2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

tyv12

Adventurer
LOL it's clear you don't get it.

That's sounding a lot like "it's a jeep thing" lol
Really tho as far as what vehicle people NEED to get off-road or remote tracks, I lived in South Africa and people there take old clapped out corollas where I would be leary taking a built land cruiser. Totally a preference thing. I've driven a 5 gen and a 200 series. The quietness, space and fit and finish is not represented just by numbers... and the land cruiser says land cruiser on the back so that's worth the 40k right there for some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
What can you do now that you couldn't before?

I've always been realistic about the LC's quality and comfort, compared to something even like a LC 'lite,' like a 4runner. The LC has better quality and comfort, there's no denying that.

But when people put the LC on a pedestal and say it's better than the 4runner at everything, I ask the same question you did: how is it better, and in what specific areas?

In stock form, the 4runner comes with an optional locker, part-time 4wd with manual shifter, better ground clearance and approach/departure angles, and a more fuel efficient engine. In stock form, the LC200 isn't nearly as capable offroad as is a well-optioned 4runner; I'm sure offroad-focused LC owners will look to the aftermarket to remedy those issues. But when I see someone say the LC 200 is better just because and that anyone who questions that concept just doesn't "get it" I can't help but think that there is also a 3 gallon jug of koolaid that comes standard with the LC that us non-LC owners just "don't get."

Last edited:

MTSN

Explorer
That's sounding a lot like "it's a jeep thing" lol
Really tho as far as what vehicle people NEED to get off-road or remote tracks, I lived in South Africa and people there take old clapped out corollas where I would be leary taking a built land cruiser. Totally a preference thing. I've driven a 5 gen and a 200 series. The quietness, space and fit and finish is not represented just by numbers... and the land cruiser says land cruiser on the back so that's worth the 40k right there for some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It kind of is like that I guess. I don't discriminate on vehicles - I've owned and loved everything from a 1991 Toyota pickup to my loaded 2014 Land Cruiser (with a lot of Jeeps in between including a JKUR on 37s recently), but to try to compare a 4Runner to a new 200 on a spreadsheet is totally missing the point and the OP apparently will not be convinced otherwise. Can a 200 do things that a "fill in the blank" is kind of a silly question. More appropriately the question is can a "fill in the blank" do everything a 200 can with the same civility, comfort, reliability, power, durability, prestige, etc.? There are few if any on the planet that can, and that's why I have one.

One year ago, we took my 2012 AEV and ARB outfitted JKUR on 37s to Moab for a long weekend. For a Jeep, it was reasonably comfortable, but my wife, my dog and I were totally over it by the end of the trip and my back and peronial tendon were very sore. Last week, we did the same trip, but longer and brought more people, more gear and did more trails. One of the people we brought was a girl who was terrified at the thought of going off road and asked many times if it was actually ok for vehicles to do what we were doing. Well my buddy and I were in the front seat on one of the trails with the AC on and cooled seats cranked, and we asked her a question to which we heard silence. She was in the back with her own heated zone on, heated seat on, passed out like a baby. Can a 200 do more trails than a "fill in the blank"? Not really, but what other truck can do what I just mentioned, then after airing up cruise at 80mph in perfect comfort with radar cruise control making the drive even easier?

LJFTW

I've always been realistic about the LC's quality and comfort, compared to something even like a LC 'lite,' like a 4runner. The LC has better quality and comfort, there's no denying that.

But when people put the LC on a pedestal and say it's better than the 4runner at everything, I ask the same question you did: how is it better, and in what specific areas?

In stock form, the 4runner comes with an optional locker, part-time 4wd with manual shifter, better ground clearance and approach/departure angles, and a more fuel efficient engine. In stock form, the LC200 isn't nearly as capable offroad as is a well-optioned 4runner; I'm sure offroad-focused LC owners will look to the aftermarket to remedy those issues. But when I see someone say the LC 200 is better just because and that anyone who questions that concept just doesn't "get it" I can't help but think that there is also a 3 gallon jug of koolaid that comes standard with the LC that us non-LC owners just "don't get."

Yeah, right. As if "true" LC owners would give us lowly URJ200 owners any of their koolaid. :)

RobRed

Explorer
Everyone has missed the obviously superior 200 vs the 4R...

Split tail-gate versus lift-gate.

200 wins. End of debate.

rionorte

Toyota should sell the 4runner at LC price and the LC at 4runner price. That should justify the awesomeness of the 4runner over the LC.

4Beast

Observer
I don't have the current generation of these vehicles, however I had the prior gen 4Runner (4th) and currently have the (prior gen)100 series, so I am familiar with this comparison. I really liked my 4Runner because it had the same drivetrain as the much pricier 100 series, and in the lighter vehicle it felt considerably more peppy and agile. My Cruiser feels somewhat slow in comparison (it has many more add ons as well) and I definitely notice that I have to get into the gas more to get the response I want at times. That said my Cruiser doesn't balk at having hundreds of pounds of gear in it and traveling on crappy "roads" and makes the transition from crawling on unmaintained roads to going 75 on the highway unflappably, which I think is what some people value. I do miss the way the second row seat completely disappeared into the cargo area in the 4Runner, compared to just rolling in the Cruiser, and I miss the roll down rear window, but I love the solidness, fit and finish of the cruiser. There is something about the Cruiser that implies I could drive whatever i want and choose this, versus, I wanted to drive something nice and could afford this. Maybe that's not fair, but there you go...

lenticularus

I have weighed both these vehicles over the years. The things always comes up for me is that I need to sometimes drive hundreds if not a thousand miles on good roads before I get to the off-road areas I want to go to.

What is important to me is not only the ability go anywhere (which of course it is) but that I can do it and not be exhausted after traveling 1100 miles.

Does anybody with a 4Runner on this Forum Drive like this? I know the Land Cruiser could do it. How does the 4Runner handle

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
On Sunday I drove 625 miles in 9.25 hours in my fully loaded 4Runner. When I got home, I unloaded 9 days of camping gear, went swimming with my boys, then hit up the gym.

Drive 1100 miles in a day? No thanks.

tacollie

Glamper
In October 4 of us drove 10 hours in a 4Runner and then back packed 3 days in the desert and then drive 10 hours home. That included two people riding in the back seat that were over 6' tall. One of which over 50. We were all amazed how comfy the 4Ruuner was even as we pulled in the drive way smelling like expired sweat. 4Runners are super comfy but 200s are even better. You just have to decide were you want to put your money.

Andosan

I've just upgraded from a Prado 150 to a LC200. The main reason for the change was simply space due to a growing family.

The Prado was built up for long distance touring and overlanding for a family of four. The 200 will be built similarly. In terms of capability I don't consider that the 200 will get me anywhere that the Prado didn't (bearing in mind I don't do any extreme off-roading like rock hopping).

With regard to GVM, it's really only become an issue over here since the release of the 200 series. From the 100 it had a significant reduction in payload. So much so that there are now off the shelf GVM upgrade kits from most aftermarket companies that add an additional 500kg to the GVM. They require engineering modification approval but it's mostly a formality.

Note that we get the 4.6 petrol and 4.5 diesel V8's here, but the petrol accounts for about 1% of sales.

Dalko43

Explorer
I have weighed both these vehicles over the years. The things always comes up for me is that I need to sometimes drive hundreds if not a thousand miles on good roads before I get to the off-road areas I want to go to.

What is important to me is not only the ability go anywhere (which of course it is) but that I can do it and not be exhausted after traveling 1100 miles.

Does anybody with a 4Runner on this Forum Drive like this? I know the Land Cruiser could do it. How does the 4Runner handle

1,100 miles in a single day or over the duration of a multi-day trip? 1,100 miles in a single day is going to exhaust anyone, I don't care how "comfortable" the vehicle in question is.

I've driven numerous long distance trips in my 4runner. It is comfortable and easy to manage for long stretches of road driving, just as others here have said. I have a base trail edition, so the seats are nothing special, but I do believe there are better seat options for some of the higher trims. All that said, I've no doubt in my mind that a LC 200 is more comfortable. It's up to the individual buyer to determine whether that extra comfort is worth the money.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
With regard to GVM, it's really only become an issue over here since the release of the 200 series. From the 100 it had a significant reduction in payload. So much so that there are now off the shelf GVM upgrade kits from most aftermarket companies that add an additional 500kg to the GVM. They require engineering modification approval but it's mostly a formality.

Note that we get the 4.6 petrol and 4.5 diesel V8's here, but the petrol accounts for about 1% of sales.

GVM, Gross Vehicle Mass?

Can you explain in more detail for my US brain why the reduction from a 100 to a 200?

Is it due to the base vehicle weighing more thean the 100 but the ratings staying the same as far as payload.

Thanks bud...

Andosan

GVM, Gross Vehicle Mass?

Can you explain in more detail for my US brain why the reduction from a 100 to a 200?

Is it due to the base vehicle weighing more thean the 100 but the ratings staying the same as far as payload.

Thanks bud...

Correct, GVM = Gross Vehicle Mass. Max allowable total weight, not including any towed weight but must include towball weight.

GVM of 100 and 200 are almost identical but tare weight of 200 went up, so payload went down.

The reality is that a lot of built up vehicles over here are probably over GVM. I've heard that in some parts of the country the authorities started paying more attention to it with the 200, but I've never personally been weighed or seen a mobile weigh station, nor do I know anyone who has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan