2017 TACOMA $$$$$$$

I was looking at the TRD Pro Tacoma in quicksand. Love the color. Went looking around at a few dealers at the TRD off road packaged trucks, since they are closer to my price range with upside down trade in (2014 F150). After being told there is no wiggle room at all in the TRDs, especially in quicksand. After looking around at some older tacos, I decided to keep my F150, which I love, and just bought another vehicle outright for less than we would have lost on the trade. So we bought a nice 99 4runner Ltd 4wd for 3500. Soon some quick mental math shows I could have bought a fleet of 10 or more 4runners for the cost of these trucks. At that price you are almost to a RAPTOR. No comparison there... just saying.

The SR 4x4 Manual with Utility package is the one I would be after, they drive pretty nice and are fairly peppy (begging for a small turbo though). Add intermittent wipers and cruise control (bolt in) for $150 and be set. Running around 23-24k for a new one is a pretty decent deal if you prefer the mid size and simplicity over a full size.

I honestly didn't know you could still buy a vehicle without intermittent wipers... or A/C for that matter. It's 2016.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I don't understand the high price for a truck that has the same frame it had 10 years ago. It's the same truck just restyled and toyota says it's "all new". I am very disappointed in this truck because it could have been so much more. It still has the same goofy ergonomics because it's the same truck and they are charging more for it. Also why is their no diesel option? They introduce this Atkinson crap and it only gets about 3 more mpg's than the older truck. The automatic is horrible from the research I have done. Thank goodness they have a new manual trans for it, which is how I would buy it. Meanwhile the GM alternative is getting 30 mpg with their diesel. So needless to say I am disappointed in Toyota with this one. Of course I would still probably buy it over the GM, but wow have the prices of a midsize truck taken off.

tacollie

Glamper
I wonder if this thread would have been like this in 1990 when the the original 3rd gens came out. I remember 10 years ago when everyone said Toyota dropped the ball with the 2nd gens. My 05 had way more issues than my 09 does. Give a couple years. The 3rd gens will be good.

I agree they are expensive but so were the 2015s. My dad has been making the 1/2 ton full size argument to me since I turned 16. I haven't come around.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The SR 4x4 Manual with Utility package is the one I would be after, they drive pretty nice and are fairly peppy (begging for a small turbo though). Add intermittent wipers and cruise control (bolt in) for $150 and be set. Running around 23-24k for a new one is a pretty decent deal if you prefer the mid size and simplicity over a full size.
If Toyota would offer the locker as a stand-alone option I would do this, too. Not having snot monsters, or many friends for that matter, I don't need the upholstery and seats in back. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

6d0007ab01bf7c0beb46dcf2519a4012x.jpg

DaveInDenver

They introduce this Atkinson crap and it only gets about 3 more mpg's than the older truck. The automatic is horrible from the research I have done. Thank goodness they have a new manual trans for it, which is how I would buy it.
The RC62 in the 3rd gen seems like a better 6-speed than the RA60 in the 2nd gen. The ratios in my truck are kind of off, they could have put a serious overdrive in the 6 slot but instead Toyota just spread the same range that the 5 speeds had over 6 so the 3-4-5 spacing doesn't eliminate rowing trying to find the right gear. Actually 5th gear in my truck is the 1:1, which should be 4th. And it is in the new truck. Bolt that sucker behind a 1GD-FTV, put back in crank windows with the Utility Package and Toyota gets my cash. Couldn't give less of a care about heated/cooled seats, nav/sat/bluetooth this or that. Whatevs.

Clutch

<---Pass
If Toyota would offer the locker as a stand-alone option I would do this, too. Not having snot monsters, or many friends for that matter, I don't need the upholstery and seats in back. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

View attachment 369821

Never could understand why there are seats back there anyway...don't most Extra Cab owners use it as gear storage?

Really can't stand how Toyota packages their vehicles. Give me an utility package SR ACLB MT V6 4WD with a locker. (toss in the HiLux frame with 2000# payload while they are at it too... ;) )

Bolt that sucker behind a 1GD-FTV, put back in crank windows with the Utility Package and Toyota gets my cash. Couldn't give less of a care about heated/cooled seats, nav/sat/bluetooth this or that. Whatevs.

^this^

Believe car people are ruining trucks...kinda crazy reading on Tacoma World guys whining about what trucks don't have compared to their BMW's...

p nut

butter
... My dad has been making the 1/2 ton full size argument to me since I turned 16. I haven't come around.

If I didn't have kids, I'd probably be driving a Tacoma (my old Tacoma, that I wouldn't have sold). With kids, it's tough trying to squeeze them in back there. Some do it, but more cabin room trumped off-road capabilities (for me). I think 1/2 tons are a good balance. I could also just get a Tacoma for myself and have a second, larger vehicle (i.e. Landcruiser) but I don't like the two vehicle system.

p nut

butter
Never could understand why there are seats back there anyway...don't most Extra Cab owners use it as gear storage?

I had a kid sit back there once. Just one kid. It was a torturous 2 hr ride. For all of us. I had to sit back there once (in my dad's old Ranger back 30 yrs ago). I'd never been so car sick and uncomfortable.

Believe car people are ruining trucks...kinda crazy reading on Tacoma World guys whining about what trucks don't have compared to their BMW's...

I agree, to a certain point. My new truck has a few features I could do without. Lux items, such as heated seats, and maybe Bluetooth. I really don't need them, but they were packaged with things that I really wanted and almost needed. Again, with kids, I wanted safety features such as backup cameras and sensors. Not that I can't back up without them, but it's just an extra set of eyes when I'm backing up to make sure I don't run over my kids or some other neighborhood kid.
_
Hey, by the way, you can get a V6 with a rear locker in an XL package. Just putting that out there. :elkgrin:

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I had a kid sit back there once. Just one kid. It was a torturous 2 hr ride. For all of us. I had to sit back there once (in my dad's old Ranger back 30 yrs ago). I'd never been so car sick and uncomfortable.

I have to use it in an emergency situation a couple times over the year...just awful for the person...(and the driver! ;) )

They kinda make sense in a fullsize, but I dunno..I have been stuck back there in my buddy's fullsize Dodge, even then not very comfortable.

Would like to see Toyota take the utility package one step further, and put a platform back there for gear...as it is now still kinda impractical for even that, not much of a shelf back there. The earlt 2nd gens had it with the way the jump seats flipped forward, but the done away with it, too bad. That and 170-180º opening rear doors like on the Ford's.

Still like the F150 Super Cab's interior configuration the best over the others. That flat floor! yeah baby! Other than not having a manual trans option (yes I know, I know!!!) really hard not to look at it over a Tacoma.

2015-Ford-F150-SuperCab.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

If I didn't have kids, I'd probably be driving a Tacoma (my old Tacoma, that I wouldn't have sold). With kids, it's tough trying to squeeze them in back there. Some do it, but more cabin room trumped off-road capabilities (for me). I think 1/2 tons are a good balance. I could also just get a Tacoma for myself and have a second, larger vehicle (i.e. Landcruiser) but I don't like the two vehicle system.
Both of my pickups were purchased from people who had kids, in one case two kids growing old enough not to fit (he went to a full size) and the other car seat issues (needed two I think, airbag situation I guess). I get that XtraCabs and Access Cabs aren't really family vehicles, although I don't see the problem since I remember riding on bench seats in regular cab F150s and stuff as a punk kid so what we as people need and want has morphed. Back then a truck's purpose was utility so it wasn't expected to be any more than it was.

Clutch

<---Pass
I agree, to a certain point. My new truck has a few features I could do without. Lux items, such as heated seats, and maybe Bluetooth. I really don't need them, but they were packaged with things that I really wanted and almost needed. Again, with kids, I wanted safety features such as backup cameras and sensors. Not that I can't back up without them, but it's just an extra set of eyes when I'm backing up to make sure I don't run over my kids or some other neighborhood kid.
_
Hey, by the way, you can get a V6 with a rear locker in an XL package. Just putting that out there. :elkgrin:

I'll admit I sure do like some of the creature comforts too...like power windows, power steering, power brakes, and AC...I grew up in trucks that didn't have those. Power windows are especially nice not having to stretch over to crank the passenger window up or down.

Back up camera would be nice for hooking up my trailer. Even after 30 years of driving with trailers...still have to do the jump out and look, and then jump back in method....craaaaap have to move over 2 inches...

I know! The F150 is really hard not to look at. Believe the V6 has a 7000# + tow rating. Other than "hoping" the Tacoma will make it to 300K miles (and the manny option) you don't get much "truck" for your money.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Both of my pickups were purchased from people who had kids, in one case two kids growing old enough not to fit (he went to a full size) and the other car seat issues (needed two I think, airbag situation I guess). I get that XtraCabs and Access Cabs aren't really family vehicles, although I don't see the problem since I remember riding on bench seats in regular cab F150s and stuff as a punk kid so what we as people need and want has morphed. Back then a truck's purpose was utility so it wasn't expected to be any more than it was.

yan know, we still have that option, no one one is forcing us to buy a new truck...can still get a basic truck, you just have to willing to accept it is going to need some attention.

I still keep on looking at old F250's from time to time...would be cool to have one again...then I think...no...no...no it won't. ;)

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/5787251636.html

This with an Alaskan Camper...yes!!! I could use my Trooper as my commuter, park the Tacoma to keep miles off it, use the F250 only as a camp rig...that thought is really practical, or really impractical, can't decide which. ;) Price of a new SR Tacoma, $25K...keeps what i have already running for a long time, plus buys me a vintage Sunday driver...

00909_saETDS9Po9_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter

C'mon, Dave. I remember riding in the back of my neighbor's old Ford stationwagon in my youth. No seat belts. No headrests. No airbags, traction control. Just a pile of kids goofing around in the back. We all survived. ......But some others didn't. The number of cars on the road have also exponentially grown since, and they've gotten much faster. I personally don't feel good about stuffing a kid back there. And really, I couldn't even physically fit a baby seat in the back of my old Xtracab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12