2017 TACOMA $$$$$$$

Clutch

<---Pass
Meh, I finally got a truck with power windows and power locks and I hate it, especially the windows. It's just stupid to have to dig for my keys to turn on the truck to roll the windows down. Dumb. Power locks, whatever. I guess that was inevitable when they started growing "mini" trucks too wide to be able to reach over an unlock the other door. Just more junk to fail IMHO. I actually met up with the club member friend who bought my 1991 and it's crossed my mine to go back before it's too late. It's not realistic because reimporting into Colorado would be more difficult than just buying another that is already here. So I'm not sure what to do since I'm halfway done with this Taco. I was really the dumb one for thinking newer was better. I'm not suited for modern junk I guess.

Me I am in the middle...like my manual trans and t-case...but also like my power windows and locks...think it comes from years and years having to stretch over and wind the passenger window...seems like I am in this constant battle to get the "correct" amount of airflow/temp in the cab. Though vent windows would cure that...man, do I miss vent windows. Had them on my old F250 and the VW Westy.

Was wondering when you would get fed up with all the modern fan-dangled gizmos. Heard the hot setup in the those old US Hiluxes is a 3.4 swap. Love the 3.4...332K on mine, holy cow!!!

I see a couple 3.4 swaps already done from time to time on the Oregon, Washington, & Idaho craigslist. Some clean trucks come out of Oregon & Washington if you're looking.

Here you go Dave.

http://twinfalls.craigslist.org/cto/5790468952.html

00k0k_gTbPkjlksi3_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If your not hauling family you care about. A truck that is just basic transportation, with near zero allocation to safety systems, comfort etc is great.

But for those of us hauling family in a mode of transport with the highest risk to bodily injury, 40-50k for the latest saftey and best survivability is a small price to pay for a machine that lets you see the country.

Clutch

<---Pass
If your not hauling family you care about. A truck that is just basic transportation, with near zero allocation to safety systems, comfort etc is great.

But for those of us hauling family in a mode of transport with the highest risk to bodily injury, 40-50k for the latest saftey and best survivability is a small price to pay for a machine that lets you see the country.

That is understandable for family guys. We don't have any spawn....sure I do think about safety, but then again I really don't. Better half has to deal with helicopter parents every now and then...dunno, believe some take the whole safety thing a little too far. Seems like the government is trying really hard to protect us from ourselves, as they impose the regulations.

Saw a commercial the other day about a person driving and not paying attention, the vehicle automatically braked for the occupant so they wouldn't rear-end another vehicle...how about if we simply pay attention? Are we building a society where no one knows how to do anything anymore? There are scores of people that don't know how to drive a manual, when driverless vehicles go main stream...there will scores of people that don't even know how to drive. At least that frees up a bunch of time for more selfies! [/sarcasm]

Last edited:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I think the major draw to the TRD PRO is financing. You can get the "coolest" looking thing with lots of bells, whistles and things that bypass all wrapped up in your payment at a MUCH lower interest rate than putting all the bells, whistles and things that bypass on the credit card at something like 13% interest. All these expensive vehicles are because no one has any money...finance it FOREVER! Auto loans can go out 7 years now, can't they? That's insane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

I wear my seatbelt. :)

But I've been in at least 3 wrecks where the airbags deployed (thankfully not full speed head-on) and in those cases I'm pretty sure I sustained more injury than I would have otherwise. Broken nose and finger and two black eyes when I rear ended someone but the truck was not terribly damaged and actually took me almost a year to fix it. I dunno, I think we're designing for a 0.1% crash and in the process muddying up the middle 67%.

Another thing I hate is ABS off road, that feeling of helplessness with the pedal to the floor but you're not stopping. I love the hand brake then and ever since pull the ABS fuse when a shelf road is involved. I feel demonstrably /less/ safe with ABS most of the time even on pavement.

Not to mention the cost to MPG adding 400 lbs of safety stuff, heavier doors, whatever. Is it all really necessary? Obviously in the event of a crash but there is a certain non-zero cost on a daily basis to all this nanny stuff. I think it's useful but it should be optional and if you want it, you pay for it. I don't feel the need to surround myself with a dozen air bags but it's been mandated that they will be there regardless. Dunno.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think the major draw to the TRD PRO is financing. You can get the "coolest" looking thing with lots of bells, whistles and things that bypass all wrapped up in your payment at a MUCH lower interest rate than putting all the bells, whistles and things that bypass on the credit card at something like 13% interest. All these expensive vehicles are because no one has any money...finance it FOREVER! Auto loans can go out 7 years now, can't they? That's insane!

Probably should start calling those long term vehicle loans... mortgages.

Clutch

<---Pass
Another thing I hate is ABS off road, that feeling of helplessness with the pedal to the floor but you're not stopping. I love the hand brake then and ever since pull the ABS fuse when a shelf road is involved. I feel demonstrably /less/ safe with ABS most of the time even on pavement.

My buddy's '98 has ABS, my '99 doesn't...I can get mine to stop in a hell of a lot shorter distance. Have to practically stand on his...reminds me of the non-powered drum brakes I had on my '72 Chevelle.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Just jumping I here to say, if I had the funds for a TRD Pro, I would get the 4Runner over the Tacoma.
I can't believe they are as close in price as they are.

At least according to South East Toyota's build site.

prerunner221

Adventurer
I said the same thing until my buddy got one. I have a 9 year old FJ and love it, and look at these new truck prices and just can't believe how much they are. But he got one a few weeks ago and man is it nice. All the bells and whistles. Slap some nicer tires on it, a camper and a RTT and it's going to be very capable for everything he's ever going to do with it.

Some of us like to build our vehicles to our own specs, like me, but this truck was perfect for my buddy, and he's going to enjoy the **** out of it.

14560191_10154606690679494_260302112616608860_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12