2016 Toyota Tundra + Flatbed + Fiberglass Camper Shell + Custom Build - $35,000 (Denver, CO)

phritz

I really cannot summarize the experiences that I’ve had in this rig. I lived in it full time through COVID and enjoyed so many incredible experiences. I built this rig to be both camper and gear hauler - carrying bikes, kayaks, and skis - sometimes all at once. I toured the major ski resorts throughout the west, and many great backcountry spots, and slept warm and cozy the entire time. But life has changed for me and I’m not putting the camper to use like I once did. It’s time for someone else to take it on more adventures.

What is it?

This is a super functional but simple camper/overlanding rig. It is made up of four components: The truck, the flatbed, the Spacekap fiberglass camper shell/service body, and my own DIY interior build.

The Truck

The truck is a 2016 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 with 8ft bed. No frills interior. The vehicle has 105,000 miles. It has a steel Hammerhead aftermarket bumper with front hitch. It’s running 33 inch Mazamas. Other than that the only modification is to the rear suspension. I have extra leaves installed to support the weight of the camper. The truck has plenty of power for towing and it's surprisingly agile on 4x4 roads.

The Flatbed

The all aluminum flatbed is built by Sherptek of Oregon. The flatbed has been sized for an 8 foot Four Wheel Camper. Of course I have a fiberglass shell rather than a Four Wheel camper so the shell is also modified to fit perfectly the bed dimensions. The most exciting feature are the massive fold down “wings”. When folded up, they secure a fantastic amount of outboard storage. I use one side for my kitchen set up and the other for skis, kayaking gear/paddle, and other bulky gear. The “table” formed by the wings are great for meal prep and gear staging. There are also four underbody boxes (currently one is set up with fuel for the diesel heater). The camper shell is attached to the flatbed via four spring bolts allowing the truck, bed, and camper to articulate separately and reducing wear on the unit. It’s very stable. The flat bed is incredibly functional, with attachment points everywhere allowing you to rig it however you like. It’s a great piece of kit even without the camper

The Camper Shell

The camper is a 2018 Spacekap Diablo fiberglass camper shell/service body with a roof fan installed. This is such a functional unit. You can stand up and walk around freely inside. The double rear doors allow you to throw in plywood, a full size (deflated) raft, motorcycle, multiple mountain bikes, (shorter) whitewater kayaks, and other huge bulky stuff that you would simply never put in a traditional truck camper. Plus you can open the doors and drop mosquito netting (I added in my build) and enjoy a wide open view that again you can’t get in a commercial truck camper. The unit also has a rear view back up camera.

The camper shell has been lightly modified to perfectly fit the flatbed. The wings have been extended to match the dimensions of a four wheel camper. There is insulation installed on the bottom of the unit (which preserves interior height).

The Build

I built this rig to live in through all four seasons. It’s very configurable and dead simple for easy care and maintenance. I like to be able to leave a messy bed behind when I start a 3 AM trek to summit something.

• (2) gel batteries for 200 AH total
  • Victron equipment for charging the battery from the vehicle alternator and monitoring the battery capacity
  • (Note that there is nothing on the roof of the camper. There is no roof rack nor solar panels. I’ve never had to charge the batteries separately from the alternator and I like to keep the roof clean.)
  • Planar diesel heater (factory optimized for high elevations like we have in Colorado)
  • I’ll include the 12v fridge I use which is a nice size for the unit
  • Lighting and LOTS of 12v and USB power outlets
  • Mosquito netting, insulation,
  • Two bunks (both can be left out or stowed away to create space)
  • There is no cooking setup inside the camper. I use the fold down Sherptek wings for cooking and meal prep during the warmer months and I stick to coffee and simple foods inside during the winter
  • There are no windows installed. Light penetrates the unit through the rooftop fan/transparent cover and the front skylights.
  • There is no sink. I use water jugs and/or portable dispensers.
  • Easy step hitch for ingress/egress without any fuss

I want to stress that this is a DIY BUILD! I’m not a professional by any means. The fit and finish is “character forward”. But I can tell you that (1) it's very durable, (2) the electrical is extremely solid with plenty of power for this unit. I used high quality components and larger cable than required throughout the build. (3) The heater rocks. Finally, I did not drill into the shell (other than the mods made for the camper mount. Rip everything out and start with your own configuration if you prefer.

You can see my build in more detail here: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/tundra-spacekap-sherptek.225104/

Price

I’m selling the camper as a set (Truck + Flatbed + Shell + Build). I’m not interested in selling just the truck. The rig is located in Denver, CO but registered in New Mexico.

Final note

Note that you can now (they copied me!) order a very similar camper that also uses the Spacekap fiberglass shell. The Loki starts at 200K. You can buy my rig and get the same experience for less than a quarter of that. My rig is currently located near downtown Denver (but registered in New Mexico).

Contact me if you are ready for an adventure rig!

Attachments

• IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_2720.jpg
    IMG_2720.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 906
  • IMG_2703.jpg
    IMG_2703.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_2722.jpg
    IMG_2722.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:

phritz

I'll be at Overland Expo in Loveland, CO this weekend showing the vehicle. Let me know if you are interested! Vehicle located in Denver, CO.

sn_85

Observer
This is a hell of a deal. Components alone are worth the price. And you get a free truck!!! Is this the 4.6L or 5.7L?

phritz

It's a 5.7 liter. For some reason I don't seem to get notified on comments - sorry I missed your question. It's a great deal and a great truck!

phritz

The cab itself? It's pretty simple but in good condition.

Attachments

• IMG_3081.jpeg
    IMG_3081.jpeg
    480.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3082.jpeg
    IMG_3082.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 71

rruff

Explorer
Greetings from a fellow 2016 Tundra SR DC Long owner... love your build and the simplicity, and your asking price is great!

(y)

rruff

Explorer
Maybe so!

BTW... you mentioned extra leaves on the rear... any details on what that consists of?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears