2016 Tundra DC TRD: Project DD/gear hauler/base camp

OldCrow

I'm actually looking at 5100s or 6112s now. I'm trying not to do any lift in the rear, just get level. I need to be able to fit in my garage. Probably do 5100s for now on the middle perch, planning on getting Toyo Open Country RTs in a 285/75R18 on factory TRD wheels. I may get a small 1" wheel spacer purely for appearance.

Thanks for the input!

You may find that level won't work out for you as have many TRD Pro owners such as myself. The Pro comes level due to the 2.5" lift up front from the TRDP coilovers (rear leafs are stock) but with a rear canopy and/or any kind of gear load, the rear squats due to the lack of rake. There are lots of threads on this over on various Tundra forums.

For my 'fishing rig' I ended up with 3+ Coachbuilder shackles as a stop-gap until I decide what to do longer term. I'm running a Snugtop in the 'sportsman' version that is reinforced for 500lbs weight rating, Rhino platform, drawers in the back and a winch up front and get about 1" rake until I load it up or tow a raft/driftboat.
tundra.12.25.16.jpg

i bike

You may find that level won't work out for you as have many TRD Pro owners such as myself. The Pro comes level due to the 2.5" lift up front from the TRDP coilovers (rear leafs are stock) but with a rear canopy and/or any kind of gear load, the rear squats due to the lack of rake. There are lots of threads on this over on various Tundra forums.

For my 'fishing rig' I ended up with 3+ Coachbuilder shackles as a stop-gap until I decide what to do longer term. I'm running a Snugtop in the 'sportsman' version that is reinforced for 500lbs weight rating, Rhino platform, drawers in the back and a winch up front and get about 1" rake until I load it up or tow a raft/driftboat.
View attachment 379894

My truck isn't a Pro. I'm sitting at ~.75" of forward rake with the 6112s on the third perch. Once I get my cap, rack and drawers installed I plan on getting some custom HD Deaver packs made with 1" of lift to counteract the weight and squat:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

i bike

Found some dirt, got to turn my 4WD knob. Good initial shakedown. Definitely got me thinking about skids and sliders. While these jeep trails were pretty mild, I'd rather have some body/drivetrain insurance just in case.

Watt maker

The truck looks great! I have a few questions though, 1. Where did you get the sensor guards and breather relocation kit? 2. Do you have any rubbing with the tires with those method wheels? 3. Can you take a pic to show how far that wheel/tire combo sticks out? 4. Do you have any more information on the stereo upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

i bike

The truck looks great! I have a few questions though, 1. Where did you get the sensor guards and breather relocation kit? 2. Do you have any rubbing with the tires with those method wheels? 3. Can you take a pic to show how far that wheel/tire combo sticks out? 4. Do you have any more information on the stereo upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

ABS guards and air pump breather relocation kit both came from SDHQ Offroad

I am just grazing the cab mount on both sides with the outside shoulder of the tire.

The stereo is the OEM Audio+ Reference 450Q system Upgraded replacement speakers, new amplifier with a custom DSP tune to replace the factory unit and a preloaded subwoofer enclosure. Sound quality is good, much louder than the factory system (non-JBL) The addition of the subwoofer is great. I like it, but I'm not blown away either. The system needs a little more fine tuning. I even went as far as to dynamat the door skins and speaker cavities. Definitely helped, especially with road noise.

I'll get pictures of the exposed tire in the daylight. I'd guess the stick out about 1.5" past the fenders front and rear. I'm on the fence about adding flares.

i bike

Also, here are the final specs on the suspension, wheels and tires

Front
Bilstein 6112 front shocks on 3rd highest perch, gained 1.9" of height
Icon tubular upper control arms w/ uniball

Rear
Bilstein 5160 reservoir shocks
Stock height, no lift

Wheels and tires
Method Grid Titanium, 17"x8.5", 0 offset, 4.5" BS
Toyo Open Country ATII Extreme, LT285/75R17

Watt maker

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking to do the same when I purchase a tundra but I'm not sure I really want the tires sticking out much. I do like that size of tire though.

I actually put some money down on a TRDP but I'm not sure I'm going to go through with it, I may just go with a SR5 and use the money saved on mods. I have the 6112's on one of my 4runners and I like them as well.

i bike

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking to do the same when I purchase a tundra but I'm not sure I really want the tires sticking out much. I do like that size of tire though.

I actually put some money down on a TRDP but I'm not sure I'm going to go through with it, I may just go with a SR5 and use the money saved on mods. I have the 6112's on one of my 4runners and I like them as well.

Method only offers one offset for these wheels in this particular size and bolt pattern, I didn't really have a choice. I may invest in some flares.

I kind of wish I had spent a little more for a Limited. Leather, dual zone climate, power slide rear window (for the double cab) and some other nice creature comforts. I was pushing my budget with what I got, but if you've got the extra coin I'd definitively look at some of the nicer trims. Lots of Easter eggs in the details. Either way you'll be pleased.

i bike

Picked up a cheapo Amazon tablet mount, one of the CD slot friction mount types. I wanted to start messing with some mapping apps. The position is great, not sure it'll hold up off road though.

64ff1e719cc386a0f7b2642f66ee95f3.jpg

I also scooped up a Baofang handheld radio, going to get educated on comms this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears