2017 F-150 build...Everyone meet Walter White

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Copied from another thread- If anyone can help let me know!

Recently got an Aux Beam switch panel and I have some lights and a few other things to wire up. Right now the lights are a set of BD XL Pros and some S2 chase lights.

Wiring is not a strength by any means and quite frankly it seriously intimidates me.

So here’s what I have
4e8833114222a83a8646092bbb2a8688.jpg

Pretty simple, right? False!

Everything looks pretty straight forward as far as mounting, wiring the lights to the control panel, mounting the switches, etc.

My question is regarding this guy
b571f951d9be8450e32e0016209f1c3d.jpg

Now, I know it’s an add a fuse. My question is where does this go? It’s meant to power the switch panel. It looks pretty simple but I’m absolutely over thinking it. If my research is correct, it should go in the fuse box for simplest installation, correct? Would the fuse box under the hood or In the cab be preferable?

Since the fuse is 5 amp, do I need to find a 5a ACC spot to put this on and go from there? Overloading wires is a big concern and I’d prefer to not watch My truck burn due to an electrical problem….

Hoping some of you electrical guys can help me out. Please use normal English and not electrician talk because I’m dumb. Learning about the this stuff is a goal of mine for 2022 and I feel this should be an easy first project.

So any advice, tips or videos (specifically my generation f150) would be awesome.

ITTOG

If you want the panel to work with the power off you should wire it to a hot accessory. If you only want it to work when the ignition is on, you should wire it to an ignition accessory. The wire should go between the accessory and the panel. As long as you use the 5 amp fuse for the wire, you don't have to worry about overloading it because the fuse would pop.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

suburbanite

Love your build man!

I know it’s been a while since you posted this question and I assume you probably already know this, but the only thing I’d add to ITTOG’s answer is that the “orientation” of the add a fuse matters. You need to make sure that the power goes through the fuse and not directly to that red wire.

If you want the panel to work with the power off you should wire it to a hot accessory. If you only want it to work when the ignition is on, you should wire it to an ignition accessory. The wire should go between the accessory and the panel. As long as you use the 5 amp fuse for the wire, you don't have to worry about overloading it because the fuse would pop.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What up fam!

Got another awesome desert trip this last weekend.

Had a group of 5 trucks and a beast of a 2WD lifted diesel E250. We started in Ranchita and worked our way down grapevine canyon, then went into Borrego springs and did the water crossing at coyote canyon, went up sheep canyon and came back out the same way. Then we headed into ocotillo area and did Borrego mountain wash, then headed to camp for the night.

Holy moly was Borrego mountain wash drop off rutted out and dangerous. It was absolutely insane and there we’re numerous times where a wheel was off the ground. We all took is slow and made it. The van had gravity on its side and got a little hairy with the edge but made it safely. After the hill there is a tight turn that again was rutted out and again had a tire in the air. It’s crazy to think how it changes in a few months. I did Borrego wash about 8 month ago and it was a breeze.

Pics below because I know that’s what we really only care about

b190721ae589420627b081ea0c9a564e.jpg

4033013d87f0906de190321c7b6ae57b.jpeg

98fcf4ae16bdbdd163540c6f6c032e52.jpeg

042ba3407eea8216d97fb8924f6e445e.jpg

5e9b4482fdae464cfe11294a10d91c43.jpg

5d13f84184b1d41814803354173bc92e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Look at all those character marks on the fenders.
How many people per vehicle?
Sounds like it was a good time!
I like to call them desert tan lines!

1 person per vehicle. This was a dudes trip. My sister and future brother in law just moved back to San Diego so we had to pop his desert cherry and harass him a little.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Next up on the mods list is new gears. Been talking to a few shops and will make a decision soon, also going to add a locker to the rear. That will happen sometime in March.

After that, I am going to get some under body protection. Having trouble deciding on RCI skids for underneath or some white knuckle sliders. Both important of course, but I cant decide which one is more important. For what I do, 99% of my offroad is clearly desert if you've been following along, I feel sliders are more important because with my lift and tires I have not come close to hitting anything underneath but there have been a few times I was concerned about my rockers. But also, I'd take a busted rocker over a busted engine, trans, gas tank etc. Currently I have zero under body protection.

So curious as to what you guys think is more important??? They're both around the same price- $1200 ish so price point doesn't really matter. Let me know!

Also if anyone has recommendations for another company for either slides or skids, let me know!

Grassland

Skids 100%
So many exposed crippling expensive stuff.
Like the five foot long plastic gas tank. The transmission pan, transfer case.
I went with 1/4" aluminum from RCI as it's not a rock crawler. High center myself on frozen gravel under snow one winter and dented the skid rather than the transmission.
So far my rockers are fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220217-174031.jpg
    Screenshot_20220217-174031.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Skids 100%
I went with 1/4" aluminum from RCI as it's not a rock crawler. High center myself on frozen gravel under snow one winter and dented the skid rather than the transmission.
I agree on the skids.... even with my normal driving at the ranch I went through tall grass, hit a branch broken from a wind storm and murdered my intercooler on the F1shitty ecoboost, after that repair I spent the $280/300 on slapped on steel skids.... no more broken intercoolers.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Personally, I’d forget the gear/locker (for now) and get both skids and sliders. THEN regear/locker.
I've thought of that as well, I just want to regear first because I have the 5.0 with the 6 speed trans and heavy 315s and my truck really bogs down in the low RPMs and I feel like adding a few hundred more pounds of steel will only make it worse.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Skids 100%
They are good looking skids! I wish there were more options out there. If I had a toyota I'd have trouble deciding between the 15+ companies offering products.

phsycle

Adventurer
I've thought of that as well, I just want to regear first because I have the 5.0 with the 6 speed trans and heavy 315s and my truck really bogs down in the low RPMs and I feel like adding a few hundred more pounds of steel will only make it worse.

Makes sense. Although maybe aluminum skids like @Grassland would help there. All depends on your priorities.
I like to get out with a bit more peace of mine so I’d rather be driving home in a bogged down truck than sitting on the side of the trail with a busted engine ?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Makes sense. Although maybe aluminum skids like @Grassland would help there. All depends on your priorities.
I like to get out with a bit more peace of mine so I’d rather be driving home in a bogged down truck than sitting on the side of the trail with a busted engine ?
Also very true and valid point- I am also debating aluminum vs steel. I watched a video of a guy with a 4 runner who had aluminum skids from RCI and his video showed that with a minimal amount of pressure from a rock the aluminum ones bent and scraped off aluminum chunks, he did the same trail with his new steel ones and there were just minor scrapes with the steel.

I did just see RCI is having a 15% off "taxtime" discount so might end up getting those first lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179