2016 F250 Project truck

RJ Howell

I've bought my rig, like it and ready to build up from.

Here's the basic design:

I've taken a tad beyond, but not much, for the basic idea is there.

The rig sits on 17" rims as stock and will go 18" no matter. Question 1 becomes... 20"??? It will handle them..Is the cost of tire, running highway to get there, then play, worth the rim size? What we do don't require, but having the additional clearance?

First of many questions coming!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You bought a flat bed? Nice.

I suggest you stay as stock as possible and build as light as possible, reliability is better than bling at the offroad rallies. Simple is always better, you can complicate things later on.

RJ Howell

Only reason I have to increase wheel size is to gain clearance. I'll be running by a couple of resellers soon and check some pricing.

RJ Howell

You bought a flat bed? Nice.

I suggest you stay as stock as possible and build as light as possible, reliability is better than bling at the offroad rallies. Simple is always better, you can complicate things later on.

Actually a standard bed truck, but as with my last build (F150) I'll be removing it and going frame up. Building off the 1/2 ton taught me a lot about keeping everything as light as possible.
Thanx for the input!

RJ Howell

Smaller wheels are better off road in general I think. I like as much rubber as possible on my rigs so small wheel big tire. Makes a big difference in ride comfort and traction when aired down

I'm pricing both tire & wheels. I figure it has to be cheaper to go tall tire then go 18" or 20" wheel and put a tire on those.. Then again, what each does as gains for the dollar. If I find a decent set of 18's/20's at the reseller's, that will aid in the decision process.

BajaSurfRig

18” wheel and 285/75r18 tire will bump up your load capacity a good amount. I’d run what ya have until you get final weights on your camper. I have a 2014 Super Duty with the 6.2 and love it (other than feeding it gas constantly haha).

ramblinChet

If 17" has enough clearance, 18" or 20" won't make a difference with stock brakes. If you're planning for over size Wilwoods, then you will need larger rims.
If @RJ Howell selected the proper base vehicle for his build then stock brakes are sufficient. If instead, the vehicle requires larger brakes, he selected the wrong vehicle to begin with.

18” wheel and 285/75r18 tire will bump up your load capacity a good amount. I’d run what ya have until you get final weights on your camper. I have a 2014 Super Duty with the 6.2 and love it (other than feeding it gas constantly haha).
How does an increase in the load carrying capability also increase the load carrying capability of the suspension, cooling, and braking systems? Referencing my above-mentioned reply, begin the build process with the correct vehicle.

BajaSurfRig

@ramblinChet you are correct on what you are saying above. I should have chosen my words more carefully. The 285/75r18’s will give you a higher margin on the wheels and tires over stock if you are close to your GVWR.

NoDak

The 2011-2016 F250 and F350 are the exact same truck minus the fender badge and door tag. They share springs, axles, brakes, transmissions and cooling systems. While I don't condone exceeding the GVWR of the vehicle; that particular truck I wouldn't be worried about upgrading wheels and tires to give you a bit more confidence at the limits of it.

ramblinChet

The 2011-2016 F250 and F350 are the exact same truck minus the fender badge and door tag. They share springs, axles, brakes, transmissions and cooling systems. While I don't condone exceeding the GVWR of the vehicle; that particular truck I wouldn't be worried about upgrading wheels and tires to give you a bit more confidence at the limits of it.

You are entirely correct - Ford just installs different stickers for fun. You might wish to share this interesting fact with the Chief Engineer of the HD Truck Division at Ford, I doubt he realizes this.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You are entirely correct - Ford just installs different stickers for fun. You might wish to share this interesting fact with the Chief Engineer of the HD Truck Division at Ford, I doubt he realizes this.
Does this mean I can change the fender badge and door sticker and haul more?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78