2016 Tacoma DCSB...a work in (slow) progress

Igorskiy86

Observer
Looking really good and along the lines of what I want to build for my next vehicle. Did you notice any drop in fuel economy after installing the canopy and RTT, and what are you averaging?

jon c

Supporting Sponsor: Magpul

Before

Parts layout

Bumper and grille removal

Slight upgrade to the skid plate...

Skid plate installed

Prepping for the point of no return

Bumper fitting

Otis the shop supervisor helping out

And done (for now)....

For some reason, the ARB fog lights aren't working with the factory harness. Should have been simple plug and play...but oh well. When I wire the second battery and controller in a week or two, I'll do the lights, winch, and find the fog light gremlin.

The pics in the instructions are mostly blacked out (they're just photocopies in B&W) so there was some figuring out to do. The template for the cuts was spot on though, and the rest was easy enough to figure out.

jon c

Looking really good and along the lines of what I want to build for my next vehicle. Did you notice any drop in fuel economy after installing the canopy and RTT, and what are you averaging?

Rarely am I in a hurry around town...and if I was I would have gotten a GX with a V8. So for me in my natural state of driving like a grandma on my commute, I could get around 20-21 MPG with the topper. I got around 19-20 at 80MPH on the interstate last week with the tent from Denver to Roswell NM, calculated by mileage and fuel used, not the onboard computer. Cruising on the highway (pre-lift and tires) with no tent I could do 23-24 under 75MPH.

I am sure the tires and added weight of the bumper are gonna hurt me, but I'm a conservative driver when I can be so I don't think it will be an unacceptable loss.

dman93

Adventurer
Rarely am I in a hurry around town...and if I was I would have gotten a GX with a V8. So for me in my natural state of driving like a grandma on my commute, I could get around 20-21 MPG with the topper. I got around 19-20 at 80MPH on the interstate last week with the tent from Denver to Roswell NM, calculated by mileage and fuel used, not the onboard computer. Cruising on the highway (pre-lift and tires) with no tent I could do 23-24 under 75MPH.

I am sure the tires and added weight of the bumper are gonna hurt me, but I'm a conservative driver when I can be so I don't think it will be an unacceptable loss.
I have a stock DCSB TRD OffRoad which I just drove from the coast in California to Massachusetts. No lift, stock tires, auto trans, cab-high shell with Yakima crossbars and Tepui RTT. I was fairly loaded ... one passenger, two bikes, camping gear for a month on the road, plus a 50# 1Up bike rack. I averaged 20.6 mpg. About 1/2 interstate, half 2 lane, maybe 75 miles of dirt (some in 4wd hi), zig-zagged around quite a bit. The cumulative average was almost 23 when I dropped out of the Rockies at Salida, CO, but heavy winds, higher Interstate speeds in OK and AR, plus urban driving in Baltimore and DC dropped it quite a bit. AC on almost the whole trip. I thought it was pretty good considering the tent sitting up pretty high on the Yak rack. Suspension doesn't seem too happy with this load, though :(

jon c

My leaf springs were literally frowning when I took the new wheels and tires (5X) and suspension to the shop. I didn't really care if I blew them out that day, there isn't much of a market for stock SR5 suspension and they went in the dumpster.

New setup doesn't seem to mind the load a bit...

Igorskiy86

Observer
Really like how the bumper looks, and the whole build is coming out great. Thank you for your inputs on fuel economy, it sounds like extremely good.

jon c

Yeah man, you're right down the street!

Wiring weekend...winch, house battery, sPod, lights, etc.

Looking for the rear bumper next. CBI is top on my list, but RCI is right up the road and has a Gen 3 Tacoma rear swingout in the works.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Interesting numbers. This is the new 3.5L v6 right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger