2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

The LC wasn't specifically designed for overlanding; it's a solid platform that can serve as an overland rig. The same applies for other pickup's and SUV's. And believe it or not, there are many overlanders who prefer 3/4 ton's for their added utility, especially when it comes to carrying a bed camper or heavy payloads. You should take some time to step out of your Toyota bubble and go converse with some overlanders in the Domestic and Full-sized section; apparently none of them got the memo that their vehicles aren't well suited to overlanding.

My problem with the 10x number is that you're claiming it's fact. How do you even begin to verify an opinionated statement like that? These are the types of shallow, mindless arguments that fanboys tend to make.

All of those other subjective judgments (in bold) will vary from one person to the next. The newer domestic pickup's are very well built and quite luxurious, by truck standards, IMHO. They also are designed for much higher workloads than your average Toyota vehicle, because they are first and foremost work vehicles. I'm stating my view on this, and there is no point in arguing over personal opinions. But I will say that Chrysler makes the only two 4x4 vehicles in North America with solid front and rear axles and locking differentials (Power Wagon and Wrangler); in my mind, that counts for a lot as an overland-oriented vehicle. Toyota's LC lineup is good, but it doesn't have those features from the factory, at least not in North America.

This just proves my point. You talk about how LC vehicles are better than their domestic counterparts, which is a subjective statement in and of itself, and your primary reference for that "fact" are the anecdotal experiences of members on a LC-focused forum. I'm not seeing any facts here. You really need to get out of your Toyota bubble and learn to appreciate that there are other vehicles when it comes to overlanding.

I don't think anyone here is whining about or deriding the LC; any derogatory tone that you can detect on my part is directed purely at some of the LC owners who get a little full of themselves.

And by the way, if you want to give some facts, start with giving a link to a Toyota website or document that specifically states that LC's have a 25 year service life. I'm amazed by how much I've seen that "fact" regurgitated here and elsewhere, and yet for all of my google searching, I've never seen it in Toyota's own literature.

All the things you've suggested me to do imply that you haven't actually read any of my comments. I'm not a Toyota fanboy, I'm just trying to explain why that's the attitude you get in the LAND CRUISER section of this forum.

All you've done this entire thread is try and pick arguments with Land Cruiser owners since their comments get you so worked up. As I said in a previous post, id take the 250 over the 200 series.

You keep bringing up new domestic trucks, but as I've said, I was referring to the last 20 years including the 80 and 100 series. I still haven't seen you list a single vehicle that are more well made for overlanding (and reliable) than the Land Cruiser. Subjective or not, at this point I'm just asking for your opinion. Name one. One.

Edit: If you can't even name one, your argument is invalid. You're just proving that the fanboys have a reason to back up their subjective claims.

Upland80

Adventurer
The LC wasn't specifically designed for overlanding; it's a solid platform that can serve as an overland rig. The same applies for other pickup's and SUV's. And believe it or not, there are many overlanders who prefer 3/4 ton's for their added utility, especially when it comes to carrying a bed camper or heavy payloads. You should take some time to step out of your Toyota bubble and go converse with some overlanders in the Domestic and Full-sized section; apparently none of them got the memo that their vehicles aren't well suited to overlanding.

My problem with the 10x number is that you're claiming it's fact. How do you even begin to verify an opinionated statement like that? These are the types of shallow, mindless arguments that fanboys tend to make.

All of those other subjective judgments (in bold) will vary from one person to the next. The newer domestic pickup's are very well built and quite luxurious, by truck standards, IMHO. They also are designed for much higher workloads than your average Toyota vehicle, because they are first and foremost work vehicles. I'm stating my view on this, and there is no point in arguing over personal opinions. But I will say that Chrysler makes the only two 4x4 vehicles in North America with solid front and rear axles and locking differentials (Power Wagon and Wrangler); in my mind, that counts for a lot as an overland-oriented vehicle. Toyota's LC lineup is good, but it doesn't have those features from the factory, at least not in North America.

This just proves my point. You talk about how LC vehicles are better than their domestic counterparts, which is a subjective statement in and of itself, and your primary reference for that "fact" are the anecdotal experiences of members on a LC-focused forum. I'm not seeing any facts here. You really need to get out of your Toyota bubble and learn to appreciate that there are other vehicles when it comes to overlanding.

I don't think anyone here is whining about or deriding the LC; any derogatory tone that you can detect on my part is directed purely at some of the LC owners who get a little full of themselves.

And by the way, if you want to give some facts, start with giving a link to a Toyota website or document that specifically states that LC's have a 25 year service life. I'm amazed by how much I've seen that "fact" regurgitated here and elsewhere, and yet for all of my google searching, I've never seen it in Toyota's own literature.

Chrysler makes the only solid front axle and rear diff lock in North America? Pretty sure the F-250 that you're so familiar with has a 35 spline Dana 60 up front and locking rear diff on the FX4 model.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Most contractors in domestic trucks are quick to point out that high mileage numbers are very common with Domestic trucks. Neighbor has a big sheet metal company he has several Fords and GM trucks well into the 300,000 range with fairly typical maint service costs. The electrician I worked eith a bunch had 360,000 on his old F150 work rig. My uncle has a old dodge he picked up yrs ago for less than $3000 it has 280,000 and hasnt needed much beyond basics. The family Suburban beater has 340,000 and still gets tagged to haul kids around.

Japanese cars and American rigs went through a period of cheap steel and turing into rust for many yrs. Even more recent Toyotas suffer major rust issues long before mechanical stuff becomes a problem.

Todays vehicles are not 1980’s. My modern Toyota hasnt been anything special compared to my domestic vehicles when it comes to reliability and longevity. But the Yota oddly retains goofy value over the Domestic alternative mainly due to discussions like this. Not due to actual real world costs and performance.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Most contractors in domestic trucks are quick to point out that high mileage numbers are very common with Domestic trucks. Neighbor has a big sheet metal company he has several Fords and GM trucks well into the 300,000 range with fairly typical maint service costs. The electrician I worked eith a bunch had 360,000 on his old F150 work rig. My uncle has a old dodge he picked up yrs ago for less than $3000 it has 280,000 and hasnt needed much beyond basics. The family Suburban beater has 340,000 and still gets tagged to haul kids around.

Japanese cars and American rigs went through a period of cheap steel and turing into rust for many yrs. Even more recent Toyotas suffer major rust issues long before mechanical stuff becomes a problem.

Todays vehicles are not 1980’s. My modern Toyota hasnt been anything special compared to my domestic vehicles when it comes to reliability and longevity. But the Yota oddly retains goofy value over the Domestic alternative mainly due to discussions like this. Not due to actual real world costs and performance.

But those are just average numbers for Toyota’s. Modern Toyota’s are just as good as older ones. I’ve owned and own both. ONCE again. Driving on nice American roads IS not the same as driving on roads in Africa or Middle East countries. I’ve been there. Like I mentioned before. On the FOB I was on in Iraq, most American trucks were having issues just driving around the fob.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
But those are just average numbers for Toyota’s. Modern Toyota’s are just as good as older ones. I’ve owned and own both. ONCE again. Driving on nice American roads IS not the same as driving on roads in Africa or Middle East countries. I’ve been there. Like I mentioned before. On the FOB I was on in Iraq, most American trucks were having issues just driving around the fob.
The LC we spent two weeks in Africa. Two man company. They rebuild the front end every rainy season to rebuild the tie rods given they get high speed wobbles by the end of the season. No vehicle run on goat paths yr around goes without major service yrly

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The LC we spent two weeks in Africa. Two man company. They rebuild the front end every rainy season to rebuild the tie rods given they get high speed wobbles by the end of the season. No vehicle run on goat paths yr around goes without major service yrly

Once again. It’s entire life is that. Not cruising down a paved road

Dalko43

Explorer
Chrysler makes the only solid front axle and rear diff lock in North America? Pretty sure the F-250 that you're so familiar with has a 35 spline Dana 60 up front and locking rear diff on the FX4 model.
No front locker available on the F-250.

What he said. F250 has an optional rear locker, but no front locker.

But those are just average numbers for Toyota's. Modern Toyota's are just as good as older ones. I've owned and own both. ONCE again. Driving on nice American roads IS not the same as driving on roads in Africa or Middle East countries. I've been there. Like I mentioned before. On the FOB I was on in Iraq, most American trucks were having issues just driving around the fob.

What kinds of issues were American trucks having? Could you be more specific? The roads in areas like Iraq and Afghanistan aren't all that bad compared to the BLM and forestry roads in the remote parts of the US and Canada, so stop making such a big deal about that. In fact, I'd argue that some of the remote roads in North America can be worse.

All the miners, loggers, farmers, energy and other industrial workers use American trucks on fairly rough roads throughout their working lives; those people don't seem to have any major problems. This idea that Toyota is the only company capable of making a reliable and robust 4x4 in this modern era is laughable. You're believing what you want to believe and ignoring those data points that don't conform to those beliefs.

You keep bringing up new domestic trucks, but as I've said, I was referring to the last 20 years including the 80 and 100 series. I still haven't seen you list a single vehicle that are more well made for overlanding (and reliable) than the Land Cruiser. Subjective or not, at this point I'm just asking for your opinion. Name one. One.

Edit: If you can't even name one, your argument is invalid. You're just proving that the fanboys have a reason to back up their subjective claims.

My argument is invalid if I can't provide an opinion on the subjective topic of which vehicle makes for the best overlander? "Invalid" would suggest there is some true or false aspect to this discussion; there isn't. This discussion is entirely subjective.

The Ram Power Wagon and Jeep Wrangler are both tested and well regarded platforms in the overlanding community. The Ford Raptor, while limited on payload, has a chassis that is arguably over-engineered for the type of driving that most overlanders do. Whether or not any of those are better than something like a LC is entirely subjective and not worth arguing over; it's up to an individual to figure that out.

And by the way, thank you for at least acknowledging that Toyota LC fanboys do in fact exist. I'm not picking fights with certain LC owners because I have some sort of inferiority complex. I just have a hard time staying silent when I see some of the myopic and unverified statements that are passed off as fact around here. Let's review what we've seen so far:
1) Toyota LC's are 10x better than domestic 4x4's.
2) Toyota LC's have a 25 year service life.
3) LC 80's inline 6 gasser is a million mile engine.
4) LC 80 had a transmission derived from a bus.

I've yet to see any sources for these "facts" but they certainly do get regurgitated around here as if they were derived from holy scripture.

Last edited:

MetalDog

Observer
What he said. F250 has an optional rear locker, but no front locker.

What kinds of issues were American trucks having? Could you be more specific? The roads in areas like Iraq and Afghanistan aren't all that bad compared to the BLM and forestry roads in the remote parts of the US and Canada, so stop making such a big deal about that. In fact, I'd argue that some of the remote roads in North America can be worse.

All the miners, loggers, farmers, energy and other industrial workers use American trucks on fairly rough roads throughout their working lives; those people don't seem to have any major problems. This idea that Toyota is the only company capable of making a reliable and robust 4x4 in this modern era is laughable. You're believing what you want to believe and ignoring those data points that don't conform to those beliefs.

My argument is invalid if I can't provide an opinion on the subjective topic of which vehicle makes for the best overlander? "Invalid" would suggest there is some true or false aspect to this discussion; there isn't. This discussion is entirely subjective.

The Ram Power Wagon and Jeep Wrangler are both tested and well regarded platforms in the overlanding community. The Ford Raptor, while limited on payload, has a chassis that is arguably over-engineered for the type of driving that most overlanders do. Whether or not any of those are better than something like a LC is entirely subjective and not worth arguing over; it's up to an individual to figure that out.

And by the way, thank you for at least acknowledging that Toyota LC fanboys do in fact exist. I'm not picking fights with certain LC owners because I have some sort of inferiority complex. I just have a hard time staying silent when I see some of the myopic and unverified statements that are passed off as fact around here. Let's review what we've seen so far:
1) Toyota LC's are 10x better than domestic 4x4's.
2) Toyota LC's have a 25 year service life.
3) LC 80's inline 6 gasser is a million mile engine.
4) LC 80 had a transmission derived from a bus.

I've yet to see any sources for these "facts" but they certainly do get regurgitated around here as if they were derived from holy scripture.

Dude, you're just trolling at this point. Take your 4Runner and go have fun with it until you can afford an upgrade.

If you won the lottery tomorrow... your 4Runner would be in a used car lot as you drove off in a LC. This whole ridiculous thread has been in reality about economics. If you've got the dough, like refinement and want a bulletproof vehicle, then you will go buy a LC and mod the heck out of it. If you have a fascination with hard plastic and big brother envy then you can stick with the 4Runner. Tada. = D

I said provide your opinion by naming one vehicle that is better made, more reliable, and better for overlanding than the LC. That's it, that's all I'm asking for. The Jeep Wrangler is definitely not more reliable than the LC.

Which vehicle do you think is more reliable and better for overlanding than the LC? If you can't think of one, maybe that's the reason why LC fanboys are fanboys. Cause they can't think of one either.

Dalko43

Explorer
The Jeep Wrangler is definitely not more reliable than the LC.

What are you basing that on?

Which vehicle do you think is more reliable and better for overlanding than the LC? If you can't think of one, maybe that's the reason why LC fanboys are fanboys. (Be)cause they can't think of one either.

You and I agree on that. I don't have a personal favorite when it comes to overlanding vehicles; like I said earlier, I'm an enthusiast, not a fanboy. I like Toyota's vehicles, but I also like some of those made by other companies. I'll probably get a 3/4 ton pickup for my next vehicle because I like their available options, payload/towing ratings and I think they're well built. Does that mean the next vehicle I'll get is better than a LC 200? I don't know and I don't care. All I know is that it's the vehicle that is best suited to my needs.

You and your fellow comrades here are getting too wrapped around the axle on which vehicle is the best overlander. Why would you even try to go down the rabbit hole?

Edit: And why hasn't anyone posted a Toyota pamphlet indicating that LC 200's come with a 25 year service life? I thought that was a well-known fact.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman