2016 Tacoma DCSB...a work in (slow) progress

jon c

Supporting Sponsor: Magpul

Added the RCI sliders (which you can't see in the pic apparently...) and mounted the jack on the Front Runner rack.

Not shown: Slee compressor bracket and factory style rear locker and compressor switches. Slee is great to deal with, having them and RSG right down the road is a luxury when it comes to Toyota stuff.

jon c

I'll leave it in the bed, unless the bed is loaded for a trip. I have a cover on the way also.

jon c

Probably time to pack up the paddle board

Tops of the Snowy Range got a dusting last night...hard to tell in the pics. Rainy and 46 degrees.

Vedauwoo about 2 hours later...bright skies and 80 degrees...

E

eugarps

The Snowies have been my hangout since 1964, when I was at UWyo. Lovely shot. I'll be there in two weeks.

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
jon c

Sir,
I have a question if you don't mind.
Why did you go with SR5 instead of TRD OFF ROAD?
It may have been a budget issues I understand that but the thing is TRD OFF ROAD comes with some good gadgets that would be good for overland/expedition vehicle. right?

The reason I am asking this question is that soon I may have to buy a truck for the same purpose as yours but can't really know which package is suitable for an overland travels.
A TRD OFF ROAD taco seems an obvious choice but it en get really expansive. up to 40K for some cars.
However it does come with good options such as Crawl Control, A-Track, Multi Terrain Selection, E-locker and an outlet in the bad.

On the other hand one can buy a SR taco for 32K and then add an E-locker and an outlet to it as well.

Are these functions (Crawl Control, A-Track, Multi Terrain Selection, E-locker) just a waste of money?
And in order to build a good overland vehicle is it better to start with a base model?

Thanks!

jon c

Nah, no budget issues here, I just wanted it for the body and drivetrain. My list of things I needed were: Double Cab, 4x4, V6, cruise control. The SR5 met that, so that is what I got.

I had a Limited package 4x4 Crewmax Tundra, and a Platinum package 4x4 Sequoia also. All of the little things that went wrong with them were power seat switches, memory seats, power tailgate switches..small stuff that was very expensive to fix but really didn't improve the experience for me whether I had them or not. Those two vehicles were great, but those few little things taught me to value simplicity over more electrical crap taking up space and adding failure points.

MTC, A-Trac, etc. would all be nice but not necessary for the type of driving I do. I think a locker in the rear is a very good idea, and that is the only feature that made it appealing to me, but I decided against it.

I knew I wanted on-board air and an air locker, I knew I'd trash the tires and suspension as soon as I got it, I didn't want all the power accessories (save windows and locks), proximity door locks, push-button ignition, etc. Basically, everything the TRD models came with was all stuff I didn't want so it would have been a waste of money for me.

I paid less than 32K for mine, and it was available. At the time I bought it, they didn't have an SRs or SR5s on the lot, they were all pre-sold. I believe this was the 5th truck the dealer called me about that I said "yes" to, and was the first that hadn't sold in the time it took to call back and get it from another dealer.

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
jon c

Thank you.
Now I see your real purpose. "less parts = less problems" :D
Which I agree with.

Is your taco manual or auto?
On tacoma forums I hear some sad stories about the auto transmission.

One more question.
Are axle and T-case ratios the same on all trims? I mean SR5 and TRD OFF have got the same drivetrain right?

Thanks.

jon c

I have an auto. The shifting is annoying...I am going in to get the new transmission flash and hope that cures the gear searching at highway speeds. I'm still happy with it, but I notice.

I am unsure about the gear ratios, but I believe they are the same.

Catfish37

Observer
jon c

Thank you.
Now I see your real purpose. "less parts = less problems" :D
Which I agree with.

Is your taco manual or auto?
On tacoma forums I hear some sad stories about the auto transmission.

One more question.
Are axle and T-case ratios the same on all trims? I mean SR5 and TRD OFF have got the same drivetrain right?

Thanks.

From what I have read all mt's have 4:30 gear ratio
And all at's have 3:90's.

Great write up so far Jon.

I got mine end of July, right be fore this year's FJ Summit.

I like how you laid out all the mods..

I labored over a topper vs the Thule Xsporter, and 17" rims vs. 16. Your build stance looks great!

See you around Colorado, I live in Denver.

Chris

gmtech

Observer
I also have a 2016 double cab but TRD offroad. mine only has 2000 miles on it. regarding the transmission shifting issues. the new transmission has 6 gears. its going to use them all.... I also will get the flash done on mine at the first service.. but as transmission tech at GM dealer. every one that came from a 5-4 spd transmission will complain about how the 6-8-10 spds shift. that's normal. its gonna be herky jerky and hunt for gears. with gm transmissions or Toyota. I would not worry about longevity of transmission. mine was overly shifty when it was new but has gotten noticeably better the more miles I put on it. the last two gears 5-6 are both overdrive. so on the highway it will shift between them a bit. more so at faster speeds. sometimes down to 4 gear. I found actual Toyota training videos with chief Tacoma engineer. they are short like 2-3 mins but informative. I think they are called SET training videos. they have there own youtube channel too. very informative. if you have or are looking at Tacoma. some others are kinda cheesy. also I have found that taco world is full of whiners... most of their problems are blown out of scale or not really problems.

jon c

Overdue for an update:

- Installed a Switch Pros setup. I didn't have enough knockouts left for everything I wanted to run, and I wanted them all together in one spot. This thing is worth it's weight in gold...even a troglodyte such as myself can wire up anything with very little risk of screwing it up.

- added another Front Runner rack over the cab

- Lights, lights, more lights. Rigid 40" bar under the cab rack, Rigid Q2 driving lights on the bumper, and Rigid Radiance pods on CBI ditch light brackets. I did not realize how bad the factory headlights were until I flipped on the Q-series lights...

- Marathon seat covers. This is my first vehicle in 15 years without leather seats (which I don't really miss), but I forgot how easy cloth stains and get nasty. Between this and the Weathertech mats, I don't have to worry about the interior too much.

- Starting the bed organization. 3 Front Runner Wolf Packs in a Front Runner bag. I'm building a platform for them at the front of the bed, and will put a bed slide in after that.

- Blacked out the hood. Learned an important lesson: I am not a skilled applier of vinyl decals...

Next up, just waiting on a bracket for the winch and I'll get it dropped in there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears