2015 Subaru Outback - Expedition Retrofit

midlifecrisis

Observer
Hey I just found this build and love it. I'm pricing around a new Outback for a similar use. Being able to sleep in the Outback is a huge bonus for me. I'm planning a long road trip around North America and the Outback looks like it will be perfect.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised there is enough room for both a mattress and storage. I was counting on being able to make a sleeping platform but didn't think it could be as comfortable you've made it look. Great build and can't wait to get my own Outback!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The key for me was finding the 27" wide folding mattress because a regular twin is too wide if you are trying to go mattress and not crappy sleeping pad. It's roughly 43" across from fuzzy wheel cover to fuzzy wheel cover, so the 27" pad still gives you room for another row of goodies.

It's funny you said that about sleeping in the back because that was one of my absolute deal breaker requirements when I went looking. I knew I wanted the Outback but being the grown up that I am, I also did some comparison shopping and I didn't find anything out there in the smaller SUV market that would support 6'-2" in the back.

I wanted the Swiss Army knife of vehicles and I think I got it, at least for my needs.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
That was actually just some 1x~2 pine stock I had laying around. Didn't seem like it needed to be anything outlandish since the wedges are just there to keep it from rolling forward or aft. I might have found out that they fractured over time because of the tug from behind by the straps though, since that's how I pinned them down. Maybe something with a little more guts would be a good idea. It was really solid though, I was pretty pleased with it. :/

maybe using the same loops that screw in like you did the fridge to hold the straps?

midlifecrisis

Observer
maybe using the same loops that screw in like you did the fridge to hold the straps?

Yep, those little metal guys are called "Footmen" in case you didn't know and are looking for them. Helps to know the name instead of "those little loop things for anchoring straps", I can say from experience trying to hunt them up.

If you were doing a tank mount like that you could eliminate the wood wedges and it would probably be OK, although you might have to play with the strap anchor points a little bit to find the best position. My intuition is that it would be less solid that way, but prettier without the blocks for sure. Alternatively, you could use a couple small pieces of a similar light aluminum angle (HD has a little 3/4" leg style) vertically with the legs turned behind the tank, and that would do the same thing I think.

The straps by themselves would probably let it rock back and forth at least a little bit, but maybe not uncomfortably so. Trial and error.

midlifecrisis

Observer
Solar panel showed up at my door today. It's like a the gear fairy comes while I'm at work....

Here's something you don't see every day! Yes, it's mounted upside down in the picture...leave me alone!
IMG_0955.jpg
IMG_0956.jpg

I picked up this artist's portfolio bag for carrying it (hopefully) safely. I also took the nice piece of foam that comes in the box from the manufacturer and slid it into the bag for a little extra protection.
The red crap on it is just some thread from where I laid it on the table.
The rails stay attached to the panel and fit in the bag. The post and plate come off as a unit and slip under the passenger's seat.
IMG_0952.jpg

The plan was for it to sit behind the passenger's seat and it works pretty well there. I have to roll the seat forward a couple inches but not disagreeably so. Still plenty of leg room for the dog.
If I carry any humans in that seat I'll just have to remember to scream "DON'T DO THAT!!!!" when they try to push the seat back. It's electric so there should be plenty of time to panic.
IMG_0954.jpg

midlifecrisis

Observer
Brave man. I would have suspended it against the headliner using the oh **** handles and whatever else in the rear

Yep, could be a live and learn moment for sure, but at $85 the risk is pretty minimal.
I'm not doing the crazy off road stuff you are, so less chance of that shattering sound coming from the back seat.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Where did you have the water tank made? I'm dithering between your solution for a water supply and freshlikesushi's solution (rear seat footwell). Both the rear "tire" storage and rear seat footwell areas are spaces that are a problem to use efficiently. I like your design and its execution very much, and enjoy watching this build develop.

midlifecrisis

Observer
Where did you have the water tank made? I'm dithering between your solution for a water supply and freshlikesushi's solution (rear seat footwell). Both the rear "tire" storage and rear seat footwell areas are spaces that are a problem to use efficiently. I like your design and its execution very much, and enjoy watching this build develop.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/402/15-gallon-rv-water-tank-rvb264

That is the actual tank I bought that fits nicely in the spare tire well, or at least it does in relation to the frame I built. The link is to my specific tank, but if you look under "RV fresh water tanks" and also "Rectangular water and waste tanks" you will see they have a pretty wide selection of sizes. Mine wound up being $174 after you add in the three fittings I wanted, where I wanted them, with shipping.

If you are so inclined, they will also custom make you a tank in any configuration you would like.

I looked at the rear seat footwell tank but it didn't work for what I decided to. Originally I had planned to use the footwell tank with an overbuilt frame, but once I started working out where everything was going to go, the spare tire well made more sense to me, particularly with planning for a full size spare. It's crappy storage space and you can get a little more water using it that way. The cool play, if funds were unlimited, would be to have a tank made to that dimension/shape, but I used the extra space around the side for the water pump and whatnot.

TerraRoku

Driven to explore.

I loved your setup! I was in the James Baroud in the vendor area with a XV Crosstrek. I wanted to say stop by and hi but I ended up leaving Friday afternoon.

Checkout Front Runner, they have a few water solutions that might work.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
i have the front runner floorboard mount. I like it because its easy to pull out. i have my pump mounted to the tank (strapped to it on a piece of metal) so i can just pull the whole thing out in a few seconds

drfire

The key for me was finding the 27" wide folding mattress because a regular twin is too wide if you are trying to go mattress and not crappy sleeping pad. It's roughly 43" across from fuzzy wheel cover to fuzzy wheel cover, so the 27" pad still gives you room for another row of goodies.

It's funny you said that about sleeping in the back because that was one of my absolute deal breaker requirements when I went looking. I knew I wanted the Outback but being the grown up that I am, I also did some comparison shopping and I didn't find anything out there in the smaller SUV market that would support 6'-2" in the back.

I wanted the Swiss Army knife of vehicles and I think I got it, at least for my needs.

Great build and thanks for sharing. I am a previous Outback owner and went shopping for one in Aug 2013. I came home with a 2014 BMW X1 instead as I found it had all the comforts of the Outback for a similar price. I am 6' and have slept many nights in the back while out in the forest. Even had enough room for the mule deer buck I got. Like you I removed the back seat to have a flat platform and to keep the riff raff out. Wish I was as handy with design and build so I didn't have to have someone else build my retrofit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior