2015 Jeep JKUR - Daily Driver / Family Camp-mobile BUILD

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Base Foundation: 2015 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon with Hard Rock package. Anvil color. Manual Transmission with 4.10 gears. Special ordered early July and took delivery early september. daily drive over windy mountain roads. Off road one time a month at most. This rig has not been off-roading yet.

Modifications to date:

rear license plate delete. Have parts not installed for a spare tire license plate mount with ORO integrated 3rd brake/plate light unit. Then I'll chop off the stock 3rd brake light.

Aftermarket 6-speed & transfer case knobs (OD green/round).
Note: I have seen and found several threads talking about how noisy the 6-speed gear box or manual shifter is on these JK's. I noticed mine is noisy at certain RPM's (mainly in 3rd gear when on the gas after 2K RPM). it's debatable whether its an acceptable noise or a flaw? Anyways, I first replaced the stock large egg shaped RUBBERy shift knob with a billet sparco one I had laying around. The sparco knob was smaller. After that knob change the noisy gearbox/shifter was crazy! The stock large rubber is by-design I believe. After since replacing both the shifter and the transfer case knobs with a matching set of non-metallic type round knobs (also I put electrical tape wrapped on the stem before sliding the knobs over), the noises all but went away. Only my 3rd gear has a bit of a rattly sound here and there.

Replaced stock 17x7.5 alloys with cherokee 17x7.5 steel wheels using stock tires. Tire pressure sensors were also removed and reinstalled on the steel wheels. Painted exposed hubs satin black. The steel wheels have the same (or possibly 1/4" less) back-spacing as the stock alloy wheels. Not sure if it was the tire rotation, or the difference of alloy vs. steel, but the tire road noise seems to be louder with the steel than it was with the alloys?

Added 2" receiver mount pintle hook made by curt mfg. I drilled an additional hole in order to get the pintle to tuck in closer to the bumper. I feel with the hook rating of 10K and the carrying capacity of the JKU at about 3.5K , my new hole should be ok. For now its just a tail-gate deterrent until (when and if) I get a trailer.

Just started this thread to discuss this generation of JK's, and flood the forum with more minimal/modest family builds. I have a wife 3 kids who fit inside, but not without a whine or two (Thats what our full size van is for).

Feel free to high-jack or go off on tangents.

Future Plans: dual batteries. hidden winch. possible custom rear bumper with air or water capacity. surf racks. lift. bigger tires. on-board air. random superficial accessories. ham radio. random superficial aesthetic updated/revisions. Portal axles with CTIS (just kidding). Forward control body/chassis modification (just kidding). I'm a forward controller at heart! syncro's, c303's, and fuso's are my previous abandoned rigs.

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 207

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
before the hubs got painted.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 177

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
License Plate Relocate

mounted a rockhard plate relocation bracket (about $40). Sticks out too far. thinking of trimming the base and mounting from the rear inside of tire mount, or trimming the square tube? Or possibly making my own mount? Chopping the stock 3rd brake light will give a little more rear visibility. This it the ORO combo plate/3rd brake light. I painted the bare metal black on the ORO light. Other steps: chopping off stock 3rd brake light structure, wiring the license plate/3rd brake onto same disconnect plug.

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1674.jpg
    IMG_1674.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1661.jpg
    IMG_1661.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 166

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I looked online and can't find the wheels anywhere, what do I need to look for?

Here's a link to the same model wheel on ebay (a refurbished version). Its the #9048 model to search in the web.

there's also 16"x7" and 18"x7.5" Cherokee wheels that look the same and should also fit. The 16"-ers are cheap like the 17" ones, but I cant find the 18" ones very cheap, but im not too interested in 18" wheels for a jeep anyway. But the toyo M55 is 36.6" OD on 18" rim, and 33.3" OD on the 16". I like that particular tire.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-JEEP-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d256e7086&vxp=mtr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger