2017 LR Discovery details

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-land-rover-discovery-photos-and-info-news

Car and Driver shares details and photos of the 2017 Disco. Changes include an "aluminum intensive" unibody replacing the steel frame, just like the 2016 Range Rover and RR Sport use. Tow rating remains above 8000 lb. Steel coil springs are standard, air suspension optional. Smallest wheel size is 19 inches (18 inch rims are available on the European model). Gone is the side opening rear gate, replaced by a lift gate. And roof rack is optional, to improve aerodynamics.

MSRP starts at $51K, and runs up to $65K with all the options. 3.0L V6 diesel costs a reasonable $2K extra. 8 speed auto is the only transmission. Full time AWD is standard, two speed transfer case is optional, according to Car and Driver.

The vehicle was introduced at the Paris Auto Show this week. Here are a couple of UK blog reviews

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/new...y-2017-unveiled-all-the-details-pictures-and/

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...017-land-rover-discovery-revealed-ahead-paris

Eniam17

Adventurer
I'm going to start right in stirring the pot to all who have been complaining already.

Better approach, departure,and break over angles than outgoing lr4, better wading ability than lr4 by 200mm, almost 2" more ground clearance , better terrain response and traction control systems, lighter but significantly stiffer and stronger frame, comparably priced to lr4 ( similar to a Chevy Tahoe ), AND optional coil spring suspension? Wow sounds terrible.

haven

Expedition Leader
Interesting quote from the designer of the new Disco: "Discovery is for aspiring yuppies, Range Rover for those who have made it."

Presumably the replacement Defender will be more utilitariian. We'll have to wait until 2018 or 2019 to see. I still think it makes sense for Tata to manufacture Defenders in India. There have been reports in the Indian press that Tata has held discussions with potential suppliers in India.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'd like to wheel one, see whats up.

People always vastly underestimate stock vehicles. I bet it'll friggen go.

dman93

Adventurer
I'm not a Rover guy, so I didn't pay too much attention, let alone take pictures, but I'm pretty sure I saw one parked by the side of the road in Yosemite National Park last week. It was unbadged and "disguised" with a black and white splatter paint job or wrap. Honestly, it looked just like the current Explorer to me, but judging by the accompanying Range Rover, which was badged but also had a label reading "Manufacturer's Test Vehicle" or similar, I figured the disguised one was the new Disco. Oddly enough, the other two vehicles parked with it were Maseratis.

I'll take the coil spring diesel for me! Anyone know if the diesel will be a NAS option? I am guessing the TDV6 will have the 18" wheel option since it says Euro has the 18" option.

MrWesson

Adventurer
I'm going to start right in stirring the pot to all who have been complaining already.

Better approach, departure,and break over angles than outgoing lr4, better wading ability than lr4 by 200mm, almost 2" more ground clearance , better terrain response and traction control systems, lighter but significantly stiffer and stronger frame, comparably priced to lr4 ( similar to a Chevy Tahoe ), AND optional coil spring suspension? Wow sounds terrible.

Ya but its not square!

How am I going to buy a aesthetically pleasing bumper for those awesome front end lines?

It looks like an Explorer(a great looking SUV)!

What am I going to weld to if it's unibody(as if you'd be welding to a 50-60k vehicle anyway)?

I want a diesel! oh wait I gotta pay for one? Ew.. Also what am I going to ***** about in 10 years when I can afford one if not MPG or swaps?

I blame Land Rover for 19's and not the tire makers for not offering anything even though the days of 16" wheels are long gone.

No tailgate? Actually I'm pissed about that lol.

Air suspension sucks! LR goes to steel springs I can just hear "I miss the Lux Ride!"

Basically whining bunch a bi*ches who wouldn't buy a 50k off roader either way.

Clutch

<---Pass
Even comes in the color Pumpkin Spice, for running to Starbucks...schweeeet!

2017-land-rover-discovery-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-669216-s-original.jpg

MrWesson

Adventurer
Even comes in the color Pumpkin Spice, for running to Starbucks...schweeeet!

2017-land-rover-discovery-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-669216-s-original.jpg

I prefer mine is Peasant faded red..

Anyone know where I can find a Land Cruiser with less than $250,000 miles under $5,000? Said everyone..

Don't think poor truck dwellers have ever been Land Rover's target market :lurk:.

aek50

Adventurer
Anyone heard weather the low range option, presumably still called the HD package will continue to include a rear locker?

Worrisome I agree that it will be dang tough to put accessories like a bumper on, but all in all comsidering realities of today's market and design requirements, not half bad and willing to give it a chance. No doubt it will make its way out to trails for family overlanding duty not far down the road from now. see what happens, coil and diesel option after all! Maybe just maybe the brakes will be the same across model lines between the U.S. and European models allowing the 18 inch wheel option in Europe to fit our vehicles over here?

Cobra_R

Adventurer
I've never understood the 3rd row seating....do people really need that many seats?? Hopefully it'll come with diff locks.

MLu

Adventurer
I, for one, welcome our new orange overlords.

The LR3 and LR4 are incredibly capable vehicles offroad even when completely stock, this looks like it will be even better. ARB is just going to have to figure out how to make curved bumpers.

johnsoax

Adventurer
Those of us with 4 kids do. And Land Rover is pretty much the only company to make something capable that we can haul all the kids, tow and still do some off-roading. And for cheaper than a Suburban, I might add.

jaamrode

Looks like the rear locker is only available in the HSE lux and above as the "capability plus" package. But available though, no full size spare in that package either you have to option that separately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger