2016 Wrangler: Reading the tea leaves

Silvanus

Observer
TJ aftermarket Frame 3K, Tub & Fenders 2.5 to 3K depending on whether you prefer metal or fiberglass. Then swapping running gear and drivetrain and wiring harness, it's about 7 to 10 day endeavor. Then you"ll have the satisfaction of knowing it'll last, don't about you but today's mass produced QC isn't what it use to be! ( too many recalls, service bulletins, etc. ) There's are plenty of Micro CJ Class Fabricators out there, also there's plenty of DIY frame schematics on the web as well.

Well the next generation Wrangler will be soft & cushy they'll give this IFS thing a whirl then do a retro version on the 2026 jeep like car or car like jeep, or maybe Unit-Body to go with the IFS!

Jorsn

Adventurer
The next wrangler will be lighter and come standard with the 3.2L V6 with the optional 3.6L V6. The Sahara and Rubicon models will both have optional 3.0L diesel. All models will come with the 8 speed automatic.

haven

Expedition Leader
"How can IFS generate more articulation?"

It's all in the length of the control arms. That's why the Ford Raptor has a wider stance than the standard F150, for example.

Or perhaps you mean "...more articulation than SFA?" Either design can be extended to provide as much articulation as you want. In practical terms, about 20 inches of articulation seems to be as much as anyone wants today.

Clutch

<---Pass
"How can IFS generate more articulation?"

It's all in the length of the control arms. That's why the Ford Raptor has a wider stance than the standard F150, for example.

Or perhaps you mean "...more articulation than SFA?" Either design can be extended to provide as much articulation as you want. In practical terms, about 20 inches of articulation seems to be as much as anyone wants today.

8094_353722888080309_995260841_n.jpg

524185_351507888301809_1316353954_n.jpg

66814_364034747049123_1660790821_n.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
I'm trying to wrap my head around the changes needed to add a pickup to the Jeep lineup.

I don't think the mini truck bed, as used by the AEV Brute, is large enough. The JK8 approach that keeps the existing body tub seems too small, too. To add a useful pickup box, the frame has to be lengthened, and probably strengthened so the truck has a useful payload. That may be too much to ask of the Wrangler platform.

Since Jeep's Toledo manufacturing facility is running at capacity building Wranglers, I think the pickup would have to be built elsewhere if Jeep wants to increase sales. Dodge builds the Ram full size pickups in Mexico, but I don't think that's the answer. Instead, I see a "lifestyle pickup" being added to the Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango lines, built in the Jefferson North facility in Detroit.

The Grand Cherokee platform already has V8 and diesel options, plus that ZF 8 speed transmission that helps fuel economy.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The King of the Hammers guys are doing pretty well with it but it cost more then a new Rubicon.

Well, I am out of my depth in commenting on KOH rigs, as I do not closely follow the Ultra4 class, but I instinctively do not agree that they are better than the swing articulated solid axel front ends in the technical terrian. I suspect the IFS is better on the full throttle open desert portion, which in reality is the significant majority of the 165 mile course. But I don't think it offers the control or articulation in the rocks that than the swivel nose vehicles provide:

2013+Griffin+King+of+the+Hammers,+and+notes+from+a+dry+lake+bed+(4).jpg

1005_z_03%2B2010_king_of_the_hammers_race%2Bcasey_currie.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
The next Wrangler will be better in every way, with improved drivetrain, 8 or 9 speed auto. Think small displacement diesel and turbo V6s. The body shape will change some, but not drastically. Solid axle will remain, but look for Rubicons to address performance and economy with possible air suspension that will lower at speed. Materials will change considerably to reduce weight, pulling several hundred pounds out of the chassis. I suspect the folding windshield will die for NVH and aero. Even the current JK windshield looks ridiculous when folded. Possible death of the manual transmission and even possible death of the 2 door. The lineup with the two-door death will now include a four-door truck. Look for improvements in critical capacities like payload and towing, getting closer to 4Runner numbers.

If we consider the current production, they are going to build around 200,000 Wranglers a year with the two online shifts. I believe that will require a pickup to sustain those numbers. I also believe the new Wrangler will up-content even more, hopefully with an Overland model with even better capacity numbers, towing, payload, materials.

If they can get nearly 30mpg out of the Grand Cherokee, they can get 24-25 out of the Wrangler.

I also believe this will likely be the last of the great Jeeps. It will perform better, be quieter, more efficient, better quality and much better materials, all while retaining solid axle, lockers, etc. CAFE and other limitations will make it almost impossible to build a more capable 2025 Wrangler, unless it flys.

None of this is some inside information from Jeep, but my speculation based upon the way things are moving in the brand and industry. I also have a strong confidence in the current team, that they not only understand the brand, but also what the consumer values in the platform. I cannot imagine Jeep conceding the 4wd performance benchmark, and it wouldn't take too much "softening" of the Wrangler for the Trail Edition 4Runner or new Defender to take the belt. . .

Clutch

<---Pass
^^That kit is around $20K and I believe that's just for the front end.

Yep. Wanna play gotta pay.

No way anything like that would come from the factory, just an example of IFS on a JK.

Bet the purist pull their hair out when they see that! ;)

haven

Expedition Leader
Scott's right, If Jeep stopped selling two door wranglers, they would have plenty of capacity to build the pickup at the Toledo plant. I have read that Jeep sells two 4 door Wranglers for every one 2 door.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Scott's right, If Jeep stopped selling two door wranglers, they would have plenty of capacity to build the pickup at the Toledo plant. I have read that Jeep sells two 4 door Wranglers for every one 2 door.

Wonder what that says about the demographics.?. ;) Guess we (society today, not me) want our BIG 'ol cake and eat it too! haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater