2016 4Runner - Need New Build Advice

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We have decided against one on ours. We are going to use a Shiftpod. After driving my buddies with his RTT on top of his Prinsu rack, I didn't enjoy the reduced handling and top heavy feeling in the corners. Even the smallest change seems to effect the handing and fuel economy of these 4Runners, so I am going to do my best to keep from reducing that for now.

sn_85

Observer
What is the difference between the Pedal Commander and the Sprint Booster? I need to look into these options, it definitely wouldn't hurt.

I am all for the skinny 255's, I ran that size BFG KO2's on our 80-Series and I loved the look and performance. We have decided to run the factory 265's that came on our Pro for now and we are going to look into a mild 1-2" lift to get better clearance and approach angles. Hopefully that route will keep the fuel economy close to stock numbers.

I'm not sure what difference is. I think ultimately they pretty do the same thing in that they modulate the throttle response. I think either would work fine and it seems customers seem to be happy with both. I went with the Pedal Commander since they had a 15% off sale lol

gurinpo

1. Where do you plan to camp most frequently?
  2. Where do you plan to camp least frequently?
  3. Do you plan to add bumpers, winch, armor etc. in the future?
  4. What terrain or capability do you envision your 4runner achieving when its completely built?
  5. Are you concerned with fuel economy, parking garage clearance, family or pet accessibility, budget or anything else that may become decisive factors.
For winter camping, consider organizing the interior of your rig so that you have the option of sleeping inside of your vehicle. This will play into your refrigerator selection as well as your storage system and gear placement. Decent Sub-zero sleeping bags at $500+ are an investment all on their own, consider that. A Propex furnace might be a great investment if you're all about that Colorado Ski/Snowboard life, sleeping on the mountain getting first tracks after a new snow storm.

Since you're posting on this forum, its reasonable to assume your 4runner will leave pavement and that you will very quickly outgrow your stock passenger rated tires and comfy stock suspension. Go straight for E-range Light Truck tires in All Terrain or Muddy pattern. Durability is the name of the game. Stay with a ~31" tire to preserve fuel economy (range) or to avoid lifting the vehicle. Don't let anybody tell you that you need 33's to wheel your 4runner... Get a taller 32 - 34" tire only if you know you've got to have that 3" lift and a beast mode stance for Instagram or Moab or what-have-you. You've got to cut up your truck and run new control arms to get beast mode tires to fit and articulate on these trucks, and that requires more time and money than a lot of people prefer to spend, plain and simple.

You probably won't need a new roof rack to mount a tent. In fact those tents will occupy 75% of the roof, and you might find that a nice Front Runner simply becomes a $1200 tent mount instead of a useful place to store gear. You'll probably get tired of buying and managing ice during camping trips. You'll want a fridge, guaranteed. Why not plan ahead and drop the $800-1000 on your fridge, plus the $300 deep cycle battery you'll want to run it early on? Those two items will be game changers on a level a roof rack or even an RTT could never match.

Tires, tent, awning, fridge and battery/power management. Thats an awesome start in my book. Spend the rest of your time and money in the near-term geeking out on recovery gear, vacation expenses and quality beer. After a season or two, throw on a lift kit, winch, bumpers, auxiliary lighting etc.

Just one man's opinion. I didn't start my 4runner build this way, but this is how I'd do it if i could start over.
Thank you for the detailed reply, a ton of useful info here that is impacting my build priority in big ways.

exare1200

Underrated upgrades:

Husky Liners Rear Cargo liner and front/passenger footwell liner. Canvasback did not hold up extremely well to abrasion.
ShearComfort Seat Covers. Wet Okole are sweaty and hot. The abrasion you will apply to seats with dirt and equipment is surprising.
Light Truck (LT) rated tires made a huge difference in handling for me. Lower tread profile than K02's means slightly better fuel and noise for the daily driver.
Suspension upgrade to Bilsteins from FJ TRD/OR stock really, really helped ride. I am convinced the 4runner is heavy enough to require a dedicated LT suspension and tire combo.
Learn how to drive off road. Go to Overland Expo, pay for a day/weekend of driving and fording and it will make a difference in your approach to build.
Get yourself a Craftsman tool roll with GearWrenches in Metric and standard. I don't have the inventory with me, but some of the 4runner's bolts are large (17mm+, 1"+)...add CROW FEET and angled adaptors for them.
Front skid replacement. Bust mine easily in sand.
More underbody panel bolts (overtorqued easily).
Unopened packs of Wet wipes. Ah, wet wipes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman