2016 Tacoma vs 2016 4Runner?

RobD

My two cents, which at the current exchange rate is worth about 1.2 cents US.

I have a 2013 double cab long box with a Leer cap. I've installed a Bedrug, as well. All in all, you could probably sleep back there quite comfortably.

I have owned a 1999 4Runner Limited and still have a 1991 4Runner with a 3.4 swap that's rusting quietly in the backyard, awaiting a restoration project.

I have camped in the back of the '91 on a sleeping/storage platform that was 4' x 6' with a female and we both managed to fit, though headroom (no, not that kind of head room, perverts) was limited.

I have yet to camp in the Taco, but I know it will haul a decent amount of gear. Where it falls down, and the 2016s have the exact same problem, is that they suck for carrying more than two people. The back seat is brutal. Even my '99 had more room.

You can't compare the 4Runner and Tacoma for people hauling. Why Toyota kept the cab on the newest Tacoma is beyond me. And being Canadian, we don't get the DCLB TRD Off-road edition up here. Just the stupid access cab, because apparently Canadians don't feel the need to off road with more than two people.

If I were to do it again, I'd go 4Runner Trail edition. All the bells and whistles off the Tacoma Off-road version, but with better cabin space.

As it's been said before, if you need to haul people, go 4Runner. If you need to haul junk, go Tacoma.

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
Tacoma or 4Runner

I have had two Tacomas rust out on me in a few years. I had 1999 TRD SR5 4x4 that my wife and I drove all over Newfoundland and eastern Canada, exploring logging roads, rocky beaches and just about anything that would get us off of tarmac. The frame rotted and it was recalled. Sure I got $16,500 for it, but I really liked the 1999, and we wheeled it a lot. I broke down and bought a 2007 Tacoma TRD Pro 4x4 with 29 miles on it. I washed the frame religiously and used it to haul motorcycle, firewood, stone, and just about anything else I could jam in and tie off. I lifted the 2007 3 inches like I did on the 1999. Last Fall I found out that the frame was rotted on this one - THAT SUCKED!!! What sucked more was that it was not perforated so they would not replace it. They were going to spray some goo on it and tell me it was fine. I got in a huge argument with the service manager about a short term fix like that.

I swore off Tacomas.

I am sure they will tell me that the frames on new Tacomas won't rust - stop pissing down my back and telling me it is raining.

I looked at a bunch of trucks and imagined buying them and immediately replacing the suspension so I could actually use them. I could not find a single truck that I liked. One day I was driving by the local Toyota dealer, slowly, window shopping and I spotted a white 4 Runner that appeared to be lifted with bigger tires and fancy black rims.

I took it for a long drive and worked to get the tires to rub the wheel wells. I was a bit shocked at the sticker price, but I really liked the truck. In short, I went back two weeks later and negotiated for it by trading in my 2007 Tacoma I had now nicknamed Rusty!

2015 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro with 2250 miles for about $40,000 (used1?!). They gave me $14,000 for Rusty which was OK for an 80,000 truck.

I love this 4Runner(the last one I had was a 1985 4Runner SR5 that I bought wrecked for $2000, rebuilt, drove and sold for $2750 with 240,000 miles).

Don't be like me and buy a future "Rusty", buy a 4Runner and get a trailer if you need to haul s - h - i - t.

Sno Dawg - Jeff

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Is the rust issue still a big deal with the Tacoma? I thought Toyota had largely resolved that issue?

Anyways, FWIW the Tacoma (and the Tundra for that matter) is based on a separate frame and chassis platform than is the 4runner and Land Cruiser. 4runner/LC are produced in Japan and both have fully boxed frames. 4runner chassis is fairly similar to the Land Cruiser Prado, which is sold internationally. LC chassis is pretty much the same as the LC 200 sold overseas. Tacoma/Tundra frames are mostly C-channel and the chassis are unique to their platform. The trucks are made mostly in the USA I believe.

This may be more perception than reality, but I've always associated the 4runner and LC with higher quality due to their components and place of manufacture. The Tacoma always struck me as Toyota's value meal; pretty decent performance and capability sold at a certain price point. IMO, the relatively accessible price and simplicity of design, more than anything else, has made the Tacoma as popular as it is in the mid-sized segment.

Last edited:

internski

Is the rust issue still a big deal with the Tacoma? I thought Toyota had largely resolved that issue?

Anyways, FWIW the Tacoma (and the Tundra for that matter) is based on a separate frame and chassis platform than is the 4runner and Land Cruiser. 4runner/LC are produced in Japan and both have fully boxed frames. 4runner chassis is fairly similar to the Land Cruiser Prado, which is sold internationally. LC chassis is pretty much the same as the LC 200 sold overseas. Tacoma/Tundra frames are mostly C-channel and the chassis are unique to their platform. The trucks are made mostly in the USA I believe.

This may be more perception than reality, but I've always associated the 4runner and LC with higher quality due to their components and place of manufacture. The Tacoma always struck me as Toyota's value meal; pretty decent performance and capability sold at a certain price point. IMO, the relatively accessible price and simplicity of design, more than anything else, has made the Tacoma as popular as it is in the mid-sized segment.

Last week when I was at the dealer they had replaced a rusty Tundra frame. Frame didn't look too bad quickly looking it over but I can confirm at least one frame of xxx,xxx Tundras built was replaced under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p nut

butter

Perception is all it is, in my experience. If you look at the trim levels on trucks vs SUV's, historically, SUV's were definitely more oriented towards lux and trucks for work. That gap's narrowed quite a bit over the last few years, but people's perception still is that SUV's are higher quality. Made in Japan or not, I don't think has much to do with it. I never had issues with my Tacoma's, Honda's or other US-assembled Japanese products. Rattles and others issues still exist in Japanese made/assembled vehicles, which I went through in my old 4Runners.

Either way, I wouldn't let the frame issue, assembly plant location, etc. affect my decision between a Tacoma and 4Runner. If history is any indicator, Toyota will always step up and do the right thing should anything go wrong. I would have zero problems buying either platform today and drive away with 100% confidence.

Hoot23

I think people on here are right when it comes down to the bed. If you need one then you have your answer. The perception of a 4Runner and LC are higher quality isn't perception, it is the case. 4runners have always come with certain things standard that tacomas didnt(not sure about current ones). Ive had multiple of both tacomas and 4runners. Love them both, would take either one. The 4Runner is fully imported still and the Tacoma is built here. The 4Runner is a little higher quality but not sure its life altering. When you need a truck bed, no roof rack or back of an suv will match that. After so many miles the tacoma will feel a little loose compared to a 4runner. I used to have a 2006 4runner and a buddy had a 2006 Tacoma with almost identical mileage. He actually took much better care of his tacoma and every time he would drive my 4runner he would comment on how it feels "tighter". With that said he sold his tacoma and bought... another tacoma. I have since sold that 4runner and bought... another 4runner. Just pick which one fits what your needs are and you'll be happy. This is one of the decisions you probably cant go wrong with. Alot of us will comment on this as we want to feel ours is better, but in the end they are both sweet vehicles with unmatched resale values that will both do what you need, one just may fit your needs/wants a little better.

p nut

butter
... The perception of a 4Runner and LC are higher quality isn't perception, it is the case. 4runners have always come with certain things standard that tacomas didnt(not sure about current ones)...

Standard options isn't an indicator of quality.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Quality can be measured by longevity, fewest repairs, etc. My 2005 4Runner has 215,000 miles on the original drive train, doesn't burn oil, etc. In the last year I replaced the radiator (tiny pinhole leak that I was not aware of) and the right front wheel bearing. The bearing failure might have been preventable. Dunno.

NKN_7539-1.jpg

A good roof rack expands your wet/muddy gear carrying capability as does a trailer and allows passengers to ride in comfort. :elkgrin:

NKN_9671-1.JPG

Dalko43

Explorer
Perception is all it is, in my experience. If you look at the trim levels on trucks vs SUV's, historically, SUV's were definitely more oriented towards lux and trucks for work. That gap's narrowed quite a bit over the last few years, but people's perception still is that SUV's are higher quality. Made in Japan or not, I don't think has much to do with it. I never had issues with my Tacoma's, Honda's or other US-assembled Japanese products. Rattles and others issues still exist in Japanese made/assembled vehicles, which I went through in my old 4Runners.

Either way, I wouldn't let the frame issue, assembly plant location, etc. affect my decision between a Tacoma and 4Runner. If history is any indicator, Toyota will always step up and do the right thing should anything go wrong. I would have zero problems buying either platform today and drive away with 100% confidence.

Perhaps some of that is perception on my part, but that still doesn't change the fact that Toyota purposely uses two entirely different frames/chassis setups for the Tacoma and the 4runner; this stands in direct contrast to how other SUV's and trucks are derived from the same platform (like the Chevy Colorado and Trailblazer or Toyota's very own Tundra and Sequoia). If Toyota wanted to produce a reliable, mid-sized SUV in a cost-efficient manner, they would have simply built the 4runner off the Tacoma platform and frames using their American-based factories.

Instead, Toyota builds the 4runners, and LC's, in Japan using many platform-specific components, and then imports these vehicles into the US. I suspect that Toyota goes through all that trouble for a few reasons other than just for the sake of perception and image.

Also, I don't think different standards of luxury accounts for the difference in appeal value between the 4runner and Tacoma. Who buys a 4runner, or a LC for that matter, because of its "luxury?" Honestly, people buy Lexus and BMW products for luxury. I think reliability and robustness are the defining aspects of the Toyota body-on-frame brand of SUV; that's why people buy 4runners, despite the fact that Jeep and Ford and other "SUV's" arguably offer better ride and fuel economy. Toyota customers want a SUV/truck that can perform, even if its abused. A Tacoma does that fairly well. A 4Runner or LC does that a bit better IMHO. Neither SUV is without its faults or technical issues, but I don't recall major recalls for rusting frames. Like I said, I'm sure part of it is perception, but I see some truth behind it as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears