Front Skid
http://www.budbuilt.com/index.php?p...tegory_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=170
Shrockworks Skid Package
http://www.shrockworks.com/5th-Gen-4Runner-Skid-Plates-2010-2013-pr-16260.html

The BB and Shrockworks are 3/16 inch steel whereas the ARB’s are 3mm (which is a little less than 1/8 inch) and don’t cover QUITE as much. The ARB’s are also a little less than half as much money (about $450 vs a bit over $900) and would obviously weigh less. The ARB skids come finished whereas the others come bare (unless you pay additional for powdercoating).

Adventurous

Explorer
I hear you on this dilemma as I'm in the same boat myself. Keep in mind that Bud Built offers more than just 3/16" steel skid plates, they also offer aluminum in 1/4" which should provide weight savings, though they come at a premium price wise. Bud Built also offers a "Lite Steel" option at 1/8". Both of those should offer increased protection over the stock offerings while still keeping an eye on weight.

If none of that works out I'm sure you could contract a local builder to hook you up with a set of say, 1/8" aluminum ones. Only problem there is that you'd have to design them yourself, but it might get you what you are looking for.

High_Country

Adventurer
Thanks for the thoughts.

I’ll do some checking on the aluminum offerings but as you mentioned, I’m worried about price - recognizing you have to go to a thicker aluminum to achieve equivalent strength. Also, I’m not afraid to design/build something myself, but a full set of skids could take quite a bit of time to do right and achieve good strength with gusseting, access and bolt holes, and such. The older (and busier) I get, I don’t mind paying for an already researched, designed, and built product!

Maybe a better way to state the question is: Given my intended use, will the ARB skid plates offer the protection necessary and perform well or should I step up to the heavier duty offerings?

High_Country

Adventurer
A shameless, selfish bump to my own thread....:rolleyes:

Surely there's guys out here that have experience running ARB skids - no? Maybe the thread title is to to blame - too specific.

Does anyone have any experience with ARB skids - IN GENERAL? I'm assuming ARB would stamp them all out of the same material and finish them the same. I'm just looking for some feedback on the product (good or bad) for my intended use.

Do they wad up like tinfoil? Sufficient for overlanding/expedition style travel?

w_reeves

I have no experience with the ARB skids but I do have a T-case skid in Aluminum from RCI. I got in on a group buy on Tacoma World. The cross member is 3/16th steel but I took a bad line down a rocky drop off and landed on the skid and of course the aluminum bent but held up great and possibly saved my t case. I will be getting the IFS in aluminum during the next group buy for my Tacoma. I like ARB but I like supporting the little guys when I can.

Box Rocket

Take a look at the front skidplate for the new TRDPro 4Runner. Looks like a good quality true skidplate and it's aluminum. Should be able to get it through any dealer.
Toyota-4Runner_TRD_Pro_Series_2015_3452342.jpg

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I'm running the BB Lite Steel aka Expo Skids. So far so good. They give me a piece of mind, have access for oil change & offer some weight savings. They've taken some scrapes & hits just fine. If I was planning on more rock crawling Id opt for thicker steel but for my 4Rs usage 1/8 should suffice.

High_Country

Adventurer
I'm running the BB Lite Steel aka Expo Skids. So far so good. They give me a piece of mind, have access for oil change & offer some weight savings. They've taken some scrapes & hits just fine. If I was planning on more rock crawling Id opt for thicker steel but for my 4Rs usage 1/8 should suffice.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't realize BB had 'lite' skids. Looking at their website it looks like you can select the lite skids for everything but the front skid. But, curiously, the website doesn't show any cost savings for going with the lite (1/8") skids vs the standard 3/16".

Did you get a price break for going with the light ones?

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Unfortunately no cost savings even though it's less steel. I ordered online but I wonder if you talk to them if they might cut you a little break.

sandcrawler

Observer
Take a look at the front skidplate for the new TRDPro 4Runner. Looks like a good quality true skidplate and it's aluminum. Should be able to get it through any dealer.
Toyota-4Runner_TRD_Pro_Series_2015_3452342.jpg
just a heads up that the new TRD Pro front skid isn't compatible with KDSS (which OP notes he has). seems fairly trivial to trim it to accommodate the movement of the thicker KDSS sway bars but no one has done it yet, to my knowledge.

Dalko43

Explorer
Not sure if OP is still checking this thread or not.

But to his original question, the ARB skid plates seem to be the best ones currently available for a more overlander-style of 4 wheeling...
I'd even venture to say that if you're focused more on long-distance, remote road travel than you are rock-crawling, the stock skid plates should suffice. The guys/gals over at Expedition Overland used the stock plates on some of their Toyota rigs for expeditions.

I've banged up my stock skid plates some on rocks, logs, terrain, ect. and they've held up relatively fine. If you're absolutely keen on "upgrading" though, the ARB seem like the obvious solution due to their reasonable cost, and lower weight.

All the other offerings seem like quite the overkill for everything, except for hard-core crawling on technical trails (which you've already said you're not interested in doing). My 2 cents...

High_Country

Adventurer
Thanks @Dalko43. Not too long after I generated this thread, I went with RCI aluminum skids. I've been happy with them but will freely admit they're overkill for what I do. I do take comfort in knowing I have MORE protection than I need and that gives me confidence to try things my risk-averse nature might otherwise prevent.

Anyways, I appreciate the insight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78