2015 Sprinter 4x4 build begins

dman93

Adventurer
Hi there Err ... a couple questions if you don't mind:
- MPG so far? US gallons assuming you're in the States.
- What was the lead time? And did you order it with exactly the options you wanted, or just pick from inventory? Was the salesperson knowledgeable about Sprinters and options/configurations? I consider myself pretty vehicle-savvy but I'm finding the option and package list pretty hard to decipher. I want 4wd low, crew 144, high roof and a few farkles (heated mirrors, backup camera, ??) but mostly want to make sure I don't have to add stuff later if I build out the back for bikes and living space, that would have been better or cheaper from the factory.

Thanks - dman93

Err

Observer
Hi there Err ... a couple questions if you don't mind:
- MPG so far? US gallons assuming you're in the States.
- What was the lead time? And did you order it with exactly the options you wanted, or just pick from inventory? Was the salesperson knowledgeable about Sprinters and options/configurations? I consider myself pretty vehicle-savvy but I'm finding the option and package list pretty hard to decipher. I want 4wd low, crew 144, high roof and a few farkles (heated mirrors, backup camera, ??) but mostly want to make sure I don't have to add stuff later if I build out the back for bikes and living space, that would have been better or cheaper from the factory.

Thanks - dman93

Mileage is averaging in the high 16's (US gallons) right now but I'm still under 1k miles. I've noticed it trending upward. My F350 didn't get its best mileage until after 20k miles. I live out west where we have 75 and 80 MPH speed limits, high elevation, and big hills so I'll never be the guy posting about 21 MPG.

I ordered in Nov, so around 4 mos but I think lead times are a bit longer now.

I ordered exactly what I wanted, options list posted on first page. My advice is to get as much done from the factory as possible. I've been building and modding vehicles since before I held a license and from what I've observed, rarely does anyone do a better job than the factory. It's a huge list of options, take your time. There are a few good threads on picking options over on sprinter-source.com.

dman93

Adventurer
Mileage is averaging in the high 16's (US gallons) right now but I'm still under 1k miles. I've noticed it trending upward. My F350 didn't get its best mileage until after 20k miles. I live out west where we have 75 and 80 MPH speed limits, high elevation, and big hills so I'll never be the guy posting about 21 MPG.

I ordered in Nov, so around 4 mos but I think lead times are a bit longer now.

I ordered exactly what I wanted, options list posted on first page. My advice is to get as much done from the factory as possible. I've been building and modding vehicles since before I held a license and from what I've observed, rarely does anyone do a better job than the factory. It's a huge list of options, take your time. There are a few good threads on picking options over on sprinter-source.com.

Thanks!

Moolay

I just ordered a Jet Black 144 High roof 4x4 Crew myself and am pleased to have found your build thread. Thanks for posting! My van arrives late June(hopefully) and will also be centered around the gear hauler/basic amenities to supplement my travel contending with my mountain biking addiction. I also have the Nomad 3! Out of Calgary, Canada. Cheers!

Jwestpro

Explorer
Any of you have a hard time choosing between 144 vs 170 ? I have a Land Rover that is the "go anywhere" vehicle and set up quite well for it so on the one hand, I want the Sptiner to go as far as possible but also can seriously appreciate and make use of the added interior space in the 170.

Aside from turning it around, I feel like the 170 could "get to" pretty much all the same places as a 144. Anywhere really rugged would have me just go in the rover anyway.

I've wanted a Nomad but for now find my Specialized Epic S-works to handle pretty much everything ;) For ski resorts I have a very "built" Bullit with Race Face DH, Chris King Stainless Steel head set, Manitou Dorado triple, 5th Element and old school DeeMax ;) It' heavy but works like it's supposed to!

Err

Observer
@Moolay - Nice! Sprinters and Nomads go well together!

@Jwestpro - The departure angle (approach is the same), break-over, and turning radius on the 144 is quite good for getting into primo/tight camping spots. And from another perspective, do you really need to haul around all the crap that a 170 will hold? Not dissing the 170 platform, rather I agonized over this myself. In the end, I decided I could carry everything I need in/on a 144. We have a few favorite camping spots that a 170 would struggle to fit in. I also live in the city and find I can jam the 144 in the tiny spaces at Whole Foods with ease. It drives and parks like a 1/2 ton pickup. I agree strongly, a 144 won't be taking over Rover duty, but there are shades of grey beyond that which separate the 144's, and 170's, best of luck choosing your favorite tone. 👍

Final thought. The high roof is another big trade off. Tons of room gained, tons of tree branches contacted. So, I guess I went cumbersome roof and nimble wheelbase. Coulda totally gone 170 and been happy too.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
@Jwestpro - The departure angle (approach is the same), break-over, and turning radius on the 144 is quite good for getting into primo/tight camping spots. And from another perspective, do you really need to haul around all the crap that a 170 will hold? Not dissing the 170 platform, rather I agonized over this myself. In the end, I decided I could carry everything I need in/on a 144. We have a few favorite camping spots that a 170 would struggle to fit in. I also live in the city and find I can jam the 144 in the tiny spaces at Whole Foods with ease. It drives and parks like a 1/2 ton pickup. I agree strongly, a 144 won't be taking over Rover duty, but there are shades of grey beyond that which separate the 144's, and 170's, best of luck choosing your favorite tone.
I'll add my two cents worth, as I have been wrestling with this issue for literally eight years, ever since the wheelbases/lengths changed for the 2007 model year.

The lengths available are (nominally) 19.5 feet, 22.8 feet and 24.2 feet. At 22.8 feet, the "medium" NCV3 is roughly the same length as a crew cab pickup with an 8 foot bed. So as you think about placing and parking the 170" Sprinter, pretend you're in the biggest pickup truck you've seen.

If you're experience is like mine, you'll find a 170's length to not be a problem driving down the road or turning in normal situations. But once you're in a tight situation, the length becomes quite noticeable. You have to attend to your turns more, and parking in a normal space with cars on either side requires more skill. The extra length also makes parking in normal spaces somewhat perilous, as you can end up in situations where other vehicles end up inadvertently park you in. All this can be worked around, of course, but the bottom line is that the 144 can be maneuvered at lot like a normal vehicle whereas the 170 can't.

But the increased space may be well worth it. Realize that all of the 170's extra length shows up in the cabin floor; your load floor goes from 129 inches to 169 inches. That gives you 1/3 more space in the longer one, which is huge when you're designing your layout. Perhaps the easiest way to look at it is that with a 170, you gain more than enough space to add a crosswidth bed, tons of storage, a much bigger kitchen area or--and this is the appeal for many--an enclosed toilet/shower area. Things are pretty tight when fitting everything two people might want for an extended stay in the short one. In our Sprinter (same load floor length), we managed enough sleeping, storage and cooking space, but could not get permanent toilet and shower facilities.

I'm not saying this is the way everyone should view it, but I've come to think of what you can do with a 144 as a "giant camper van" and a 170 as a "tiny motor home." So deciding what you're shooting for helps a lot. And your opinions very well might change . . . we've designed two short Sprinter camper vans and have enjoyed them a lot over the past decade, but now the possibility of getting permanent hygiene facilities by using a new 170 is looking pretty tempting.

Err

Observer
I'll add my two cents worth, as I have been wrestling with this issue for literally eight years, ever since the wheelbases/lengths changed for the 2007 model year.

The lengths available are (nominally) 19.5 feet, 22.8 feet and 24.2 feet. At 22.8 feet, the "medium" NCV3 is roughly the same length as a crew cab pickup with an 8 foot bed. So as you think about placing and parking the 170" Sprinter, pretend you're in the biggest pickup truck you've seen.

If you're experience is like mine, you'll find a 170's length to not be a problem driving down the road or turning in normal situations. But once you're in a tight situation, the length becomes quite noticeable. You have to attend to your turns more, and parking in a normal space with cars on either side requires more skill. The extra length also makes parking in normal spaces somewhat perilous, as you can end up in situations where other vehicles end up inadvertently park you in. All this can be worked around, of course, but the bottom line is that the 144 can be maneuvered at lot like a normal vehicle whereas the 170 can't..... (Truncated)

All excellent points. Our load beyond what fits in a 144 is dirtbikes. Once we realized that we did not want dirtbikes inside, the overall length of our 144 grew to 170 territory since we're using a double moto rack off the back. If we wanted to add a shower, toilet, etc, the 170 would be the call.

Coming out of a crew cab 6 3/4' bed F350 that's about as long as a 170 with the same turning radius, yes it's doable to manuver one most anywhere but it can be a pita.

I'll prob end up in a 170' 4x4 next year, LOL

Jwestpro

Explorer

... permanent hygiene facilities by using a new 170 ...

I think those lengths you listed are the bumper to bumper, correct? What I hadn't realized up until a couple weeks ago, silly me, is that the 170 is not just 170-144=26" longer, that's just the wheelbase. The rear overhang is also longer which then provides like you said, about 40" of additional interior length! Considering what I'm used to making work in 40"x48"x38" in my Land Rover, the idea of an additional 40"x72"x76" is incredible. I was on the fence more so because I thought the more difficult to park 170 was only 26" more interior ;) Doing the standing inside comparison on the lot, the difference is quite appreciable.

As for "permanent hygiene facilities", I'm not the type to build in a shower mostly on principal unless I could figure out a way for it to be very multi-purpose. That 30"x30"x76" is a lot of space to let just sit there for 24-72 hours between showers, depending on time of year, sweating ;)

The shower and toilet is overall the trickiest aspect of building one of these out anyway. Plumbing water in a smart way and then of course the icky side of the toilet. However, when using the right way like any RV, I suppose it could be quite the luxurious feature and is not always required to be used/dealt with in places where it's easier to find other toilet solutions...
The shower however can be a thing that functions 100% for getting clean but does not even require it's own enclosed/dedicated space. As I think through these ideas though, some are very "simple" in summer but a bit more rugged in winter, then leading to questions about Espar heating, etc. Summer is so easy. Winter can be more complicated depending on level of comfort desired.

My main winter use will be at cross country skiing venues which frankly, are usually also adjacent to lodging...but if I were to use the lodging, I'd be defeating the whole van purpose. Winter alpine skiing is a similar picture, RV parking zone, self sufficient or spend nights nearby at State Park or National Forest trail heads for free/quiet nights. Either one is essentially boon-docking because most of the RV lots I see at ski hills are not like campgrounds with RV connections.

Summer really is so much easier. Shower outside in the awning area, sleep with a breeze, cook outside or inside with doors open if raining, etc.

The owner of WebSki/WebCyclery in Bend OR has a 170, I think, set up for living in and also waxing the skinny skis. I need to see what he's done. An employee there said he built it out himself. I'm too stingy to pay $$$$ to Outside Van to think for me and cut materials for me. I'd pay someone to do wiring and plumbing but really, I feel like I need to know exactly how that stuff is put together so that I can maintain it and make changes later if needed.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I have a Land Rover

Wow, it never sold? I loved that ad...

The rear overhang is also longer which then provides like you said, about 40" of additional interior length!

Yup, and it takes next to nothing to end your day. This is us in our group transportation vehicle (shuttle) in Peru last week. It was terrible in simple off pave conditions. Our personal vehicle we rented for the trip was a VW version of the Helix. Now that was fun.

11159445_10205873386048958_5022609104196192914_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman