2019 Tundra

rruff

Explorer
My question is... "why do people keep buying - at a price premium - a vehicle that hasn't changed in (in some cases) a decade?"

I don't know about the price premium. Mine was cheaper than any comparable truck. Maybe they make less sense in the higher trims where you will also notice the lack of metrosexual features.

rruff

Explorer
it reads almost identical to the original TRD Pro announcement. 1" lift, more travel, 1" wider track, accent colors, etc

2" lift and 1.5-2" more travel, front and (probably) rear. Track is the same as stock. The old Pro had the same front lift, but none on the rear, and the same track as the stock truck as well. Same too-small 32" wimpy tires.

The rear springs are probably different than stock now, but I don't see any details on that.

All the functional suspension improvements could be done better for ~$3k or so. And you need to spend on better wheels and tires anyway.

From Motortrend: "Tundra TRD Pro

In addition to the Fox shocks with 46 mm pistons, the Tundra's suspension gets an extra 2 inches of lift, and wheel travel is increased by more than 1.5 inches in front and more than 2 inches in the rear. The full-size pickup gets the new Rigid Industries LED foglights and LED headlights with more menacing black accents, a new grille and hood scoop, and an available moonroof. The truck has a dual exhaust with black chrome exhaust tips.

In the back, “TRD Pro” is stamped in the rear quarter panels, and the truck gets new 18-inch BBS forged-aluminum, five-spoke satin black wheels with Michelin P275/65R18 all-terrain tires. Under the front end is a one-quarter-inch skidplate."

bkg

Explorer
All the functional suspension improvements could be done better for ~$3k or so. And you need to spend on better wheels and tires anyway.

I think that's key. Will be interesting to see the price points. Last time I looked (2015), the 4Runner and Tundra Pro's were selling above list... Which put the Tundra in the $50k range. The 4runner, IIRC, was in the $48k range. We bought our 4runner SR5 Premium for $36.5... Suspension is $1200 (goes on this weekend). Could add lockers and a lot of cosmetic stuff for the extra $10K...

Adventurous

Explorer
2" lift and 1.5-2" more travel, front and (probably) rear. Track is the same as stock. The old Pro had the same front lift, but none on the rear, and the same track as the stock truck as well. Same too-small 32" wimpy tires.

The rear springs are probably different than stock now, but I don't see any details on that.

From Motortrend: "Tundra TRD Pro

In addition to the Fox shocks with 46 mm pistons, the Tundra's suspension gets an extra 2 inches of lift, and wheel travel is increased by more than 1.5 inches in front and more than 2 inches in the rear. The full-size pickup gets the new Rigid Industries LED foglights and LED headlights with more menacing black accents, a new grille and hood scoop, and an available moonroof. The truck has a dual exhaust with black chrome exhaust tips.

In the back, “TRD Pro” is stamped in the rear quarter panels, and the truck gets new 18-inch BBS forged-aluminum, five-spoke satin black wheels with Michelin P275/65R18 all-terrain tires. Under the front end is a one-quarter-inch skidplate."

I mean, can you really put a price on menacing black accents?

rruff

Explorer
I mean, can you really put a price on menacing black accents?

I think it's hilarious when people spend good money to "chrome delete" a Limited, replacing all the chrome trim with black. Then it looks just like my bottom of the line SR.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
apparently, Nissan offering a 3" factory installed lift... announced at same show... if I read the captions correctly. interesting...

I wonder if its installed at the dealer? It said Icon would warranty the lift, so I guess that means if a shock blows out Nissan will tell you to send it to Icon?

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I bought my 2014 Toyota Tundra last summer based on a couple solid attributes: reliability, reliability, and proven reliability. It seems like every time I check the internet. people are crapping all over the Tundra.....no new this...no new that....boohoo...... Then in the same breath people whine that "they don;t build them like they used to" I couldn't care less about the fanciest new techno gadgets that are on the new trucks. I like....scratch that...I love my Tundra. In my humble opinion it is the most reliable, best performing 1/2 ton gas powered truck on the market. Period. I don't need 35 usb ports in my dash, I don't need 46 warming and cooling cup holders, or air conditioned seat.....what I need, and what I got was a truck with a very proven track record, with a motor that has more power than I will ever ask of it, a truck that seems to climb to the top of reliability and confidence and overall customer satisfaction reviews all over the place.

I bought a truck to throw my Four Wheel Camper on, replace all the suspension with aftermarket top quality products, add some more goodies like a winch and sliders and stuff, and spend the next 20 years driving it around North America knowing that by my reckoning I wouldn't have found a more reliable 1/2 ton gas truck.

Mileage isn't and has never been, my main focus. I consider my "rig" akin to an RV in it's overall purpose, not to a daily driver. I need it to get me where I want to go in comfort and with with the power to tackle the mountain passes and whatever we may face off-road that we encounter, and to get me home again.
I have no interest in a "small truck". I had an Xterra, and while it was great at what it did, it was a little on the small side comfort wise. My brother in law has a newer Tacoma....no thank you. I like the added space and comfort that a full size Tundra offers, and their is no comparison between any of the smaller V6 powered trucks/suv's and what lays beneath the hood of my Tundra. I can pull my travel trailer all day long at any speed I want, up any grade I want, and hardly know it's there. I hauled my new Four Wheel Camper back across the mountains last month and honestly the truck didn't even break a sweat.

But hey, my poor truck doesn't have the latest early warning traffic avoidance sonar whatchamacallit, or parallel park itself doo-hickey's in it. Oh what will I do?

bkg

Explorer

I live near their US HQ... from what I can see, they have done a decent job with creating a niche with the Titan XD. They are very popular here, likely due to brand/hometown loyalty. I have to give them credit for the XD - I don't like the exterior styling, but the rest of the truck is pretty dang nice. Well... at least the Pre-prod unit was the last time I saw it...

Dropping the regular cab is not overly surprising. They did that on the Tacoma already, right?

Clutch

<---Pass
I live near their US HQ... from what I can see, they have done a decent job with creating a niche with the Titan XD. They are very popular here, likely due to brand/hometown loyalty. I have to give them credit for the XD - I don't like the exterior styling, but the rest of the truck is pretty dang nice. Well... at least the Pre-prod unit was the last time I saw it...

Dropping the regular cab is not overly surprising. They did that on the Tacoma already, right?

Specs look really good on the XD...styling...good grief!

In this day-in-age of the family truckster, not surprising at all. Yep, dropped the Taco RC a couple years ago and the 5 lugger. (no longer have a truck that gets decent gas mileage after the 2WD 5 lugger was axed)

I liked the RCLB Tundy, would work perfect me since we have no spawn, that extra space behind the seat would be handy...I just didn't want to deal with dismal fuel consumption. If I were to get a fullsize RCLB with crappy gas mileage...it is going to be a F250 and a solid front axle.

GreenMonster_Camper_1_1024x1024.jpg

rruff

Explorer
I think that's key. Will be interesting to see the price points. Last time I looked (2015), the 4Runner and Tundra Pro's were selling above list... Which put the Tundra in the $50k range. The 4runner, IIRC, was in the $48k range. We bought our 4runner SR5 Premium for $36.5... Suspension is $1200 (goes on this weekend). Could add lockers and a lot of cosmetic stuff for the extra $10K...

$50k seems crazy to me. I paid $31.2k for mine. The higher trims come as package deals and always include a bunch of stuff I don't want for every thing I do want. And the aftermarket for Tundras is pretty decent. You'll spend less money upgrading exactly what you want. The only problem is the hassle of having to do that. If you don't enjoy customizing and DIY that is.

bkg

Explorer
Specs look really good on the XD...styling...good grief!

In this day-in-age of the family truckster, not surprising at all. Yep, dropped the Taco RC a couple years ago and the 5 lugger. (no longer have a truck that gets decent gas mileage after the 2WD 5 lugger was axed)

I liked the RCLB Tundy, would work perfect me since we have no spawn, that extra space behind the seat would be handy...IMG]

Well shoot... wasn’t aware they axed the 5-lug 2wd. Though not really all that surprised given the prerunner and low volume of the 5-lug.

I’ve always wanted to drive- just once- a RCSB 5.7 4x4 with a supercharger. That would be a blast of a truck.

Edit: I don’t mind the Titan styling. But the bulbous front fenders in the XD make one believe they were meant for a different cab.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well shoot... wasn't aware they axed the 5-lug 2wd. Though not really all that surprised given the prerunner and low volume of the 5-lug.

I've always wanted to drive- just once- a RCSB 5.7 4x4 with a supercharger. That would be a blast of a truck.

Edit: I don't mind the Titan styling. But the bulbous front fenders in the XD make one believe they were meant for a different cab.

Yeah it was the perfect grumpy old man cheap SOB truck, those could get high 20's on the hwy if you drive them like you're half dead.

That and they were a greta parts runner, but I think the small urban van and 40 mpg hatch backs that run around Napa parts are replacing them.

I know! SC 5.7 would be friggen killer, just watch the fuel gauge take a dive.

Don't think these are SCed...but pretty cool none-the-less

http://sdhqoffroad.com/silver2014tundrasinglecab/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior