2018 Ram Power Wagon

Explorerinil

Observer
I guess I am wrong. I thought it was a NHTSA DOT mandate but looking it does look like Illinois only requires two.
Something that can be a nhtsa dot mandate may not be something that’s enforceable for the most part, for example trucks over a certain width are required to have side amber marker lights, however there is not state statue to issue a citation under. Illinois requires 2 taillights and only one brake light.

GreggNY

A short time ago, I was contacted by @pappawheely on the forum about featuring my trip write up and some other photos in the digital magazine that he had recently taken over. They are trying to feature more overlanding content, and of course I jumped at the opportunity. Check out his latest issue below (cover article!), and also his build thread here on Expedition Portal!

1605191883068.png

Last edited:

adventurebound

How have the 37's been. If you had to do it over again would you have gone 35's and been just as happy? I'm needing to upgrade on my 2020 with a FWC and split on which tire size. I've already purchased AEV Salta's so no issues with backspacing.

GreggNY

How have the 37's been. If you had to do it over again would you have gone 35's and been just as happy? I'm needing to upgrade on my 2020 with a FWC and split on which tire size. I've already purchased AEV Salta's so no issues with backspacing.

The 37s have been great, and I don’t think I would’ve been as happy with 35s. To me, the truck looks ‘normal’ with 37s, and definitely not like very oversized tires.

That said, things might be different with a FWC. I feel like the truck has plenty of power, but the 37s are definitely noticeable and braking would also be a concern. I’m sure 35s would be a more reasonable way to go, but 37s fit the truck better IMO. You just *might* need a little extra work in other areas (brakes/gears?) if hauling a heavy FWC along with the heavier tires. If you’ve already got the FWC, I’m guessing you have the suspension part figured out. This is all just my guess though as I’ve never driven a PW with FWC so not sure how much the truck is impacted by that weight.

adventurebound

The 37s have been great, and I don’t think I would’ve been as happy with 35s. To me, the truck looks ‘normal’ with 37s, and definitely not like very oversized tires.

That said, things might be different with a FWC. I feel like the truck has plenty of power, but the 37s are definitely noticeable and braking would also be a concern. I’m sure 35s would be a more reasonable way to go, but 37s fit the truck better IMO. You just *might* need a little extra work in other areas (brakes/gears?) if hauling a heavy FWC along with the heavier tires. If you’ve already got the FWC, I’m guessing you have the suspension part figured out. This is all just my guess though as I’ve never driven a PW with FWC so not sure how much the truck is impacted by that weight.

Thanks for the feedback. Yea I have the suspension figured out with airbags and cradles. Honestly the truck drives great with a FWC...I hardly notice it but I'm also coming from a half ton truck.

I've had 35s for a couple years on my 18, and have never fixed the speedo, etc. I recall that it was a PITA b/c you had to go to the dealership. I haven't been keeping up with the forums. Is there any consensus now for the 2018 PWs on the best way to deal w/ this? AEV pro cal?IMG_5066.jpg

GreggNY

I've had 35s for a couple years on my 18, and have never fixed the speedo, etc. I recall that it was a PITA b/c you had to go to the dealership. I haven't been keeping up with the forums. Is there any consensus now for the 2018 PWs on the best way to deal w/ this? AEV pro cal?

I used the pro cal for my 37s. It can re-program everything, but you still have to go to the dealership to get the TPMS light to shut off.

I used the pro cal for my 37s. It can re-program everything, but you still have to go to the dealership to get the TPMS light to shut off.

Thanks, I'll probably go ahead and get one then. I've been clicking the up button for years on the damn TPMS light. Though sometimes it doesn't come on. Then one tire in particular will trigger it, and the damn thing is on.

TommyG

Adventurer
Thanks, I'll probably go ahead and get one then. I've been clicking the up button for years on the damn TPMS light. Though sometimes it doesn't come on. Then one tire in particular will trigger it, and the damn thing is on.

Mine has been on for years. I don't even have sensors in the wheels anymore. Gave up fighting it and resigned myself to having the light on. If (yeah right) I run out of fun mods to do I might pull the cluster and airbrush that puppy over with some satin black one of these days.

Good looking truck by the way.

RoverGS

If you are looking to buy a ProCal from AEV, I will sell you mine. I never used it. The box was opened but never opened the sealed bag. I just chose to go a different route. PM me if interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998