2019 Expedition Max FX4 *Moby*

Hello everyone! It’s been literally years since I’ve posted to expedition portal. I’ve gotten married, had 4 children, 2 dogs, had a big change of careers, built a schoolie and moved on from my Toyotas (though a 100 series would still be fantastic and I do miss my 05 Tacoma)

We needed a bigger vehicle for the family than the Kia Telluride we had so I convinced the wife that an Expedition Max would be great. Big, flat towable, comfortable, safe, and the right level of bougie for her. What I didn’t mention was the electronic limited slip with pseudo-lock, low range (which seems to be hard to find on any full size domestic suv at this point), or the fact that a raptor front suspension is bolt in and the wheelbase is actually shorter than a raptor and approach/departure angles aren’t horrible with some bumpers and a lift.

Now, I don’t plan to go full expo truck. I have a bus for that. It makes a perfect base camp. What I need is something for the road trips between visiting family with a good trail in between or to drag behind the bus. Something to get down the beach or play in the desert. Something to throw a couple canoes on and go to the lake or go for some fun in the snow while still able to do the school run and support my house projects.

So the plan. Bilstein 5100’s with an additional 1.5” spacer lift. Thinking a combined total of 2” and UCA’s to tuck in some 34’s -OR- rough country 3” pack. My concern with the 3” is cv angles and with the 2” is the rear end shifting forward. If only I could buy the rear components separately from the 3” kit.

Beyond that, a tune, snorkel (because why not), better roof rack, and Baja forge front bumper along with custom rock sliders and rear bumper. I want to try some modified aftermarket raptor style fender flares too, cut for the doors. I’m going to work out some sort of quick change mount for my starlink hardware as well, though it will mostly stay mounted to my bus. Cosmetically my wife wants a chrome delete so that’s coming soon. Happy wife, happy life.

Oh! On top of that, I did already catch some cam phaser rattle. Ford says NBD, but I’m going to push for replacement under warranty

I’m looking forward to sharing this and I’m glad to be back on ExpoPortal

-Berry

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpeg
    IMG_1228.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28

sdwhip

Observer
We have a 2019 FX4 Expedition Max that we purchased new. It's a great vehicle for trips and hauling the family but we have had some issues mechanical/electrical issues. Ours has a 1.5" leveling kit from Readylift installed by the dealer and currently has 275/70/18 tires.

I feel like the best route would be to just go with the Rough Country lift from the start and put on 295/70/18s. Another option is the 2WD F150 Bilsteins should get you around 2-2.5 inch lift in the front and the Expedition Bilsteins will give 1.5" in the rear. The 4WD F150 Bilsteins on the lowest setting results in 3 inches in the front so you have to be careful there depending on how much lift you want. I have seen where people contacted Rough Country and were able to purchase the rear arms to center the wheels so you may give that a try if piecing together struts and spacers.

As far as issues we have had, the cam phasers were replaced at 20k miles, alternator replaced at 22k miles, the transmission was mostly rebuilt around 25k miles, and the catalytic converter needed replaced the day after getting the truck back from the transmission work. The cat was on back order for 2 months so that was no fun. I feel like everything spiraled after having the cam phasers done and each time it went in it came out with a new issue shortly after. I can't say for certain but I suspect software programming of the computer each time caused issues elsewhere, maybe it doesn't work like that, maybe it does. We currently have an issue that oddly only shows up when we are around Houston and then drive back home to the Austin area. There is basically no power until the rpms get up above 3k or so and the last time it happened I was keeping an eye on the boost gauge and I believe the issue comes from not building boost. Hopefully that can be taken care of with a new sensor or something. This has not been able to be replicated by the dealer and there are no codes so nothing has come from it yet. I did recently finally get a message saying the there was a concern detected with a boost module or similar, I'd have to look again. Someone pulled out in front of my wife and the Expedition has been at the body shop for 2 months so we haven't been able to get it looked at recently. The message could have come from the shop messing with the electronics during repairs. Hopefully when we do finally get it back we can get this issue resolved. We still only have around 45k miles on ours.

That was probably a nightmare to read but it really is a great truck and hopefully you will not experience further issues after replacing the cam phasers.

Wow sounds like you’ve had a rough time with it! I’d read some stories and reviews of weird electrical issues being something of a problem, so I paid the extra for the crazy carmax warranty. I had a focus st that ate a bearing in the turbo and threw chunks through the intake and carmax replaced the whole engine for the cost of the deductible.

I’m going to reach out to rough country and see if I can buy the partial kit and do the bilsteins, purely because I don’t want to push too high for the cv’s. How’s the ride with the ready lift?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looking forward to seeing it. I almost get a I am legend feeling:

104.jpg

You can def off-road a full size SUV. I did it in my Suburban. Nothing crazy mind you. But how nuts do you want to get with a DD? Don't want to risk putting it out of commission.

1078691_10201310563113649_79273165_o.jpg

I remember seeing the expedition in that movie when it first came out and absolutely loving it! The escape was surprisingly cool too but the 1st and 2nd gen escapes were secretly great little soft-roading toys.

I do plan to do more mild stuff, nothing too crazy. I don’t plan to do anything crazy enough to break the beast! I’m thinking sand, snow, some fire roads and maybe the lightest of trails. The kingdomoverlanding expedition is doing stuff that’s probably more than I’d do. This is the family car, but we homeschool and drive it a couple days a week. I have an ev I commute with (free charging at work)

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Looking forward to seeing it. I almost get a I am legend feeling:

View attachment 806306

You can def off-road a full size SUV. I did it in my Suburban. Nothing crazy mind you. But how nuts do you want to get with a DD? Don't want to risk putting it out of commission.

View attachment 806307
I’ve drug a full size burb leveled with ATs out through some nasty stuff in NM last year. Wasn’t by their choice though. They spent the week camping at altitude, and the trail in was in pretty rough shape on the way out.

sdwhip

Observer
Wow sounds like you’ve had a rough time with it! I’d read some stories and reviews of weird electrical issues being something of a problem, so I paid the extra for the crazy carmax warranty. I had a focus st that ate a bearing in the turbo and threw chunks through the intake and carmax replaced the whole engine for the cost of the deductible.

I’m going to reach out to rough country and see if I can buy the partial kit and do the bilsteins, purely because I don’t want to push too high for the cv’s. How’s the ride with the ready lift?
The ready lift is fine, it was installed from the beginning so I don't know any different. It's just the 1.5" in the front and factory rear. I plan on doing Bilsteins all the way around in the next year though. I've read conflicting info on the Expy front Bilsteins. The description generally says 1.6" in the front but I've also read the pre 2018 models were 1.6" and the 2018+ may be 2". I'll either just go with the Expy fronts and accept that is will most likely be 1.6" or go with the F150 2WD versions and set it to get 2". 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear is fine with me.

I’m looking
The ready lift is fine, it was installed from the beginning so I don't know any different. It's just the 1.5" in the front and factory rear. I plan on doing Bilsteins all the way around in the next year though. I've read conflicting info on the Expy front Bilsteins. The description generally says 1.6" in the front but I've also read the pre 2018 models were 1.6" and the 2018+ may be 2". I'll either just go with the Expy fronts and accept that is will most likely be 1.6" or go with the F150 2WD versions and set it to get 2". 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear is fine with me.
into the bilsteins you talked about. The 2wd front and expedition rear with the lift friendly uca’s may be the happy point.

I’m also looking at raptor take offs now so if I can find a set of wheels and tires for a good price that may push these plans forward fast

Got a screaming deal today! I need to get new tires but the rims and a set of new 315/70r17’s end up being cheaper than a set of roughly equal (34’s) for the fx4 rims I have on it now. Once I wear out this set on the truck, I’ll put on the raptor wheels.

I’m also borrowing a set of f150 fender flares to see how they fit up before I buy a set to modify. IMG_1346.jpeg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Have a standard September 2019 Platinum heavy tow zero issues. It got the phaser software tweak at 15,000 no issues at 50k. I had big plans also but after getting rid of the horrible stock tires at 13,000 miles which were seriously bad even with plenty of tread. The all new BFG Trail Terrain was literally transformative even on the stock 22’s!! Talking what we struggled to get through in 4x4 with rear elocker on we drove through in 2wd hardly noting any traction challenges. As such I kept it stock and have zero complaints. The MAX is a bus. My buddy found a 22 stealth heavy tow pack loaded to the max on options. Have driven that a few times I like my standard length way better 😆. Oh and he has the horrible Hankooks worn down and they are straight up unsafe lol. I had him drive mine in the rain with the BFG trail Terrain and he was shocked how superior they are. He’s getting some next week.

Two things
One the battery when it gets a tad soft from age it will trigger some odd behavior. I had a couple of weird shifts over 2-3 days then I noticed the sun roof and side steps not working right. Started fine zero issues. I replaced the battery (costco agm) and all was happy again!!

Use good quality oil and change it by 6000 miles or you’ll have issues. The 3.5 has been great but its hard as hell on the oil.

I got 48,000 out of my rear pads, zero issues with the discs smooth as butter so I just dropped stock pads in no biggie. Easy rear break service setting on the dash computer before you do that👍.

Oh occasionally pop the sun roof and wipe down the edges or it will get grime in there and chatter between the panel and the roof edge/ where they touch. Outside of that it’s been a fantastic rig. Neighbor has done some really long trips in his and same thing loves it no complaints he sold his Cherry Panamera to get the MAX stealth 🤦‍♂️

We’re in the mountains in New Mexico this week, seeing how much of a road tripping monster this expedition is for a big family. We were hoping to make it up some light trails/fire roads, but it’s looking like all the trails are closed from snow. Maybe in the week we can find some.

I stuck that harbor freight basket on the roof as a last second decision to get some luggage up there, and it worked but I need to replace it with something bigger. I’m looking at some 50”x86” baskets so I can spread bags out instead of loading up. IMG_4679.jpegIMG_4680.jpeg

Swapped the roof basket for a much larger one. I’m pretty sure this was intended for a full size van but it works great!

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12

Members online